Do you wear a poppy?

Do you wear a poppy?

• Yes

Votes: 31 86.1%
  • No

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Do you remember that Seinfeld episode where Kramer was taunted for not wearing an AIDS ribbon?

I kinda look at the poppy thing in the same way.

Of course I remember and respect and am grateful for everything the vets did... but I look at wearing the poppy as though I am jumping on some sort of bandwagon. Why do I need to tell complete strangers how I feel about war? I don't need a poppy to remind myself of how good we've all got it.

I try to buy poppies from actual vets so that I can ask them where they fought, and thank them personally. However, I haven't seen one in years and will have to buy one at a cash register this year.

I found one today! There's a WWII veteran selling poppies at Royal Lighting, at Avenue and Lawrence. Finally have my poppy for this year.

It used to be a shared expression of remembrance, so there were no "complete strangers" at all really - when it first began, in 1919, practically everyone knew of someone who had just been killed in the war. At eleven o'clock on the eleventh day of the eleventh month, in some countries entire cities would stop what they were doing - traffic would stop in the streets, and trains would halt too - for two minutes.

It was that way after the Second World War as well. The country had one million people in uniform out of a total population of about twelve million, and virtually everyone knew someone who had served, if not died.

I got a poppy the other day from a real veteran, wearing his Legion jacket and a medal. After reading Chuck's post above, I wish I had asked him where he had served.

Well the vet that I talked to this past weekend was a fighter pilot with the RCAF. Joined the military at 22, and fought for about 2 years until the war ended. And as usual, I thanked him for his service to our country.

If any of you have grocery shopping to do, I spotted another vet at the Forest Hill Loblaws at the top of the escalator.

i wear a poppy from the first day i spot one on sale, this year, it was the weekend before halloween and i've been wearing it since.

i've been fairly disappointed this year, it feels as if i see alot less people wearing them. maybe i'm just being more observant this year, or maybe it's because our country's men are fighting a very politicized war right now... but the poppy should transcend all politics and I echo what people said earlier about it being a great symbol of remembrance.

to those who say that it's a "competition", i disagree. rather, it should be second nature to pick one up and wear it. it's not like a big gesture, it's putting in a loonie or toonie, or more, and pinning it on. it's the least we could do, no?

I was making a game of spotting the fellow Canadians in Washington as I spotted several poppies around Dupont Circle and the Mall. (The British version of the pin is somewhat different than the Canadian version.)

The poppy is a personal decision if one wants to wear one or not. Now that I'm back, I haven't seen anyone sell them in the subway today, so I have yet to get one this year.

What I do dislike are the stupid car magnets - whether they are yellow, blue, or pink or any other colour. The poppy still means something at least, probably largely because it's seasonal only and a very old tradition.

I wear a poppy every year for a week or two leading up to the 11th. I don't wear it to impress anyone, and I don't look down on those who don't.

For me, the poppy represents the sacrifices of the 1st and 2nd world war veterans. I don't very much link it to vets of Vietnam, Korea, Iraq, Afghanistan, or any other recent war, though technically I understand that we are honouring all vets, not picking and choosing.

One of my great grandfathers died at the battle of the Somme in WWI.

My grandfather fought in WWII, and the experience shaped his entire life. He went over as a teenager to fight in Italy, was wounded by shrapnel, and almost died of malaria in a field hospital. Later he helped liberate a concentration camp and fought in Algeria. For the rest of his life he was reclusive and odd because of the experience, and talked about the war until the day he died (four years ago in his mid-80s) as if the events had happened only last week.

My other grandfather fought as well, but I know little about it except that the experienced scarred him so much that he died a severe alcoholic in the 1950s.

Both my grandmother's made huge sacrifices as well: in fact, everybody did. Even in North America almost every factory was devoted to the war effort, and civilians went without basics like oil, gasoline, sugar, coffee, nylon, rubber, wood, metal, and even pencil erasers for months and years because it was needed to be sent to the men fighting. Today we ship off a few thousand professional soldiers to war and then hardly give it a second thought. Suggest to someone that perhaps driving around in a huge SUV is rather selfish while their countrymen die in a war that is (at least partly) about defending oil supplies and they will likely tell you to fuck off before going to Walmart and buy themselves a second or third big screen TV. We have little comprehension of the sacrifices previous generations made.

To me it's these sacrifices of that entire generation that are worth honouring, and regardless of your views on war, it's difficult to argue that WW2 in particular was in any way optional, or that we would have been better off not joining and winning it.

Most of all, I think it means a lot to the surviving members of that generation to see younger people in particular wearing poppies. In 10 or so years, when they are all gone, I may stop wearing one, but not until that day.

Pinning a poppy

The Toronto Star ran a brilliant piece last week on handy tips from readers on keeping the poppy from falling off your clothing.

The best trick I've used is wrapping a piece of clear tape at the tip to anchor it in place, in addition it also helps prevent you from being stunk by the end.

Here is the link, however you don't get the benefit of step by step renderings of some of some of tips included in the printed edition.

http://www.thestar.com/article/273034

Louroz

I just saw this thread and was happy to see "In Flanders Field". My grandfather persuaded Dr. McRae to resubmit the poem after it was first rejected by some publication.

I wear it, mostly because I want to show that youth do appreciate the sacrifices of the older generation and also to show that although I don't have direct roots with it, I still respect their sacrifice for the country. The poppy to me is representative of honoring the sacrifices that the men have made and not to glorify war or make political sacrifices. It's much more of a human thing to me rather than a political thing...

I just saw this thread and was happy to see "In Flanders Field". My grandfather persuaded Dr. McRae to resubmit the poem after it was first rejected by some publication.

Cool.

I wear it to honour 1st and 2nd WW vets.

Of course it's equally shameful that so many younger people don't wear one at all

According to some not so young people, it's better to recycle the poppy, and not make a donation. That's shameful.

Puke Green, your comments are eloquent.

When I was a little kid I saw a couple of ration tokens from WWII which were still being kept by a member of my family. I had it explained to me that during the war, to buy sugar and a number of other things, you had to produce a token. The biggest sacrifice apparently, at home in Canada, was the lack of new tires for cars. Little driving was done by most people outside of what was really essential.

Back