News   Jul 26, 2024
 276     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 302     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 328     0 

Do you like Toronto?

On a scale of 1 to 6 what do you rate Toronto vs. other urban cities?

• Up there with the best

Votes: 38 26.2%
  • Not the best, but almost there

Votes: 50 34.5%
  • Not near the best, but still great

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • Decent, but in need of improvements

Votes: 23 15.9%
  • In need of dire improvements

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • We suck so bad

Votes: 4 2.8%

• Total voters
but then you go to Atlanta and hear their MARTA reffered to as "Moving Africans Rapidly Through Atalanta"

I couldn't stop laughing when I heard that when I went to Atlanta a few years back... :D

Absolutely I love Toronto, and all of Canada for that matter. Even Alberta's cities have a feel that American cities tend not to have I think. I may not like their voting patterns, but I still think it fits into Canada well.

When I was living on the west coast, I visited Vancouver and BC several times. I got a vibe in Vancouver that was distinctly different from Portland and Seattle, again it was a distinctly Canadian vibe.

Each place is great in its own way.

Paris outer suburbs make Rexdale look nice.

There was a reason for all those riots a few years ago.

European cities are very strange, the further you go the worse they get.

However they are then surrounded by a large external ring of exurban housing.

Most Paris outer suburbs are "nice" middle class detached house, it is like north american suburbia.
The bad place are mostly in the northern inner suburbs.
See Paris in Google Earth.

Honestly I am very interrested by Toronto, it could be weird for a french but I am more interrested by Toronto or Vancouver than Montreal. :)

True they have suburbs like we do but they have some really messed up areas.

I love European cities as much as the next guy. But I do get a bit tired of Canadians going on vacation to a city like London for a week, spending there time in the square mile and Harrod's and then declaring it to be the greatest thing on earth. Urban critiquing by casual tourism just seems hollow to me. I would probably like Toronto more if I got to stay in a hotel and spend my time taking pictures and going to museums.

So many people go to NY and never go south of 34th street and call it such a nice clean place???

I love European cities as much as the next guy. But I do get a bit tired of Canadians going on vacation to a city like London for a week, spending there time in the square mile and Harrod's and then declaring it to be the greatest thing on earth. Urban critiquing by casual tourism just seems hollow to me. I would probably like Toronto more if I got to stay in a hotel and spend my time taking pictures and going to museums.

Excellent point. I always make a point of travelling off the beaten path when I travel, whether abroad or in Canada.

How many people on this board have bothered to visit Moosenee or Miluakee? There's lots to be said about mingling with the natives, as opposed to the bellhops and porters of the hotel you are staying in.......

Excellent point. I always make a point of travelling off the beaten path when I travel, whether abroad or in Canada.

How many people on this board have bothered to visit Moosenee or Miluakee? There's lots to be said about mingling with the natives, as opposed to the bellhops and porters of the hotel you are staying in.......

Do you mean Milwaukee? And aren't bellhops and porters generally natives of the city?

That's why I am a big proponent of staycations.... I always try to see something new in the city I live in every year.

That being said,for vacation, between Toronto and London, I'd pick London. There's nothing like the British Museum or Library here..... or Covent Garderns or Trafalgar Square, Leicester Square, etc. And let's not forget the Tube.

Would I want to live in London? Probably not. My British counterparts at work are absolutely stunned when they visit Canada and see our quality of life. They see what the price of a London flat can get in any Canadian city and are blown away. Heck, they are amazed by the fact that many of us have cars. And that most of us have cable with tons of channels. And that high speed internet is reliable and available in most households around our cities. Services and consumer choice in rural and exurban UK are far below what we are used to in North America.

Sure we don't have great transit, high speed inter-city rail, cheap 3G cellular, etc. but our quality of life is still a heck of a lot better than most of the world and we have the stats to back that claim up. And that's something we should appreciate.

I love Toronto but it's not sexy. Paris, New York, London, San Francisco, etc are sexy.

Agreed. I love Tdot cause its home. I doubt it'd make the top ten list of places you'd want to visit in your lifetime.....

On your list, the one place I'd disagree with is New York. I have never understood the appeal of NYC. To me its like Toronto except with meaner people, stranger smells, more garbage and bigger crowds. And its way more expensive. I don't like vacationing there and I would certainly never want to live there.

Toronto is better than most Torontonians think, but that reserved behavior is actually an attraction for me. However, the next time I hear a Torontonian obsess over Manhattan I'm going to throw up.

I love Toronto but it's not sexy. Paris, New York, London, San Francisco, etc are sexy.

I get your point, but would argue that New York and London aren't sexy either. They are fabulous and/or glamourous. Sexy? Montreal would be a better choice than either of those 2.

Toronto The Great

I love Toronto. I have never felt more at home in my life as I do living here.

It's not too large to be intimidating or claustrophobic as you feel amongst NY high rises. You can walk anywhere. If you choose not to walk it has a very easy transit system to learn. I enjoy the diversity and multiculturalism, neighbourhoods, food, entertainment, friendliness, and parks everywhere. There is great free stuff to enjoy like Allan Gardens botanical gardens, Leslie Sreet Spit, the islands (other than the fare to get there), and the beaches

One area of improvement for me, I just wish we had more bike lanes.

Back