News   Jul 17, 2024
 242     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 795     1 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 629     0 

Downtown Mississauga Master Plan

Coruscanti, the people creating these conceptual plans are not looking at street names at all: the only reason the term 'Main Street" has surfaced here is that it is just that, merely a term that describes a type of urban experience, and not a street name. And anyway, the 911 people would blow a gasket if another Main Street were added in Peel.

Looks like a great plan Louroz!

Meanwhile I still want a visual connection at some point through the ground floor of City Hall between the Living Arts Centre and the square to the south. Maybe with building another office tower for civic employees soon to be under construction, some consideration could be given to moving some ground (and even second) floor offices out of the existing City Hall so that the interior atrium and garden could be seen from large windows and doors on the north side of the building. And tell Hazel she could hire me to oversee the plan if she wants!

This is amazing. I googled " Mississauga Master Plan", but there were no hits on the topic. What is the background of this plan? Was it commissioned by the City, or is it some kind of speculative urban study done by Urban Design and Architecture students. Hoping this is the beginning of something good for good ole Missy. (Spent a good five years there!!).

Mississauga Urban Design Plan / Downtown/

Thanks. I eventually found it on the official website. I am totally blown away by this, and all of a sudden, excited and enthusiastic about Missy.

This plan MUST pass. It contains all the elements for a spectacular suburban retrofit. It can be a model of re-development for much of North America.

I encourage all UT members to spend some time perusing the conceptual plans. Especially slides 25 and 26 which illustrate the new streetscape along Burnhamthorpe.

How come I haven't been hearing anything about a Burnhamthorpe LRT. All I ever hear about is a potential Hurontatio LRT and even then there's barely any word of progress in that department.

The Hurontario LRT will make a detour around the City Centre - West on Rathburn, south on Living Arts Drive and East onto the three block stretch of Burnhamthorpe Road until it heads south on Hurontario again.

As for the Hurontario LRT, check out the transporation forum where there has been tons of information posted on it.

Louroz

‘Main Street’ to anchor City Centre
By: Joe Chin
jchin@mississauga.net

June 30, 2009 07:55 AM - The City of Mississauga should “get on” with plans to reconstruct Burnhamthorpe Rd. through the City Centre as the first step towards revitalizing the area, says Ward 4 Councillor Frank Dale.

“It’s one thing to have a concept, (but) it’s not going to make it a reality,” Dale said at a public meeting last night on the Downtown21 master plan.

Dale, who represents the area, noted the City has received federal infrastructure funds to rehabilitate the adjacent Civic Square — something it didn’t think would happen. Because of the unexpected windfall, he called for the two projects to be done simultaneously.

Ward 6 Councillor Carolyn Parrish agreed.

“We have an opportunity right now to make the first move and revamp Burnhamthorpe,” she said.

Plans for Burnhamthorpe Rd. drawn up by consultants Glatting Jackson Kercher Anglin Inc. include wide tree-lined sidewalks, protected bicycle lanes, and on-street parking on both sides of the street. As well, there will be two transit stations, one at the junction with Hurontario St. and another at the junction with a proposed new street running north-south (between Duke of York Blvd. and Kariya Dr.) from Webb Dr. to Square One Shopping Centre.

The latter, dubbed Main St., would become the “beating heart” of the downtown.

“The role and the design of the entire street is uncompromisingly geared to provide a vibrant and safe pedestrian-oriented place that attracts a diversity of people,” says the consultant's report.

The big challenge in revitalizing the City Centre, says Dale, is attracting employment to the area. He noted that the City has gone wrong over the years by providing cheaper land for developers in outlying industrial parks.

“(In essence), we were competing with ourselves,” he said.

Consultant Iain Dobson of Real Estate Search Corp. was more optimistic. Every single landowner he has spoken to, he says, wants to see growth return to City Centre.

“There’s a lot of interest,” he said.

Ed Sajecki, Mississauga’s commissioner of planning and building, was also upbeat.

“The combination of rapid transit (and) great quality of place — with the creation of a Main St. district and green initiatives — will help position downtown Mississauga to be economically competitive in Southern Ontario,” he said in his corporate report.

The next phase, said Sajecki, will start the process for implementation and will set priorities for short, medium and long-term action.

Source

So Frank Dale, the same councillor who allowed that garbage strip mall of a development happen on Burnhamthorpe and Central Parkway now wants to part the sea of traffic on Burnhamthrope Avenue and lead the citizens of his ward to the promised land of Urbantopia.

Seriously, where were you 4 years ago?

So Frank Dale, the same councillor who allowed that garbage strip mall of a development happen on Burnhamthorpe and Central Parkway now wants to part the sea of traffic on Burnhamthrope Avenue and lead the citizens of his ward to the promised land of Urbantopia.

Seriously, where were you 4 years ago?

Well, to be fair, that area isn't the City Centre. That is still no excuse for strip malls though.

You mean the one across Central Parkway Mall? That one is pretty unfortunate.

Speaking of Burnhamthorpe: what's up with the empty lots at Cawthra? There used to be a Shell station on the SW corner and an auto mechanic on the NW corner (with an Esso station, long long ago), but both have been empty for a long time now. I hope something worthwhile pops up here.

Detour of the LRT is crazy. Unless they are planning to bulldoze the entire corridor east of Hurontario, any LRT on Burnhamthorpe just to connect with CCTT is just stupid. The tail shouldn't wag the dog.

Detour of the LRT is crazy. Unless they are planning to bulldoze the entire corridor east of Hurontario, any LRT on Burnhamthorpe just to connect with CCTT is just stupid. The tail shouldn't wag the dog.

That a 3.67 km detour.

Another way to get free transit in this area so they can go to Sq One Mall.

The road folks want Confederation to be strictly traffic like Hurontario and force transit to the side streets for the core.

Frank cannot see the big picture as Malls are in his way.

Speaking of Burnhamthorpe: what's up with the empty lots at Cawthra? There used to be a Shell station on the SW corner and an auto mechanic on the NW corner (with an Esso station, long long ago), but both have been empty for a long time now. I hope something worthwhile pops up here.

Tear out some of those homes and you could put a condo or apartment building there.

Oil company cutting back on overhead as well making you drive more to get gas to make a bigger buck return.

Speaking of Burnhamthorpe: what's up with the empty lots at Cawthra? There used to be a Shell station on the SW corner

There have been discussions with City Planning staff and Councillor Dale for the former Shell site, including the townhouses immediately to the south. It's really preliminary right now, but in due time there may be applications made to amend the OP/zoning from a service station to residential. It will still be awhile before the site sees any remediation.

Knowing Mississauga, it will probably be two strip malls.

Back