News   Aug 12, 2024
 348     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 402     1 

Downtown, Midtown and Uptown

Downtown - South of Bloor
Midtown - Bloor to Eglinton (inclusive)
Uptown - North of Eglinton

Anything West of Bathurst and East of Parliament is out of scope. That's it, you're welcome.

UPTOWN - Centred on Bloor-Yorkville; from St. George / Avenue Rd to Mount Pleasant / Sherbourne; from Yonge to St. Clair
MIDTOWN (including North Toronto) - Centred on Yonge; from Avenue Road to Mount Pleasant; from St. Clair to Yonge Blvd

The heart of UPTOWN = Bloor-Yorkville
The heart of MIDTOWN = Yonge & Eg

Ah, no. East of Parliament is still downtown to the Don River/DVP as far as anyone who lives here is concerned...

Ah, sorry. Very touching, But you are totally out of scope. I would describe you all as just Down by The River.

Does anybody use the term 'midtown' in Toronto and not sound like a complete douchebag? What's next, Upper West Side/Lower East etc? Puke.

Downtown (South of Bloor, generally speaking) and Uptown (north of Bloor, generally speaking) sound like reasonable Toronto catch-all designations. If anybody wants to get more specific, well there's Yorkville, Rosedale, Cabbagetown, etc. You get my point.

Does anybody use the term 'midtown' in Toronto and not sound like a complete douchebag? What's next, Upper West Side/Lower East etc? Puke.

I agree, but I also can't help but think how useful it would be to have generic terms for the shoulder areas on either side of downtown. The "east end" (Yonge to the Don) and "west end" (Spadina to the railway tracks or so) each have reasonably collective identities but yet we fail to give them collective names because of a fear that we would be ripping off New York or London.

I live at Yonge and St. Clair now and frequently take walks up to Eglinton. There are a lot of businesses around here which reference the moniker "Midtown," and it seems to fit quite nicely, since Yonge and Eglinton does appear to be roughly in the geographic center of the city.

That said, although I do see Yonge and Eglinton intensifying, there are serious barriers to there being any sense of true integration between the 3 Midtown nodes. Wealthy residential enclaves, a huge prestigious cemetery and the general lack of through streets or any true grid are some of the elements that will inhibit development for years to come.

Last edited:
I agree, but I also can't help but think how useful it would be to have generic terms for the shoulder areas on either side of downtown. The "east end" (Yonge to the Don) and "west end" (Spadina to the railway tracks or so) each have reasonably collective identities but yet we fail to give them collective names because of a fear that we would be ripping off New York or London.

I get your point but i see an east/west divide being far more useful and relevant to Toronto 'downtown' (south of Bloor) than uptown, and maybe just because it's the older part of the city with a greater variety and diversity of neighbourhoods? In this sense i just don't really feel that an 'upper/lower' specification is really that necessary, which is probably why it hasn't really emerged in practical usage. Also, I don't really get the sense that east side/west side is used any more or less than east end/west end, which would imply to me that these things really are basic directional indicators rather than denoting/ascribing any particular collective identities as they do in London or New York.

I live at Yonge and St. Clair now and frequently take walks up to Eglinton. There are a lot of businesses around here which reference the moniker "Midtown," and it seems to fit quite nicely, since Yonge and Eglinton does appear to be roughly in the geographic center of the city.

That said, although I do see Yonge and Eglinton intensifying, there are serious barriers to there being any sense of true integration between the 3 Midtown nodes. Wealthy residential enclaves, a huge prestigious cemetery and the general lack of through streets or any true grid are some of the elements that will inhibit development for years to come.

Yeah, the idea of Lawrence Park CEOs and Lytton Park soccer moms being "midtowners" seems a bit ridiculous. North of Eglinton is the most suburban part of the Old City of Toronto.

Is "Midtown" supposed to be just the Yonge-Eglinton intersection (i.e. a secondary CBD)? Or is it supposed to be everything in the old city north of Rosedale Valley and east of Bathurst (i.e. akin to the west end and east end)?

Downtown (South of Bloor, generally speaking) and Uptown (north of Bloor, generally speaking) sound like reasonable Toronto catch-all designations. If anybody wants to get more specific, well there's Yorkville, Rosedale, Cabbagetown, etc. You get my point.

I just received a condo ad promoting "living on the lower east side", which refers to Richmond/Ontario.

I don't feel so strongly about midtown. Although Toronto's midtown is more of a misnomer - over 90% of our midtown is residential with lowrise single family homes plus a couple of commercial streets. I have trouble calling such places "midtown". Others may feel differently. Our midtown is roughly 6 blocks north and south of Eglinton ave and 100 meters east or west of Yonge st, more like a strip than a town.

Last edited:
Yeah, the idea of Lawrence Park CEOs and Lytton Park soccer moms being "midtowners" seems a bit ridiculous. North of Eglinton is the most suburban part of the Old City of Toronto.

Is "Midtown" supposed to be just the Yonge-Eglinton intersection (i.e. a secondary CBD)? Or is it supposed to be everything in the old city north of Rosedale Valley and east of Bathurst (i.e. akin to the west end and east end)?

Y/E is not a CBD. It has too few office building to be called a CBD.

High Park is clearly in the west end. The Danforth and the Beaches in the east end. But where is Casa Loma or Summerhill? Is "midtown" more or less synonymous with the riding of St. Paul's?

Last edited:
A friend of mine recently quipped that everything north of Toronto is Banff to which I replied: everything between Dundas and Banff is suburbs.

Back