News   Apr 19, 2024
 213     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 881     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8.3K     2 

Does Toronto Have Enough Tourist Pull?

For those who like to tour grand mansions from the past and would be v visiting Casa Loma and/or Spadina House, there are soon to be a number of behind-the-scenes and infrastructural improvements to the latter:

Canada, Ontario and Toronto Invest Over $2.9 million to Revitalize the Spadina Museum National Historic Site​

August 05, 2021
Ministry of Infrastructure

TORONTO — The safety and well-being of Canadians are top priorities for the governments of Canada, Ontario, and the City of Toronto. Investments in Ontario’s infrastructure during this extraordinary time provide an opportunity to create jobs, economic growth, and make our communities more sustainable and resilient.
Today, the Honourable Carolyn Bennett, Minister of Crown-Indigenous Relations and Member of Parliament for Toronto—St. Paul's, on behalf of the Honourable Catherine McKenna, Federal Minister of Infrastructure and Communities; Robin Martin, Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Health and Member of Provincial Parliament for Eglinton—Lawrence, on behalf of the Honourable Kinga Surma, Ontario’s Minister of Infrastructure; Deputy Mayor Michael Thompson on behalf of His Worship John Tory, Mayor of the City of Toronto; and Jennifer McKelvie, City Councillor for Scarborough-Rouge Park, announced joint funding to rehabilitate the historic Spadina Museum.
The Government of Canada is investing over $1.18 million through the Community, Culture and Recreation Infrastructure Stream of the Investing in Canada plan. The Government of Ontario is providing nearly $1 million, and the City of Toronto is contributing more than $790,000.
The project involves improving accessibility along the pathways leading from the street to museum entrances, meeting the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act requirements. Other work on the exterior of the building will include weatherproofing and restoration of existing windows and doors.
Work will also include improvements to the interior of the museum’s garage, which include converting an existing office, kitchen, and car bay space into additional programming and rental space. New flooring, lighting, and a kitchenette will also be installed, while the second floor will be remodeled to accommodate increased programming. This includes renovating the existing staircase, washrooms, and kitchen facilities. Once complete, all patrons of the Spadina Museum, including those living with disabilities, will benefit from improved accessibility and better rental and programming space.
All orders of government continue to work together for the people of Ontario to make strategic infrastructure investments in communities across the province when needed most.

I went to Spadina House Museum once during Doors Open.. It was nothing to write home about. I would not likely go back.

I went to Spadina House Museum once during Doors Open.. It was nothing to write home about. I would not likely go back.

It's an extremely popular destination for events and weddings, but I'm not sure the government should be subsidizing wedding ceremonies.

The Rogers Centre was only practical as a concert venue prior to the opening of Scotiabank Arena. It is a cavernous venue with a domed roof that makes for very poor acoustics.

That and the field level renovations done recently make it an impractical venue for most concerts. I don't think Rogers wants any large stages there anymore to avoid ruining the dirt sections of the field.
Just out of curiosity (three years later) was Maple Leaf Gardens not a comparable, if older and smaller venue for music and other non-hockey uses? I read that Elvis played there. Oasis was the final act in 2000!

I also wonder (maybe stupidly) whether heating a giant Skydome sized bowl is not a problem during Toronto winters. Canadians are used to bundling up for Grey Cup games, but not so sure they'd want to go see Taylor Swift in their parkas.

Just out of curiosity (three years later) was Maple Leaf Gardens not a comparable, if older and smaller venue for music and other non-hockey uses? I read that Elvis played there. Oasis was the final act in 2000!

I also wonder (maybe stupidly) whether heating a giant Skydome sized bowl is not a problem during Toronto winters. Canadians are used to bundling up for Grey Cup games, but not so sure they'd want to go see Taylor Swift in their parkas.
MLG used to have tons of big music acts back in the day. It wasn't just about hockey, although the acoustics did suck. I'm somewhat certain I saw a band play there once, but I can't remember which one. I do however have fond memories of my mom taking me there several times in the 80's to see the circus!

A couple small sample size data points but I had some family visit from the US visit Toronto last year. My cousin (and his family, includes a toddler) from NY visited during mid-October or so. They appeared to have not been too interested in most of the urban attractions in the city, but did visit one of the nearby provincial parks to take in the changing of the leaves colour for Autumn. And also went to Yorkdale Mall. They did find the culinary and restaurant scene here to be good though, which includes the options in the suburbs.

