340     0 
News   Aug 08, 2024
 387     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 2.1K     3 

Doing all that I can to get out of the US and live the Canadian Dream

B

BradBlanco

I am currently tying my shoes about to run out the door and head to the post office to apply for a passport. I've spent the whole day reading this site and other sites to get as much information I needed to get the passport that I so dearly need in as quick of a fashion as possible. To be completely honest I've met someone that lives in Toronto and I'm doing all that I can to be with her. At first it wasn't Toronto that was calling me there. It was her. And regardless where she was, I wanted to be there too. The more serious I thought about this the more I looked into the city of Toronto. I currently live in the US. This place has it's ups and downs but I'm ready to get out. Even if I didn't meet this sweet girl I would want to leave but now that I've got a reason to leave it just makes it that much easier. Plus, I love what I see in Toronto. I lived in Baltimore for a short time in my life. There were many things I loved about it but couldn't handle all of the crime that surrounded me. I just want to be somewhere where I can feel the pulse of the city. Be somewhere where art is appreciated, live music is played, real film is looked at, where work is available. Now of all the posts I've read here one stands out. A man named Brandon has been trying to live in Toronto for I believe he said 7 years. And from what I took from it he had done something wrong in the process that had made it impossible to get what he needed to live there. Is there anyone that can help me? Loop holes that I can jump through? Do I need to start working on getting a work visa? I'm not even sure what a work visa is. Is it hard to get a job in Toronto? I'm currently a college student and would like to continue to be one when I got there but just getting there is what I'm mostly working on first. Who do I contact? What do I do? If there is any more information that would help you help me please let me know. I'll take anything I can get. Thank you so much. Hope to hear from you.

Brad

Student visa is a good way. Study for a year in Canada, if you can afford it.

i've heard someone say something about a work visa. do you have to already have a job lined up to get a work visa? i'm guessing that you do but i dont' know for sure.

Even if you marry her it's going to be a pain in the butt, but well worth it.

It's a sad commentary on our system when those with poor english and little in the way of transferable skills can get accepted into this country over Americans. That's just my opinion.

Even if you marry her it's going to be a pain in the butt, but well worth it.
Marriage seemed to be a lot easier for my brother-in-law ... but I never imagined immigration would really start looking at the wedding photographs, etc. And not just wedding photographs ... but years of family photographs to see the couple together.

Probably not a problem in this day and age - but make sure you've got evidence!

so if I was to take the time to save up money to get to toronto and live I probably wouldn't be able to do it?

If you just want to study in Canada, you can apply for a student permit. In order to qualify for one

* You must have been accepted by a school, college, university or other educational institution in Canada.

* You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your:
o tuition fees
o living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and
o return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.

* You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate.

* You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.

* You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada when you have completed your studies.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/index.asp

If you want to move to Canada for good, you'd have to qualify under the point system. You can take it here to see if you qualify for immigration into Canada. Unfourtunately, if you've ever been convicted of a criminal offense or have any health problems (or anyone in your family for that matter) you are not eligible at all. It's a tough system, I know.

http://www.workpermit.com/canada/points_calculator.htm

I hope I helped you at least somewhat. The first website I gave lists some exceptions if you do not meet the initial qualifications, so maybe those could prove as loopholes? If you need anymore help I'll do my best.

If you make it clear that you are seeking to eventually stay in Canada permanently, you may be denied short term work or study visas (see the fifth point in christof53's post: "You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada when you have completed your studies.") You don't want to raise alarm bells that you might not leave after your visa is up. So I'd be a bit careful about that, and also make sure any inquiries like this online are reasonably anonymous.

^ That only applies if you intend to continue residing in Canada illegaly. If the IO is satisfied that you will follow the law regarding entry/exit, they will not deny you entry. Note that if you do study in Canada, then you can apply for a work permit after graduation and when you do get a job in your field, you'll be able to apply for permanent residency. It's not all that dissimilar from the US H1 to Green Card concept. This is probably the best path for anybody young.

Living that elusive Canadian Dream...

Brad: I understand how you feel-after my visits to mainly Ontario in the 80s I felt the same way-especially where Toronto was concerned. I recall that it was tough to go to live in Canada even as a "White Catholic Guy from Long Island" back then.

After the political situation in the US in the past 10 years with the deterioration of relations between our two countries I understand even more so about how good Canada can be.

I feel that good relations between the USA and Canada should be repaired as much as can be sharing this continent of North America as we do.

- Opinion from Long Island Mike -

P.S. Greenleaf: Interesting Link! - I will definitely take a look myself...

Last edited:
This community has pretty good info for getting to Canada from the States, especially once you get into the paperwork of it. I would go back and read the posts and comments, since there is surely someone else who has been in your situation. Good luck!

If you marry someone, it's virtually automatic. You only have to prove that the marriage is legitimate, which can be a bit invasive. They look at letters, photographs, etc.

If you're looking to come here in other ways, the student visa or work visa approaches can work. In fact, if you work here or study here for long enough, there's a fast track program to landed immigrant status as Keithz mentioned. You could definitely consider applying to finish up university in Canada. The student path has the problem of international student tuition, which is quite high (though not by American private school standards). If you decide to immigrate under the skilled worker points program, it can take a long time to process but it has the advantage of finality. Unfortunately, our dreadful current government has changed that law so that people can only apply if they have experience in one of 30-odd types of job. Go to http://www.cic.gc.ca to see if you qualify. A university education is also a big advantage, as are English language skills for which you would obviously qualify.

BrandonTO416 is a better expert on this than me, so if he sees this thread he can probably help you.

Good luck! Trust me, it's well worth it and a decision you won't regret. Toronto's an amazing city and Canada is a great country.

Last edited:
^ Given the exchange rate, international student fees in Canada can actually be lower than some state colleges in the US. I really think this is an under-used avenue for many potential migrants. And there's the added bonus that if you intend to settle down here then its useful to get an education that's from Canada.

this is my biggest concern...I think I can get accepted into the school. What I'm concerned with is after I get accepted how easy is it to find a good enough job to be able to go to school and make enough money to live on my own?

Back