News   Jul 29, 2024
 244     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 367     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Downsview Sunrise Propane Explosion

Go figure that they are now going to review all the industrial zoning. Why does it always take something like this to happen before action is taken.

the houses were there way before the propane place. why they would allow a facility like this across the street from housing and less than 500m away from two schools indicates some really bad zoning decisions.

Hey, lay the blame on whomever for the explosion
d7afd7883ab1a964efe238d749a7f6cf.jpg

Well Miller even amazed me with how quickly he passed the bag of crap on this one. It was so quick and he was so far away that he didn't have to even have to wipe his hands.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_25629.aspx

Everyone knows Maria is an expert on zoning issues! Can't wait to hear what she's coming up with from the bunker on this one. Hopefully she won't get too offended by the garlic and crosses Miller will be wearing around her over the next little while. :D

it's amazing how when someone asks a question about asbestos that a very long answer is provided that doesn't answer the original question at all.

asbestos was released into the neighborhood and even though you can pick up the visible pieces, you can't pick up all the asbestos debris that is invisible to the eye. is has probably blanketed the nearby streets, gone into peoples homes and will linger for a while before the concentration of fibers get diluted.

also, why did they first issue a statement that air quality tests were fine and then a long time after state there was asbestos?

The zoning was industrial way before the houses were built.

so what? i don't think that should give someone the right to do anything they want on their property, especially when it comes to dangerous goods. for christ sakes, you can get into trouble for something far less because of the potential danger it could cause. for example- illegal signs, wood fences not to code, over capacity at clubs, having long grass, etc.

the houses were there way before the propane place.

So what?
They shouldn't have built their homes in an industrial neighbourhood.

i don't think that should give someone the right to do anything they want on their property,

You don't think zoning laws should dictate what a property is used for?

So what?
They shouldn't have built their homes in an industrial neighbourhood.

You don't think zoning laws should dictate what a property is used for?

so because a site is zoned industrial i can open up a uranium processing center? :confused::confused::confused:

and they shouldn't have built their homes in an industrial area? those homes have been there from at least 1965. throughout the city, there are industrial areas and they have homes next to them. it's not a problem living next to an industrial area, the problem is when some hack operator opens up a facility such as the one that went up in flames and that the provincial government lets them do it. the way they currently do things is very shitty IMO.

you pretty much can't sneeze in this city without having a permit for it but if you buy an industrial property, by all means, store nuclear weapons there. :rolleyes:

I know people who work at the TSSA and they are, for the most part, a pretty knowledgable bunch.
Let's wait for the Fire Marshal's report and the TSSA investigation. Those should be interesting. I have my suspicions already, but I'd like to see the media's reaction to those reports.

We all need to get a grip. It's not like this type of 'accident' happens every day. Let the investigators do their job and then we can all chip away at that.

We have to accept the fact that a city is a place to live, work and play. Razing factories, demolishing warehouses and flattening factories to move the 'dirty' jobs out of the city only races the hackles of NIMBY types in other locales. There are hazardous chemicals all over this city. Naturally we only hear about them when something goes wrong. Remarks about nuclear weapons storage is just the kind of knee-jerk reaction one would expect in a 'crisis' like this. For the record, most of the guys/gals that work at Pickering Nuclear live in Pickering.

I love pretty condos and promenades along the waterfront as much as the next guy, but there has to be a much more of a 'big picture' approach to growth and expansion in a major city like Toronto.

Fining people for cutting down a tree or using weed killer is much more glamorous in the 'cause du jour' mentality Silly Hall has these days. Getting around to fixing zoning laws isn't as much fun.

We all need to get a grip. It's not like this type of 'accident' happens every day. Let the investigators do their job and then we can all chip away at that.

of course it doesn't happen every day but alot of other things don't happen every day yet we have rules and regulations designed to deal with situations that might happen such as fire routes, sprinklers, fire alarms, etc. is it such a hard request that propane storage & distribution facilities which contain hundreds of thousands of liters of propane not be constructed within a certain distance of a residential area? if tank "X" has a theoretical blast and debris area of "Y" meters, why can't they just make sure that there are no homes or densely occupied buildings such as schools located within "Y" meters?

We have to accept the fact that a city is a place to live, work and play. Razing factories, demolishing warehouses and flattening factories to move the 'dirty' jobs out of the city only races the hackles of NIMBY types in other locales. There are hazardous chemicals all over this city. Naturally we only hear about them when something goes wrong.

who is calling for the razing of all industrial lands? certainly not me. of course there are lots of dirty operations going on but maybe it's not a good idea to keep hundreds of thousands of liters of explosive materials within a short distance of schools and homes. i never said that no propane should be in the city.

Remarks about nuclear weapons storage is just the kind of knee-jerk reaction one would expect in a 'crisis' like this. For the record, most of the guys/gals that work at Pickering Nuclear live in Pickering.

you obviously don't understand sarcasm. what i was trying to point out is that having a property that is zoned industrial shouldn't give you the right to do whatever you want on that property.

P.S as for the asbestos fallout, i'm disturbed at the aversion that is going on.
they keep saying that you can't get cancer from one high exposure incident which is true but the people living there aren't just gonna have just one high level exposure. they will have a chronic exposure since there is absolutely no way at all to clean up all the asbestos fallout. you can pickup what you can see such as large or visible chunks but you can't cleanup all the invisible to the eye fibers that have blanketed the area. because of that, there will likely be chronic exposure which will last until the concentration dilutes.

Back