News   Jul 12, 2024
 981     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 853     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 346     0 

"Downtown Core Line" - Possible Alignments?

What is your prefere alignment for a new E/W subway through Downtown

• Total voters
I voted Wellington (with transfers at St. Andrew, King and Union) as it's a suitable compromise between Queen and the rail corridor (the two frontrunners here).

Queen, imo, is unsuitable for anything beyond a streetcar LRT as it's mostly a low rise retail/residential street serving a local population, with little hope of significant intensification. Also, an approx 5 year construction window would be enormously disruptive to the fragile complexion of a retail strip that relies on charm and local character to attract a large amount of pedestrian traffic.

The railroad corridor, otoh, is a somewhat forbidding wasteland that may not attract anything but commuter traffic, with most potential local traffic opting for the nearest streetcar service.

Wellington offers a convenient compromise on a mostly charmless street that wouldn't suffer too much from a long construction period. (St Lawrence neighbourhood is one exception.) It also has lots of potential for intensification and would benefit from both commuter and local traffic.

For all the Queen Street fans:

I'd like some explanation for the disparities between Queen and the other corridors.

The King streetcars carry 10 000 more riders and the King subway stops handle 37 000 more riders, than their Queen Street counterparts. Even the Dundas/St. Patrick and College/Queen's Park combos carry more subway riders (5000 and 11 000 more riders respectively). Union station alone handles more riders than Queen and Osgoode combined. So what's the ridership case for Queen? And if there's so much development on Queen, how come the subway ridership is not keeping pace with even non-contenders like College or Dundas?

If you use that logic, then you should put the subway into Finch rather than Queen, King, or Union, because there are even more passengers there!

If you use that logic, then you should put the subway into Finch rather than Queen, King, or Union, because there are even more passengers there!

But Finch clearly has such high ridership because it's a terminus. That'll change once the Yonge extension is built. What's the explanation for Queen fairing poorly against College, King and Dundas Streets which all have a similar local context?

I think it's due to the fact that Queen's streetcar is so unreliable compared to King, College or Dundas streetcars.

But Finch clearly has such high ridership because it's a terminus. That'll change once the Yonge extension is built. What's the explanation for Queen fairing poorly against College, King and Dundas Streets which all have a similar local context?
Union is also a terminus; I highly doubt that anywhere near as much of the traffic at Union is changing at Bloor to the BD, compared to trips originating at King or Queen. You might well have a point with King.

But as I've said ... until we actually get the data from the origin-destination studies and demand modelling then this is simply a fools game.

You do realize that most of those neighbourhoods could be equally well served by a King alignment through the core (and Queen in the east end). Moreover, only a hand full of your list come even half way to what's going on at CityPlace.

King and Queen are already overcapacity and cannot even be put into dedicated ROWs since there is no room, and have far lower capacity compared to the waterfront lines proposed as a result. As a relief line, the priority should be about servicing the existing areas more than the new areas. While King is clearly the most urgent, and has (by a wide margin) more development, Queen should not be considered insignificant either. The sum of all these innercity neighbourhoods along with gentrification potential in downtown's Ontario Housing communities, could easily trump the demand level for mass transit that Cityplace would.

Lest we forget, Spadina is walking distance from both the Central Business District and Union Stn; has a very frequently ran streetcar route at its doorstep today; and will soon have new Breemer-Front West LRV and LRT routes running through this communities. Combined headways during rush hour for the 509/510/513/515 and WWLRT could be as frequent as every minute. And best of all the spacing of stops will be closeknit, which is of most convenience to local pedestrians.

And if the argument that you and Northern Magnus bring up about "potential" is to be applied fairly, then what about your list? Corktown is still a work in progress. Ditto for Regent Park. And the latter is even more of a work in progress than CityPlace.

I could list out literally dozens of condominium/loft infill projects mentioned on this very website that are either recently completed or are under construction as we speak. This is all going on in spite of not being promised a new subway. Add up the demand for mass transit that these new communities will place on a system already choking with too many riders through the innercity, and then explain to me where ultimately is in a worse position, today and 25 years from now?

