Dodgy racial 'Low Income Group' discussion re: Regent Park

human person

Member Bio
Reaction score
from www.thestar.ca

Regent Park redesign sign of lessons learned

Nov 01, 2007 04:30 AM
Christopher Hume

Nowhere is the power of illusion more clearly demonstrated than at Regent Park.

When the housing complex was designed and constructed in the late 1940s and early '50s, it was seen as the wave of the future, a Utopian project that would satisfy human needs as never before and bring out the best in residents. If only.

Such schemes have proliferated since at least the 19th century, when pioneering urban planner Ebenezer Howard proposed the notion of the Garden City. Hugely influential, the idea called for small towns fully integrated into nature; they were independent communal societies where people would live quietly but happily ever after.

Though there wasn't a shred of evidence to support Howard's views, the world desperately wanted to hear what he had to say. Regent Park was yet another expression of this deep-seated desire to build heaven on earth.

Of course it didn't work. It couldn't. Sadly, this is not how people behave. The concept was so inherently flawed, it's hardly surprising 50-odd years later we are tearing down Regent Park and starting over again. The shared spaces, the isolation from the city, the separation of the neighbourhood from the urban grid – these were well-intentioned but misguided steps.

Half a century later, the result is a place only a drug dealer could love.

True, the slums that were torn down to make way for Regent Park were a civic disgrace, but slums can be rehabilitated. Housing projects can't; they are best demolished.

When the St. Lawrence Neighbourhood was created in the 1970s, the approach was much less idealistic, but much more successful. It was deliberately integrated into the city and the housing, whether full market or geared-to-income, was mixed.

It has not become an area non-residents avoid, where we feel threatened. Despite the generally poor quality of the architecture, it's barely distinguishable from any other neighbourhood in the city.

The current rebuilding of Regent Park incorporates these principles and will undoubtedly be a more desirable place to live. The stigma attached to the area now will disappear in time and in a move that has been unthinkable up to now, middle-class Torontonians will appear. Already stores have decided to move in, again, something that never happened before.

Still the lure of illusion remains irresistible; it's so much more comforting than reality, which has become nasty and downright scary.

And so the question must be asked: Are we making mistakes now that in their turn will make future generations shake their heads and ask, "What were they thinking?"

Or are we growing closer to the truth, to an understanding of how to build communities that work and housing that won't need to be razed?

We're hardly in a position to know; the answers will be revealed over time. But already it's clear that the big issue in the decades ahead will be the remediation not just of 1950s and '60s suburbs such as Rexdale, Flemingdon Park, Malvern and Jane-Finch, but also the sprawling subdivisions of regions beyond.

The illusory nature of these latter communities, based as they are on notions of endless land, cheap gas and the primacy of single-family housing, has started to unravel on the realities of traffic congestion, social dislocation and global warming.

By comparison, the rebuilding of Regent Park will seem straightforward, even simple.

Still, the dream of Garden City will endure long after it has turned into a nightmare.

I am glad that Regent Park is being redeveloped and the renderings I've seen so far look great. But I've never been convinced that the design of the old Regent Park was a significant factor in its social problems. Lots of residential areas are physically insular, cut off from their surroundings, but that does not make them crime-prone. Indeed isolation can protect an area from crime: if the crime-prone tend to live near the area, and the area itself doesn't contain many crime-prone people.

At the risk of oversimplifying my case, physical insularity doesn't breed crime, people do. I have a hard time believing that Regent Park would have been crime-infested had it been occupied by first-generation Eastern European Jewry and East Asians. I imagine the "insularity" in that case would have been a positive feature of their neighbourhood, making it a cozy ethnic enclave (though parochial as those may be), a refuge from the world beyond.

But it is politically and personally more comforting to put the blame on bricks and street grid rather than on peoples.

And what would u like TCHC do?
The causes of crime go far deeper, I am arguing, than any revision to TCHC design policy could fundamentally alter.

The TCHC should continue to do its best to meet its institutional mandate to provide affordable housing for those who need it.

The same demographic of people also live in the St Lawrence neighbourhood. Yet crime is much less of a factor there than in Regent Park. A major reason for that would be the design of the area as well as the fact that the neighbourhood is a mix of income levels. Re-doing Regent Park in a St Lawrence manner will make a big difference when it comes to crime levels.