Later on my cousin from Philly, in his early 20s, visited Toronto during the American Thanksgiving. He took interest in seeing the CN Tower, the ROM, Casa Loma, and some more "off the beaten path" destinations that even I wasn't necessarily aware of beforehand: the Great War Flying Museum in Cheltenham (north of Brampton), and the Ontario Regiment Museum in Oshawa.

A couple small sample size data points but I had some family visit from the US visit Toronto last year. My cousin (and his family, includes a toddler) from NY visited during mid-October or so. They appeared to have not been too interested in most of the urban attractions in the city, but did visit one of the nearby provincial parks to take in the changing of the leaves colour for Autumn. And also went to Yorkdale Mall. They did find the culinary and restaurant scene here to be good though, which includes the options in the suburbs.

Later on my cousin from Philly, in his early 20s, visited Toronto during the American Thanksgiving. He took interest in seeing the CN Tower, the ROM, Casa Loma, and some more "off the beaten path" destinations that even I wasn't necessarily aware of beforehand: the Great War Flying Museum in Cheltenham (north of Brampton), and the Ontario Regiment Museum in Oshawa.
Tourism number in TO are pretty high and, last I saw, about to exceed pre-covid. We who live here may not think there is much to do or see (or that it could be better) but visitors do not seem to care and still come.

Tourism number in TO are pretty high and, last I saw, about to exceed pre-covid. We who live here may not think there is much to do or see (or that it could be better) but visitors do not seem to care and still come.
We should compile a list of all the best attractions in the GTA. I'm often stumped, even though I grew up here.

Really depends on the individual/group and their personal interests but here's my generalized list of suggestions. Not necessarily in absolute order:

1) CN Tower
2) Toronto Islands (seasonal)
3) ROM
4) Casa Loma
5) Distillery District
6) AGO
7) St. Lawrence Market
8) Ripley's Aquarium
9) City Hall/Nathan Phillips Square
10) Eaton Centre

Additional options:
-Parks: High Park, Riverdale Park, Trinity Bellwoods, waterfront trail all the way to the Humber Bay area, Scarborough Bluffs, Rouge Park, etc
-U of T downtown campus
-Canada's Wonderland
-Toronto Zoo
-Historical theatres: Ed Mirvish theatre, Elgin and Winter Garden theatre, Royal Alexandra, Massey Hall, etc
-Historical buildings: Union Station, Royal York Hotel, Gooderham building, Osgoode Hall, Old City Hall, Queen's Park, St. Lawrence Hall, old downtown churches, etc
-Notable neighbourhoods: Kensington Market, St. Lawrence area, Financial District, Queen West, King West, Ossington, Chinatown, The Annex, Yorkville, The Beaches, etc
-Black Creek Pioneer Village
-Other museums: Ontario Science Centre, Hockey Hall of Fame, Bata Shoe Museum, Gardiner Museum, Fort York, Aga Khan, Spadina Museum, etc
-Sporting event: Raptors, Maple Leafs, Blue Jays, Toronto FC, etc
-Seasonal events: CNE, Pride, Caribana, TIFF, etc
-Malls: Yorkdale, Dufferin Mall, suburban malls, etc
-Restaurant/bar hopping areas: Queen West, King West, Ossington, Dundas West, Leslieville, Chinatown, Kensington Market, College Little Italy, The Annex, Koreatown, the Junction, Bloorcourt/Bloordale, Greektown, Midtown, NYCC, the suburbs, etc
-Out of town excursions within 3 hours or so: Niagara Falls, Niagara on the lake, Hamilton (waterfalls), Prince Edward County, a variety of nice small towns, provincial parks, etc

Last edited:
Really depends on the individual/group and their personal interests but here's my generalized list of suggestions. Not necessarily in absolute order:

1) CN Tower
3) ROM
4) Casa Loma
5) Distillery District
6) AGO
7) St. Lawrence Market
8) Ripley's Aquarium
10) Eaton Centre

