News   Jul 16, 2024
 124     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 882     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

Don Valley: An Urban Park?

^^ Yeah, that's what I was kind of talking about. I've biked through the valley a lot of times, and it really doesn't feel like it's appreciated. Neither does it scream being a nice public place to relax or hang out for a day, or even an hour or two. It seems very, very disconnected from the rest of the city. Some might consider this a good thing, but on the other hand we could keep it's wilderness feel while making it more like a really big park, like Central Park is.

One issue I think is accessibility. There are very few proper access points north of the Riverdale Park bridge, and the Valley is sandwiched between two busy roads in the more southerly areas. I think there is still a largely perceived dirtiness and "danger" (lots of unsavoury types hanging around) that prevent a lot of people from viewing it as an idyllic spot to go for a run, or spend time.

I'd really like to see efforts focused towards cleaning up the water and surrounding areas to make the Valley seem more appealing. Though I enjoy it now as it is, there is definitely room for improvement.

I'd really like to see efforts focused towards cleaning up the water and surrounding areas to make the Valley seem more appealing. Though I enjoy it now as it is, there is definitely room for improvement.

You might enjoy Don Watcher's blog - which, inter alia, discusses the many efforts being made by the City and the TRCA to clean up the Don. See: http://donwatcher.blogspot.com/

My neighbour, our dogs and I spent the day exploring the area off Glenn Road along side and north of the Don Valley Brickworks. There's a maze of trails and mud roads down there and we saw (& passed) a considerable number of trucks moving along the mud roads, I don't know what they were moving.
It's wonderful down there, I wouldn't want to see anything happen down there beyond establishing footpaths/bicycle trails and continuing efforts to promote re-naturalizing the area.
One picture only of the new stairs to the west of the Brickworks (a crappy pic.), the other photos were of our dogs swimming and gallivanting around. I should have been more cognizant of taking some good photos while there but I was having such a good time.

Back