As long as no one expects that the high rates of crime will instantly disappear. It'll be a gradual process and probably take a full generation of youth being brought up in a more mixed-income environment for it's full effects to be felt.

Certainly Area A, in which a crime-prone group is mixed with a non-crime-prone demographic, will have a lower rate of crime than Area B, which is filled with crime-prone people. I suppose that's something close to a tautology!

But why is it that some low-income groups more than others seem to need to be mixed up with other types of people in the first place, in order to cut the crime rate of their neighbourhood?

Some low income groups, it should hardly need arguing, are more prone to crime than other low-income groups, and are less successful, in the passing generations, at moving into the middle classes and beyond. What is the cause of this? I don't think I or anyone has the full answer, and I sense willfully simplistic thinking (well-intentioned though it may be) in the connection made between the layout of Regent Park and its crime problem.
(Not that anyone argues that the layout is the sole or main cause of the problem (I hope!) but its role is often overestimated.)

It's not simply a layout problem - street pattern is only one small factor in the overall makeup of the area's problems. If everything else were fine in the area, the street pattern its own would merely be a planning mistake and not a tipping point bringing the rest crashing down.

Meanwhile, you seem to be trolling around, looking to incite a discussion about "some low income groups". That doesn't strike me as a smart move.

"Meanwhile, you seem to be trolling around, looking to incite a discussion about "some low income groups". That doesn't strike me as a smart move."

42, I posted the latest editorial on this thread topic from our major local paper, raised an objection to the major assumption of that editorial, and then attempted to defend my view when fellow forumers raised some fair criticisms of it. I don't think that should count as trolling, from what I understand of the phenomenon.

But I appreciate that there is some reason to be suspicious of a newbie with a bone to pick.

I have a hard time believing that Regent Park would have been crime-infested had it been occupied by first-generation Eastern European Jewry and East Asians. I imagine the "insularity" in that case would have been a positive feature of their neighbourhood, making it a cozy ethnic enclave (though parochial as those may be), a refuge from the world beyond.

Example please.

I have a hard time believing that Regent Park would have been crime-infested had it been occupied by first-generation Eastern European Jewry and East Asians. I imagine the "insularity" in that case would have been a positive feature of their neighbourhood, making it a cozy ethnic enclave (though parochial as those may be), a refuge from the world beyond.
Wow, just wow.

Has Admiral Beez changed his name?
Not me, that's too controversial and crazy a thing to say even on my worst days.

Having lived next to Regent Park for years, I can attest that there are people from all over the world living there. This fellow seems to think that RP is populated by a single group, and that crime there would vanish if he changed the group. First of all, having lived next to Regent Park for years, I can attest that there are people from all over the world living there. Second of all, IMHO, crime is pretty light in Regent Park, except perhaps for the drug dealing (which you usually have to look for to find).

At the risk of oversimplifying my case, physical insularity doesn't breed crime, people do. I have a hard time believing that Regent Park would have been crime-infested had it been occupied by first-generation Eastern European Jewry and East Asians. I imagine the "insularity" in that case would have been a positive feature of their neighbourhood, making it a cozy ethnic enclave (though parochial as those may be), a refuge from the world beyond.

Yes, "people do" breed crime, but the flaw in your argument is that you are implying that there is a genetic factor, as indicated in your mention of certain races. I believe the more important factor here is socio-economic status (SES) - the high concentration of people on welfare, unable to get jobs, etc.

It is dangerous to make suggestions about race, especially when the claim in unproveable. I truly believe that any people - regardless of ethnic group - who have gone through difficult circumstances, will show the same propensity for crime. (Please note that when I say "circumstances" here, I am talking not just about, for instance, a few generations of joblessness, but also about the history that led to that joblessness which means taking into account details such as background (not race) and immigration details which have made financial independence an uphill battle.)

In my late teens, I met three people who came from Regent Park. Coincidentally, one was white, one black, and one east-Asian. In the few years that I worked with them, the familes of all three moved up and out of Regent Park.

You have made the common mistake of assuming causation where there is only correlation. The fact that there may be a large number of people of one colour in an area of high crime does not mean the skin colour is the causal factor behind the crime. The mistake behind Regent Park was putting all the assisted housing - i.e., all of the people with low SES problems - in one area. The revitalization of Regent Park aims to address that by mixing income levels. As cassiusa pointed out, don't expect the crime to instantly disappear. It's going to take a long time. But I think we're on the right track.

Back