Additional options:
-Parks: High Park, Riverdale Park, Trinity Bellwoods, waterfront trail all the way to the Humber Bay area, Scarborough Bluffs, Rouge Park, etc
-U of T downtown campus
-Toronto Zoo
-Historical theatres: Ed Mirvish theatre, Elgin and Winter Garden theatre, Royal Alexandra, Massey Hall, etc
-Historical buildings: Union Station, Royal York Hotel, Gooderham building, Osgoode Hall, Old City Hall, Queen's Park, St. Lawrence Hall, old downtown churches, etc
-Notable neighbourhoods: Kensington Market, St. Lawrence area, Financial District, Queen West, King West, Ossington, Chinatown, The Annex, Yorkville, The Beaches, etc
-Other museums: Ontario Science Centre, Hockey Hall of Fame, Bata Shoe Museum, Gardiner Museum, Fort York, Aga Khan, Spadina Museum, etc
-Restaurant/bar hopping areas: Queen West, King West, Ossington, Dundas West, Leslieville, Chinatown, Kensington Market, College Little Italy, The Annex, Koreatown, the Junction, Bloorcourt/Bloordale, Greektown, Midtown, NYCC, the suburbs, etc
-Out of town excursions within 3 hours or so: Niagara Falls, Niagara on the lake, Hamilton (waterfalls), Prince Edward County, a variety of nice small towns, provincial parks, etc

Seasonally, I think one must add Canada's Wonderland to the list, certainly for any one with teens/pre-teens; but for many adults too.

In terms of in-City, The Ontario Science Centre is aging, but would still impress some, depending on whether they come from somewhere with a family-friendly, interactive science museum.

Neighbourhoods: I think this depends on what people appreciate, architecture vs say the culinary scene, or ethnic diversity. For some, I think simply taking people to a major specialty/regional supermarket from T&T to Starskys, to Adonis may be of interest, but not so much if your from NYC which has similar types of options.

Architecturally, I think some of the older pockets of Cabbagetown make for a charming walk, which can include Riverdale West, the farm, and the valley lands.

Parts of the Eastern Beaches can be quite charming too.

Of course we have to remember that the City is really one of events, of festivals, concerts, and the like.

1) CN Tower
3) ROM
4) Casa Loma
5) Distillery District
6) AGO
7) St. Lawrence Market
8) Ripley's Aquarium
10) Eaton Centre

Additional options:
-U of T downtown campus
-Toronto Zoo

Seasonally, I think one must add Canada's Wonderland to the list, certainly for any one with teens/pre-teens; but for many adults too.

In terms of in-City, The Ontario Science Centre is aging, but would still impress some, depending on whether they come from somewhere with a family-friendly, interactive science museum.

Neighbourhoods: I think this depends on what people appreciate, architecture vs say the culinary scene, or ethnic diversity. For some, I think simply taking people to a major specialty/regional supermarket from T&T to Starskys, to Adonis may be of interest, but not so much if your from NYC which has similar types of options.

Architecturally, I think some of the older pockets of Cabbagetown make for a charming walk, which can include Riverdale West, the farm, and the valley lands.

Of course we have to remember that the City is really one of events, of festivals, concerts, and the like.

Don't forget the Burlington IKEA. For many Buffalo residents, that's the sole purpose for getting their passports.

Yes, I will agree with Canada's Wonderland. During my teenage years I've had cousins from out of town visit and CW was a destination for the group. Also can't deny its draw and appeal for local tourists with the Greater Horseshoe area/Southern Ontario too.

Yes, I will agree with Canada's Wonderland. During my teenage years I've had cousins from out of town visit and CW was a destination for the group. Also can't deny its draw and appeal for local tourists with the Greater Horseshoe area/Southern Ontario too.
There are rumours that next year, Canada's Wonderland will be getting an awe-inspiring roller coaster that would allow it to compete with sister park Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH, located across Lake Erie from Leamington, ON.

Effective before this July, both Canada's Wonderland and Cedar Point will officially be Six Flags parks, though both parks would retain their names.

Edit: clarified

Last edited:
There are rumours that next year, Canada's Wonderland will be getting an awe-inspiring roller coaster that would allow it to compete with sister park Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH, located across Lake Erie from Leamington, ON.

There may be some substance to that
rumour. ;)

Back