Cityplace is only one neighbourhood. Once it is built it's history. Whether it actually generates enough transit-oriented commuter traffic to the levels worth sustaining a subway line through it remains to be seen. The downtown core as a whole needs rapid transit, not just the southernmost periphery. Also is it not obvious that anyone desiring points off central Dundas (e.g Chinatown or Regent Park) may opt to walk it down to a Queen Line as well? They likely would not were the alignment anymore to the south. That's the vantage point Queen has over a Wellington/Front/CNR alignment; a wider catchment net of potential riders.

Improbable based on what? If the city feels it necessary to build a LRT for Waterfront West instead of prioritizing improvements for the downtown streetcars, it's obvious where the planners think the demand is.

The demand speaks for itself. 501 Queen- 43,500; 505 Dundas- 35,200; 506 Carlton- 41,200; 504/508 King- 53,100. Roughly two-thirds of these routes' ridership stems from the innercity. We could also throw in the north-south feeder routes which number in the tens of thousands on-board per route everyday.

I am not going to suggest that what you are saying is patently untrue. But I would definitely not resort to rhetorical terms like "improbable" without the evidence to back it up.

The only credible evidence we should be citing is that which indicates what transit use conditions are now, and not what they could be based on computed algorithms. This is the same issue I have with the RHC proposal.

Lastly on this point, just as it would be fair to consider the impact of a Queen subway on other streetcar lines like King, the reverse is also true. A line that intersects Queen twice is likely to significantly relieve Queen. Who would take a streetcar all the way to Yonge or University when half way through your ride you can catch a subway that'll get you there in minutes.

This I agree with, except to say some may want to avoid the hassle of a transfer if both streetcar and DRL and destined for the same place. Fare integration on the GO coupled with 5-minute headways coming to the Georgetown and Lakeshore corridors could also do the same job of intersecting Queen twice as a CNR alignment would. As a Relief Line, the priority should be to follow as closely as possible the corridor or corridors that are not capable of meeting the demand levels today. Duplicating GO Transit service with a local subway through the same corridor(s) doesn't introduce improved transit to neglected preexisting choke points in the system.

The fact that there's a bunch of LRT/streetcar routes servicing those areas means there's sufficient demand for transit there. One could argue it's far more efficient to service that much demand with a subway stop instead of three streetcar routes.

And here's where you've lost me. Kilometre apart spaced subway stations are less pedestrian friendly than a streetcar stopping every 300 metres.

It's always an assumption that it's all about the waterfront. It's not. That's where all the new growth is to be sure. But there are other reasons to choose the other corridors. For example, my support of King, Adelaide or Wellington is based on current ridership on King and lack of capacity at Union. It's also important for me that the target market (commuters from Scarborough and East York) be able to access stations south of the DRL with less stops than the combination of Bloor-Danforth and YUS, because that'll have yield the speed to make the line attractive.

Like I said earlier, the DRL I'd advocate for is only 7 stops from Pape-Union. That it necessarily has to follow the CNR alignment in order to achieve this is where I disagree. A fan-shaped DRL swinging up several streets en route to the Bloor-Danforth introduces mass transit to far more priorty communities than the CNR ROW alone could. Think about it, only the Portlands is really excluded from the catchment of a more northerly aligned DRL (West Don Lands in fact extends upto Queen & River Sts). St Lawrence, Distillery and Riverside would all have common stops to both proposals.

But then you'd tack on a 5 min walk for them which could be quite tedious in the Winter. Given that most of the ridership on YUS is bound for King, St.Andrew and Union, wouldn't it make sense in your example to actually send them straight there. What could be better than sending riders straight to King and Bay?

So what's wrong with them walking south via the climate-controlled PATH network? A hypothetical Queen-Bay Station takes into account that the CBD isn't the be-all/end-all of desirable hot-spots within downtown. City Hall, Eaton Centre, the Opera House plus interchanges with Osgoode & Queen Stns are valid reasons to support such a stop location.

While I don't support a rail corridor alignment, I'll call BS on this scaremongering. Even the TTC has not raised red flags about the technical risk of such an alignment. It was infill decades ago, since then the YUS line and the TTC streetcar have been in operation without significant hiccups. And they were built to significantly lower engineering standards than what's demanded today. Have there been tunnels collapsing or electrical surges, etc? Lastly on this point, subways are built through bedrock. They aren't built through top soil. That it's infill won't matter when you are tunneling below the infill.

