News   Jul 11, 2024
 165     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 532     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Downtown Brantford

There is a road named the Wayne Gretzky Parkway, and also a sports complex named after him, and a monument. I believe his father, Walter, still lives in Brantford.

The other famous guy from Brantford is Alexander Graham Bell. Although he lived elsewhere as an adult, he returned to Brantford frequently and the first long distance phone call was made from Brantford to Paris.
00084.jpg

Ugh

Great Pics of a very sad place.

I can't believe any community (in Canada) would let its downtown fall to bits like that.

What a crying shame to see all those historical buildings rotting and vacant.

But instead of inspired renewal of downtown, their council was all pre-occupied with a great new 'big box' development going in at the 403. Ummm, if the downtown weren't already dead.....way to kill it!

I think they need to do several things....

First off...get rid of the one way Dalhousie and Colbourne.

This, just like downtown Hamilton; just like Richmond & Adelaide shows what happens to streets where its all about how fast you can get through downtown, instead of getting TO downtown.

Then they need to get rid of that wreck of a mall.

They need to capitalize on their waterfront better....(did downtown Brantford always turn its back to the Grand? Does anyone know?)

After that its the usual story of getting some new housing/condos/lofts in the core.

Usually the rest takes care of itself from there.

First off...get rid of the one way Dalhousie and Colbourne.

This, just like downtown Hamilton; just like Richmond & Adelaide shows what happens to streets where its all about how fast you can get through downtown, instead of getting TO downtown.

Then they need to get rid of that wreck of a mall.

I don't think one way streets in a downtown really have anything to do with its vibrancy. In Peterborough, Water St. and George St. are both one way streets through downtown and they're doing fine. Downtown malls (again, like in Peterborough) can also give interesting small businesses that can't afford street-front prices a home. There are many factors that affect small cities' downtowns and their vibrancy. Brantford's problems run a lot deeper than one ways streets and malls. Was it not recently ranked the most dangerous city in Ontario?

I don't think one way streets in a downtown really have anything to do with its vibrancy. In Peterborough, Water St. and George St. are both one way streets through downtown and they're doing fine.

Yeah, Montreal is also full of one-way streets... Ste-Catherine is one-way...

The other famous guy from Brantford is Alexander Graham Bell.

Don't forget Pauline Johnson:

A little Canadian cultural moment on UT, I wonder if she writes of the Grand River?:

The Song My Paddle Sings (Pauline Johnson)

West wind, blow from your prairie nest,
Blow from the mountains, blow from the west.
The sail is idle, the sailor too;
O! wind of the west, we wait for you.
Blow, blow!
I have wooed you so,
But never a favour you bestow.
You rock your cradle the hills between,
But scorn to notice my white lateen.

I stow the sail, unship the mast:
I wooed you long but my wooing's past;
My paddle will lull you into rest.
O! drowsy wind of the drowsy west,
Sleep, sleep,
By your mountain steep,
Or down where the prairie grasses sweep!
Now fold in slumber your laggard wings,
For soft is the song my paddle sings.

August is laughing across the sky,
Laughing while paddle, canoe and I,
Drift, drift,
Where the hills uplift
On either side of the current swift.

The river rolls in its rocky bed;
My paddle is plying its way ahead;
Dip, dip,
While the waters flip
In foam as over their breast we slip.

And oh, the river runs swifter now;
The eddies circle about my bow.
Swirl, swirl!
How the ripples curl
In many a dangerous pool awhirl!

And forward far the rapids roar,
Fretting their margin for evermore.
Dash, dash,
With a mighty crash,
They seethe, and boil, and bound, and splash.

Be strong, O paddle! be brave, canoe!
The reckless waves you must plunge into.
Reel, reel.
On your trembling keel,
But never a fear my craft will feel.

We've raced the rapid, we're far ahead!
The river slips through its silent bed.
Sway, sway,
As the bubbles spray
And fall in tinkling tunes away.

And up on the hills against the sky,
A fir tree rocking its lullaby,
Swings, swings,
Its emerald wings,
Swelling the song that my paddle sings.

Wow Tewder, thanks for the memories. I hadn't read or thought of that poem since elementary school.

Downtown Brantford is getting marginally better than it was a few years ago. The Laurier campus has had a good deal to do with that, I think. But they still have a ways to go.

It's amazing how there is such a contrast to the vibrant cities of Kitchener - Waterloo and Cambridge, which are not so far up the highway but almost seem to be in a different world.

How many Canadian students had to stand in class and recite that poem? Usually wearing some racist white version of an indian costume, innocently enough though I guess :)

You can visit Johnson's homestead by the way, although I believe it is in the process of restoration and will be opened as a museum. I can hardly believe that her life story hasn't been portrayed in film. What a fascinating person and life!

Back