News   Apr 24, 2024
 453     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 632     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 506     0 

Downtown Markham

Regarding the projects on the right side, is any of that even planned yet ?

From what I recall the stuff far to the west (i.e. left side above) is what's being build not, the taller building though, not yet ?

The taller buildings are all residential towers part of another project ? Forgot the name.

Also is that big building the stadium ?

It looks like the arena to me.

The buildings on the far right are part of the Downtown Markham project since the model shows everything west of the GO line. The other project (can't remember the name either) is east of the GO line. Whether or not they will be approved at this height is another matter of course.

Isn't the stadium/arena going to be built as a part of the Canadian Sports Institute east of the GO line? I think it was to be located around the YMCA

Speaking of the project east of the GO line, here are two interesting documents:

One from the town outlining all the projects in Markham Centre as of earlier this year (the map is handy): http://www.markham.ca/wps/wcm/conne...ERES&CACHEID=f143220045a83d86bb3bbb37ad237556

Second, here's a planning update for the mobility hub, which outlines the proposed approach for dealing with building heights. Assuming this is approved, it opens the door for 20+ storey towers: http://www.markham.ca/markham/ccbs/...100119/Jan 10-10 DSC_ by Urban Stratagies.pdf

Speaking of the project east of the GO line, here are two interesting documents:

One from the town outlining all the projects in Markham Centre as of earlier this year (the map is handy): http://www.markham.ca/wps/wcm/conne...ERES&CACHEID=f143220045a83d86bb3bbb37ad237556

Second, here's a planning update for the mobility hub, which outlines the proposed approach for dealing with building heights. Assuming this is approved, it opens the door for 20+ storey towers: http://www.markham.ca/markham/ccbs/...100119/Jan 10-10 DSC_ by Urban Stratagies.pdf
Cool. Just one thing though, it says that Uptown Markham would have "300,00" sqft of retail... I wonder if that's supposed to be 30,000 or 300,000?

last time i went for a field trip to 'downtown' markham, my shoes got ruined by the mud when i took a short-cut and i had to pee outside because there wasn't a single store.

last time i went for a field trip to 'downtown' markham, my shoes got ruined by the mud when i took a short-cut and i had to pee outside because there wasn't a single store.

Right ... that's all in the plan ... the first stores are comming in the building with a crane in them now i.e. Nexus.

Another document with some relevance:
http://yorkregioncondoinfo.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/mista-overview.pdf

MISTA - Markham International Sports Training Academy

I'm confused about something, on some pages there's a comparison to UofT Scarborough for the pan am games ... but we already know Markham lost this bid.
So they're just saying they can compete against Scarborough ?

Some of the renderings don't add up i.e. make no sense (I don't mean the giant towers) but just the placement of them, also some mismatch from one another i.e. some with office / residential components some without. But that's fine I guess it's probably early.

Read a little more: They hosting water polo so they still need a pool somewhere, I could swear that was going somewhere else though.

Finally, it seems Markham is really pissed about losing it, you can tell from the tone of that report you linked and a couple articles I read ...

Honestly, if that was there plan (i.e. the one shown) that seems a lot better then Scarborough! Less the tie in with a school.

Last edited:
i just think its disingenuously named. you can't just call yourself downtown, you have to earn that. you don't earn it when you are far away from everything and dont even have a tim hortons, no matter what plans are in place for the future. its a blatant trick from bratty, not unlike those tricky names of suburbs that conjure the image of meadows and agrarian lifestyles.

i just think its disingenuously named. you can't just call yourself downtown, you have to earn that. you don't earn it when you are far away from everything and dont even have a tim hortons, no matter what plans are in place for the future. its a blatant trick from bratty, not unlike those tricky names of suburbs that conjure the image of meadows and agrarian lifestyles.

But if you look at the plans, if envisioned, it has a chance no ? It's not set to complete against downtown Toronto of course (though for office space who knows given Toronto's problems in that regard), but compare it to NYCC / MCC, there's a chance no ?

So far they seem to be sticking to the plan.

it depends on what you mean by compete. If you mean successfully attracting transnationals to locate their offices there for a twenty years or less, then I would say perhaps, but the remoteness of the location and the debilitating traffic snarls of markham might even make that an impossibility.
in any other sense, i would say definitely no. NYCC and MCC are not at all like DM, they are both areas that are seeing intensification on an already existing landscape, and their projects are all done by different people for different reasons at different times. the builders here are using the same paternalistic b-s way of planning that they have the whole time, which is to control every aspect of a large area, not a single property. this is much different than how NYCC was intensified over the course of about 150 years! way before there was even a four story house near yonge and shep, there was definitely a place to get a glass of water and go to the bathroom. because those are basic human needs.
DM is not strategically placed, it has literally nothing going on, and even if it does one day, it will work much like an amusement park or a mall, as it is not a natural environment made by a community of people, but rather by the same shitty people that made the shitty suburbs that surround DM for miles all around.
and (sorry, total rant), no matter how much people gas on about viva, the remote location will ensure that DM is entirely autocentric. it may have pedestrian only streets, but probably in the same way Wonderland does.

j
it depends on what you mean by compete. If you mean successfully attracting transnationals to locate their offices there for a twenty years or less, then I would say perhaps, but the remoteness of the location and the debilitating traffic snarls of markham might even make that an impossibility.
in any other sense, i would say definitely no. NYCC and MCC are not at all like DM, they are both areas that are seeing intensification on an already existing landscape, and their projects are all done by different people for different reasons at different times. the builders here are using the same paternalistic b-s way of planning that they have the whole time, which is to control every aspect of a large area, not a single property. this is much different than how NYCC was intensified over the course of about 150 years! way before there was even a four story house near yonge and shep, there was definitely a place to get a glass of water and go to the bathroom. because those are basic human needs.
DM is not strategically placed, it has literally nothing going on, and even if it does one day, it will work much like an amusement park or a mall, as it is not a natural environment made by a community of people, but rather by the same shitty people that made the shitty suburbs that surround DM for miles all around.
and (sorry, total rant), no matter how much people gas on about viva, the remote location will ensure that DM is entirely autocentric. it may have pedestrian only streets, but probably in the same way Wonderland does.

There's a direct GO line that goes here, soon enough there will be frequent two-way all day service. There is a dedicated lane all the way to Yonge and 7 and likely in the future a subway (at Yonge and Hi-way 7).

There are a huge amount of condos planed for this area, just check out the downtown / uptown markham plans, and now this (i.e. check out the PDF). Maybe there's nothing today but after all the condos are built what then ?

i feel that the mista thing is basically just boosterism, as is the idea that Go will be both ways frequent service. even if those things do happen (i have scepticism), it doesn't change what i said before, or the fact that there is no grid of streets, and there's only a few ways in and out of the neighborhood. (ahh, now where have i seen that before?)

Back