Tunneling through a natural aquifer is more costly. Most of the land around the rail corridor southwards is fill, there is no base rock til several metres down literally at water table level. And beneath Wellington there's a matrix of parking structures and building foundations to contend with. King's even worse in this regard. All the elevation drops and sloping the subway right-of-way would have to make to get through this area is engineerially difficult and very expensive. You could not build a St Lawrence Stn if the line had to directly stop at Union, and worse still, mitigating all the railway properties east of Parliament would mean having to tunnel underneath them deep, under the Don River basin deep!

Queen with its typically low- to mid-rise structures lack these significant subsurface obstacles. It's not scaremongering BS to point out these basic elements of the topography of where we're planning to build these things; and why there are factually-based reasons to critically oppose a CNR alignment that transcends my bias.

The College streetcar is just as unreliable as the Queen car ... if anything more College cars are short-turned at Coxwell, than Queen cars heading to the Beach. Long gaps are particularly evident at the end of rush-hour. The reason it doesn't feel as bad though, is that the average spacing in PM rush-hour on Gerrard is one car every 4 minutes; so if one is short-turned, it's only an 8-minute wait. If 2 are short-turned, it's a 12-minute wait. But on Queen, with the less frequent 6-minute spacing, if one is short-turned, it's a 12-minute wait ... and if 2 are short-turned it's an 18-minute wait.

If they were running CLRVs instead of ALRVs on Queen, it wouldn't seem so unreliable.

And this is my fear with the new 30-metre LRVs ... is that we'll be looking at an 8-minute base service in rush-hour instead of a 4-minute base service ... creating much larger gaps when things go bad. Though perhaps by then they'll have finally got the Next Bus system working, and at least we'll know that we're in for a 20-minute wait, and to go walk to the subway instead ...

I voted Wellington (with transfers at St. Andrew, King and Union) as it's a suitable compromise between Queen and the rail corridor (the two frontrunners here).

Wellington offers a convenient compromise on a mostly charmless street that wouldn't suffer too much from a long construction period. (St Lawrence neighbourhood is one exception.) It also has lots of potential for intensification and would benefit from both commuter and local traffic.

I like Wellington too but only for the centremost section between Spadina and Sherbourne. I'd have the DRL gradually transition back upto Queen level as it runs further out. With Wellington we could potentially have 3 interchange stations with the Y-U-S line: St Andrew/Entertainment (Simcoe), Union/CBD (Bay) and King/St Lawrence (Church).

I think that I compromise subway of sorts doesn't have to be slow or bogged down with too many minor stops. We just need good planning and advisement to ensure all downtown residents and visitors get the best value for money out of the new subway, and not have it too narrowly focused on catering to the CBD & Central Waterfront communities.

The College streetcar is just as unreliable as the Queen car ... if anything more College cars are short-turned at Coxwell, than Queen cars heading to the Beach. Long gaps are particularly evident at the end of rush-hour. The reason it doesn't feel as bad though, is that the average spacing in PM rush-hour on Gerrard is one car every 4 minutes; so if one is short-turned, it's only an 8-minute wait. If 2 are short-turned, it's a 12-minute wait. But on Queen, with the less frequent 6-minute spacing, if one is short-turned, it's a 12-minute wait ... and if 2 are short-turned it's an 18-minute wait.

If they were running CLRVs instead of ALRVs on Queen, it wouldn't seem so unreliable.

And this is my fear with the new 30-metre LRVs ... is that we'll be looking at an 8-minute base service in rush-hour instead of a 4-minute base service ... creating much larger gaps when things go bad. Though perhaps by then they'll have finally got the Next Bus system working, and at least we'll know that we're in for a 20-minute wait, and to go walk to the subway instead ...

I said back in 2005 and since then at TTC meetings that headway will be 10 minutes in place of the current 6 minutes and we will be exchanging one cattle car for another with no room to grow going with the new LRT.

Walking to the subway is out of the question unless you are in the core.

I watch 8 ALRV's and 1 CLRV go east at Roncesvalles within 8 minutes on Sunday at 5:30 pm and it was over 10 minutes that I was there for a westbound to show up. When it did, it was shorting turning at the loop. A few minutes later, a Long Branch car show up.

I have waited for 20+ minutes for a westbound car to show up at Yonge far too many times.

I don't see why a "single intersection point" with YUS is dangerous. How many transfers are we expecting from YUS to DRL and vice versa?

