News   Mar 28, 2024
 152     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Does being Canadian-owned (or perhaps made, if relevant) factor in your choice of shopping?

Does it?

• Yes, it is a factor I consider.

Votes: 23 67.6%
  • No, not really.

Votes: 11 32.4%

• Total voters
In broad terms, a product being 'Canadian' may be a factor to consider, but it is not the only one, or even the most important, in most cases.

For myself, the first thing to look at is the product itself, both that it is something I need/desire, but also something that is well made.

Beyond that I want to consider, where practical, the ethics of how its made, be those environmental or the way workers who made the product were treated.

But I don't want to overstate the case and suggest I perform endless research on every purchase, I don't.

I consider what I know; and do additional research on major purchases from time to time, or a retailer or product that has given me cause for concern.

If a product gets past all that, then if all other things are equal I'd be more than happy to direct my spending at a Canadian product.

There are areas of retail where this happens more, and others less.

For example, I've come to favour Ontario-produced salad packs of greens.

I've discerned, if nothing else, the shorter shipping time in a cooler climate means the packs arrive fresher and last longer.

Unfortunately, none of the Big 3 (Loblaws/Sobeys/Metro) have yet put a local maker on the shelf.

But Big Carrot, Fiesta Farms, Whole Foods, McEwan, amongst others have.

There's the case of a very pragmatic reason (quality/product lifespan) being tied directly towards where its made/grown.

[...] Unfortunately, none of the Big 3 (Loblaws/Sobeys/Metro) have yet put a local maker on the shelf.

But Big Carrot, Fiesta Farms, Whole Foods, McEwan, amongst others have.
[...]

Yeah, this frustrates me when shopping at Loblaws. The Ontario product is far superior, for the reasons you give, but not stocked.

Sobey's Foodland stores often stock Ontario-produced salad packs of greens, but the Foodland banner is for the independently-owned stores, and it's presumably a store-by-store decision.

In the spirit of promoting good products, I am listing 5 of the local, Ontario companies I know of that do Organic salad packs.

They all have product that is fresher, and lasts longer than the various store brands (ie. PC Organic or Earthbound Farm.

https://greenbeltmicrogreens.ca/lettuce
http://aquagreens.ca/
http://meadowsweetfarm.ca/meadow-sweet-greens/
http://www.cookstowngreens.com/site/home
http://kindorganics.com/

You can find some combination of these at Foodland, Whole Foods, Big Carrot, Organic Garage, Bloor St. Market, Fiesta Farms, Noah's, Pusetri's, McEwan, Bruno's, Healthy Butcher, Summerhill Market, and Harvest Wagon.

If you notice the absence of the big chains, do feel free to nag the one you patronize most to carry one or more of these! Its good food, and ya get to support the local economy to boot!

You can find some combination of these at Foodland, Whole Foods, Big Carrot, Organic Garage, Bloor St. Market, Fiesta Farms, Noah's, Pusetri's, McEwan, Bruno's, Healthy Butcher, Summerhill Market, and Harvest Wagon.

Mein Gott! After rent, I can't afford to shop at these places. This is like a list of bougie grocers for overpaid yuppies. I'm stuck at maximum Loblaws, Metro, and Sobeys. Thank the maker that my 15 years of breaking my back have graduated me from the No Frills, FreshCo, and food basics tier.

Another 15 years and I might be able to afford to shop at yon list...and maybe a very nice 1 bedroom flat.....maybe.

Mein Gott! After rent, I can't afford to shop at these places. This is like a list of bougie grocers for overpaid yuppies. I'm stuck at maximum Loblaws, Metro, and Sobeys. Thank the maker that my 15 years of breaking my back have graduated me from the No Frills, FreshCo, and food basics tier.

Another 15 years and I might be able to afford to shop at yon list...and maybe a very nice 1 bedroom flat.....maybe.

Fiesta Farms isn't bad for price point; neither is Foodland. The others are wee bit more dear. But as I noted, there's no reason the big chains can't add one or more of these products.

Like many, given equal price between local and imported food, it's a no-brainer for me, but often imports have a price advantage. This is exactly where tariffs (And I am philosophically against them *given a level trading field*) can make the difference to the consumer basing purchase just on price alone.

What's being lost in the protected dairy market debate is that it isn't just the US that is affronted by it, it's the rest-of-world, as Australia, NZ, EU et al have as strict or stricter rules for dairy production, unlike the US. Not realized by many Cdns is that the Cdn dairy consortiums have entered and purchased segments of the market in those nations while blocking same happening here. Meantime, struggling small farmers here are blocked from becoming part of the 'Dairy Club'. It's big business v little, and if you want in, you have to buy in if there's an 'opening'. Not unlike the Toronto taxi situation, and having to 'buy a plate'. Most drivers can only dream of doing so, the plates are owned by the entrenched rich.

That being said, many other agri products are available from local sources at good prices.

Last edited:
Isn't Foodland a Sobeys brand? I always associate them with smalltown Ontario.

Yes, you're not wrong, it was mainly a small town banner. But several years ago, Sobeys forced almost all of its independent grocers outside of Quebec to move from the IGA to the Foodland banner, so Foodland now has many urban locations. Near me, the Pape IGA suddenly became Pape Market Foodland.

Last edited:
I was going to say - Fiesta Farms is a "bougie grocer"? As for Foodland, what is the opposite of "bougie"?

No Frills Parkdale.

Yeah, I missed the Foodland in there and it's true, Fiesta Farms is legit not bougie. Even I have shopped there.

Yes, you're not wrong, it was mainly a small town banner. But several years ago, Sobeys forced almost all of its independent grocers outside of Quebec to move from the IGA to the Foodland banner, so Foodland now has many urban locations. Near me, the Pape IGA suddenly became Pape Market Foodland.
The IGA at Marlee and Ridelle became Sobeys. It's extremely close to where I live.

Speaking of which, there's Zito's a few blocks north of there, as well as Lady York Foods on Dufferin just south of Lawrence.

Back