News   Jul 11, 2024
 5.1K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 716     5 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 709     1 

Doing all that I can to get out of the US and live the Canadian Dream

Are you talking about working part time while you're at school? Aside from the visa issues, you're going to have enough time to pay your living expenses and international tuition. You'll presumably have to get some student loans. That seems unpleasant, but even that fairly high international student tuition is comparable to a lot of American universities. It's far lower than the big American private universities.

You 'need' $10,000 CAD and full financial aid from the US student loan program in order to even possibly be approved.

I just got a student permit approved this past month, during my interview the officer refused to give me the study permit - as a US citizen moving only a few hours north from Pittsburgh - until I proved I had further 'resources', namely my mother and father.

So expect a high ceiling, make sure someone you are close to can sponsor you and write a letter. The immigration officer will ask you very personal information, and they demand statement copies of anything backing you via your own accounts or friends, etc.

Just be prepared, all in all I had to prove a hell of a lot of money was backing me before they even looked at me, and I am only doing a 1 year Ontario College Certificate program. I can imagine the multi-year programs or university degrees are that much harder.

Good luck!

Edit: BTW, you must be very serious about moving to Canada. Its not an easy task, and its not for the lighthearted. You get zero breaks for being a US citizen (which I think is ludicrous because of NAFTA, which means crap to individuals... Only helps companies do intra-company transfers). You must be willing to accept serious, significant steps back in your life if you want to eventually take the leap forward and be privileged to call yourself a Canadian. If you go the educational pathway, you will be required to sap significant savings, you will have to forgo the ability to have a full income, full time job, and you will have to possibly sap yourself with significant student loan debt (although the US based FAFSA application and US based loan system is fully compatible with schools internationally, especially Canada).

I'm giving up significant savings and making significant steps back in my personal life, for example I'm renting a room instead of renting my own apartment when I move to Toronto this August. I'm giving up higher income potential for the next year at minimum... Its a requirement if you are serious about moving, because you will not and are not going to have the rights of a Canadian citizen on any level. Just remember that, and you'll be fine if you can live with the negatives. It won't always be like that, but until you get permanent resident status it will be.

BTW, you will also be dehumanized somewhere along the process. I've even had an immigration officer tell me that I need to get my life in order in a shrewd, rude tone. On my permanent application they misspelled my name on the rejection letter... These people treat you as a number, but they are also gatekeepers. They really don't represent Canada, they just keep you from getting there.

You've got to accept some realities because it isn't a pretty, straightforward process. Its a process ridden with rule changes, heartache, and dehumanizing experiences. But its worth it if you truly value what Canada is and what Canada stands for.

For me its worth it.

Last edited:
I've even had an immigration officer tell me that I need to get my life in order in a shrewd, rude tone.

So, it's just like entering the US for a few days vacation....except the Canadians are probably nicer ;)
I've even had US immigration officers accuse me of planning to stay in the US....why on this green earth would a Canadian want to do that?

The officer in review of my case was wondering why I've had so many jobs and so many different things happen over the past few years of life.

She couldn't grasp the concept that I moved to Oregon for a job that was supposed to have an internal transfer program that could allow me to move to Canada legally under NAFTA, but that the job got cut therefore I ended up in Pittsburgh on this job... Among other things.

Immigration officers really are cryptic and its a good thing in a certain way, but its also kind of bad when they are rude for no reason. Everyone has a personal story that is unique.

Its not just imigration officers that are like That. Its customs too. Hell i hate dealing with american customs officers. you come back into Canada and you get through in minutes without a hassel. 25 min ususally at american boarder...

Here's an interesting website that some people maybe interested in, at this link.

Welcome to IfItWereMyHome.com

The lottery of birth is responsible for much of who we are. If you were not born in the country you were, what would your life be like? Would you be the same person?

IfItWereMyHome.com is your gateway to understanding life outside your home. Use our country comparison tool to compare living conditions in your own country to those of another. Start by selecting a region to compare on the map to the right, and begin your exploration.

You can also use our visualization tool to help understand the impact of a disaster. The Pakistan Flood and BP Oil Spill are currently featured. Check out the individual pages to gain some perspective on these awful tragedies.

If you're not sure where to begin, try this week's featured country, Canada

Click on the name of another country to compare in the list that comes up. For the United States you may get:

• experience 28.67% less of a class divide
  • use 27.2% more electricity
  • have 25.67% less babies (how, exactly, isn't explained)
  • spend 45.33% less on health care
  • make 17.24% less money
  • live 3.05 years longer
  • have 8.6% more chance at being employed
  • consume 6.5% more oil
  • have 4.01% more free time
  • be 33.33% less likely to have HIV/AIDS

Last edited:

Back