244     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 640     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 659     0 

Doors Open 2006 pics

G

ganjavih

I didn't do an extensive Doors Open tour this year as I'd seen most of the buildings I was interested in already. Here are some pics from my limited tour:

Saturday was a gorgeous day and people were out in throngs (and in thongs). Here is the evidence from the Yonge and Dundas area:
DSC03086.jpg

DSC03087.jpg

DSC03089.jpg

DSC03090.jpg

DSC03091.jpg

DSC03092.jpg

Loads of yuppees at the Distillery:
DSC03080.jpg

DSC03081.jpg

DSC03082.jpg

DSC03083.jpg

DSC03084.jpg

OK, now the architecture... CCBR: AoD has already covered this but here are a few other pics:
DSC03062.jpg

Like something out of Clockwork Orange:
DSC03063.jpg

Select photos from MaRS (not of MaRS I guess):
DSC03065.jpg

DSC03067.jpg

DSC03069.jpg

DSC03070.jpg

City views from Jazz:
DSC03074.jpg

DSC03075.jpg

DSC03076.jpg

DSC03078.jpg

DSC03079.jpg

The Carlu at College Park. Not overly extravagant but very cool. Art Deco friggin' ruled.
DSC03095.jpg

DSC03096.jpg

DSC03097.jpg

DSC03099.jpg

DSC03098.jpg

DSC03102.jpg

DSC03104.jpg

Nice PIcs.

I'm not sure what to make of this pic. The massing of the Leslie Dan Building seems to overpower even MedSci ... That south facade is harsh - but I expect it relates to the Hydro Building across the street and may actually "step down" towards Queen's Park and U of T.

DSC03069.jpg

officedweller:

I'm not sure what to make of this pic. The massing of the Leslie Dan Building seems to overpower even MedSci ... That south facade is harsh - but I expect it relates to the Hydro Building across the street and may actually "step down" towards Queen's Park and U of T.

The original urban design guidelines included setbacks in deference to the surrounding buildings. Foster et al. argued that the projects refers to the Tanz Neuroscience building (4s) by having atrium level with its' cornice line.

From the ground level, the massing effects doesn't really overwhelm MSB.

As to the south facade - the firm's original plans were to have a stronger horizontal banding pattern; that and other interior design measures were voted down by Pharmacy, which the architect in charge noted as somewhat conservative.

AoD

The "upper box" is where the sparsely populated labs are, and the sunny southern side of this part of the building has fewer large windows in order to cut down on heat gain. There is a large skylight at the north end - where there is less direct sunlight - that allows natural light to flood down into the transparent "lower box" which is more heavily populated.

The Hydro building across the street is infested with termites apparently. I assume the problem was caused by wooden forms for the concrete foundations.

I had no Idea there was a plan for a Tower on top of College Park. Does this mean that what we have there now could support a structure like that? To bad it never came to be, it would be nice if ROCP 3 used it as inspiration, just not in the New York Towers butchered kind of way.

And yes, where are the thongs?

OK, I put thongs in brackets meaning that I have no photographic evidence.

I had no Idea there was a plan for a Tower on top of College Park.

There was also a plan for a tower on top of the Toronto Hydro building at the northeast corner of Carlton and Yonge. Depression also killed it.

I had no Idea there was a plan for a Tower on top of College Park. Does this mean that what we have there now could support a structure like that?

Apparently, no. Even during their heyday, the Eatons were not big on long-term planning or forward thinking. Even though the College Street store was supposed to be the first phase of a much larger project, it wasn't engineered to allow for the tower, etc. to be added later. (At least according to the McQueen book).

Back