2.5K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 664     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Downtown Oshawa: 43 pictures!

B

Brighter Hell

the east end of the GTA is anchored by oshawa, a working class town that's been the butt of more than a few jokes. and GM isn't helping by closing their best performing plant. but it has more character than mississauga :p

oshawa's a good place for those of you who like grit. some pics from a saturday afternoon in the fall...

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

once a place for the rich to be seen, then seedy underbelly, soon home to durham college and UOIT students.
013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

slabtacular!
016.jpg

simcoe st
017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

back to king st
022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

oshawa's fugly city hall
033.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

036.jpg

037.jpg

038.jpg

039.jpg

GM ads on a bus station. welcome to oshawa.
040.jpg

residential conversion
041.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

Thanks for the tour. Don't think I've ever passed through downtown Oshawa.

Downtown Oshawa is not bad. But it has declined. The opening of Oshawa Centre Mall, a like 10min walk from downtown Oshawa did not really help.

Although I guess things are looking up now.

I haven't been downtown Oshawa since the mid-90s. I must say it does look better than I remember it.

BTW, was this building used as a nighclub at one time?

006.jpg

Thanks for the pics.

I enjoy Oshawa. The downtown is worrying though, with its trend toward discount stores and methadone clinics.

I enjoy Oshawa. The downtown is worrying though, with its trend toward discount stores and methadone clinics.
I just pray this isn't close to downtown.
---------------------------------------------------------

Wal-Mart to introduce super grocery stores

John Stewart
Dec 14, 2005

Wal-Mart Canada may well launch a new round of store wars when they bring a massive supercentre concept to this country.

Supercentres, stores concentrating predominantly on groceries that are twice as large as standard Wal-Mart stores, have flourished in the United States where they are now number one in the sector. Critics say the American retail giant's foray into food has severely damaged many other chains in the U.S., where Wal-Mart now has the majority share of the market.

Andrew Pelletier, Wal-Mart's Director of Corporate Affairs, said the new stores will likely be about 190,000 square feet in size, compared to 120,000 square feet for a regular store.

While groceries are already sold at most of the firm's 256 Canadian stores, the new supercentres will sell fresh produce and meats and will include a bakery and delicatessen along with clothing, electronics and home design products.

Applications are already underway to open the first two supercentres in Oshawa and in London, Ontario in about a year.

Canada's leading grocery chains, Loblaws and Sobey's, have known for some time that the Wal-Mart challenge was coming. That's why they have both established super-stores of their own, which feature a variety of products, including clothing and home decor, which they originally did not sell in their stores.

Wal-Mart's headquarters are located in Mississauga. The company has been based in Mississauga since it first came to Canada in 1994.

Why wasn't UOIT built downtown? Well, I know why, but was it even considered?

Yep Darkstar...the Regent Concert Theatre nightclub. I remember it from back in the day probably around the mid ninties. The two big clubs out in Oshawa were Regent and Illusions.

Ahh, then my fuzzy memory serves me right. I did indeed spend a night clubbing to some Brit-centric indie rock back there in the mid-90s. I don't remember the name "The Regent," but it must have been it. It looks very familiar.

Back