Union is a busy station during rush hour. Outside of that it's not that bad at all. With renovations I don't see how Union could possibly be overloaded by the DRL. On one hand, people say it's not important because it's a hub not a destination. On the other hand, people say the DRL will overload Union. So which is it?

With only one interchange between YUS and DRL, I can just see that station potentially becoming another Bloor-Yonge (although I don't see it ever handling quite as many passengers as B-Y does now). I just think if we give travellers more options of where to transfer, they will choose whichever is most convenient for them, instead of being limited to just one.

And with regards to 'not being that bad at all' outside of peak periods, I reply this: neither is Bloor-Yonge, but we're still trying to relieve it.

Also, with regards to the hub vs destination thing, I again reply with this: Bloor-Yonge is a hub, not a destination, yet it is overwhelmed during rush hour. (Note: yes, I do realize that there are several office towers and the like around B-Y, but the majority of the people who de-train there are doing so to transfer lines, not exit the station).

The only credible evidence we should be citing is that which indicates what transit use conditions are now, and not what they could be based on computed algorithms. This is the same issue I have with the RHC proposal.

What??? So what you basically just said is "let's design the subdivision to fit this many people, but we'll wait to see who moves in before we even start looking at building a school". It makes no sense. You don't wait until the train hits you before you realize you should start running...

The whole reason why the DRL is even happening is because of the PROJECTIONS that stated that Bloor-Yonge, even with new transit signals, new subway cars, etc, will be very near its capacity by 2031. Ergo, we need to do something.

I like Wellington too but only for the centremost section between Spadina and Sherbourne. I'd have the DRL gradually transition back upto Queen level as it runs further out. With Wellington we could potentially have 3 interchange stations with the Y-U-S line: St Andrew/Entertainment (Simcoe), Union/CBD (Bay) and King/St Lawrence (Church).

I would agree with that, as long as there aren't too many stops along Queen to the point where it reduces the speed of the line (ie no mid-block stations like on Bloor). Where it enters and exits the core will ultimately determine how effective the line is.

Last edited:
King and Queen are already overcapacity and cannot even be put into dedicated ROWs since there is no room, and have far lower capacity compared to the waterfront lines proposed as a result. As a relief line, the priority should be about servicing the existing areas more than the new areas. While King is clearly the most urgent, and has (by a wide margin) more development, Queen should not be considered insignificant either. The sum of all these innercity neighbourhoods along with gentrification potential in downtown's Ontario Housing communities, could easily trump the demand level for mass transit that Cityplace would.

What we'll more likely see with gentrification is ridership declines...many areas along Queen have dropped 10% or more in population just in the past 5 years. A route like Queen has tons more capacity and everyone knows this.

So what's wrong with them walking south via the climate-controlled PATH network? A hypothetical Queen-Bay Station takes into account that the CBD isn't the be-all/end-all of desirable hot-spots within downtown. City Hall, Eaton Centre, the Opera House plus interchanges with Osgoode & Queen Stns are valid reasons to support such a stop location.

They won't walk...not any real distance, anyway. They won't transfer to the DRL and trudge around the YUS loop after that when they can take the subway straight to Union or College. The main (or maybe only) way to increase the distance people will walk after getting off the DRL (or to get them to transfer to the YUS loop for short bits) is to increase the length of the DRL (all the way up to Seneca). Osgoode isn't a very good place for a massive and important piece of infrastructure like a subway interchange.

Queen with its typically low- to mid-rise structures lack these significant subsurface obstacles. It's not scaremongering BS to point out these basic elements of the topography of where we're planning to build these things; and why there are factually-based reasons to critically oppose a CNR alignment that transcends my bias.

There's surface obstacles along Queen, though, that are as bad - if not worse - than whatever supposedly insurmountable subsurface obstacles people assume/imagine lie elsewhere.

Also, with regards to the hub vs destination thing, I again reply with this: Bloor-Yonge is a hub, not a destination, yet it is overwhelmed during rush hour. (Note: yes, I do realize that there are several office towers and the like around B-Y, but the majority of the people who de-train there are doing so to transfer lines, not exit the station).

Your argument doesn't make sense to me. Union is more of a destination than Bloor-Yonge: tons of people get off at Union (in terms of GO passengers anyway who never take the TTC). So it'd be in even less danger than B-Y of ever having overcrowding problems with the DRL there.

Back