Do You Like The New Street Signs?

• Yes

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • No

Votes: 71 62.8%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 11 9.7%

• Total voters
If they came up with specific standards for lighting poles, signs, etc. across the city I think it would end up being cheaper in the long run. I would think a good design firm could come up with a practical, unique and well designed lighting/pole/sign standards that could be affordable to produce and flexible enough to satisfy the various BIAs and interest groups around the city.

Have you not seen the new street signs? ;)

These signs may not be to your impeccable standards (then again, not much is) but they serve their function extremely well. They are an easy read in a city which, as far as I know, has no naming or numbering systems in place. They likely are a compromise but, y'know, I always liked East York's street signs.

Last edited:
They look good, so long as they create customized signs for specific neighborhoods.

Have you not seen the new street signs? ;)

These signs may not be to your impeccable standards (then again, not much is) but they serve their function extremely well. They are an easy read in a city which, as far as I know, has no naming or numbering systems in place. They likely are a compromise but, y'know, I always liked East York's street signs.

I'm not quite sure what that means, but there are no pole standards in the city. They'll tack a sign onto anything.

The new signs are indeed of a standard design, but they're very generic compared to the originals. "Functional" doesn't have to mean "bland".

The old style street name sign has gone missing from the corner of my street. With the strike, I'm guessing there will be no replacement with the new style until after the strike is over.

And no pizza delivery.

I don't hate them as much as some people do. I concede they don't have as much character as some of the older acorn ones, but they are a vast improvement over the regular steel rectangles with reflective vinyl, or the internally illuminated boxes around downtown that are never illuminated because they are either rusted out or the incandescent lamps inside are burned out (they only last 1500 hours).

I think it would be ideal if the new ones could be internally illuminated in certain areas like downtown, or on major roads where seeing the name from a greater distance would help the flow of traffic and increase safety.

Being in the LED business, I can say that the external appearance of the sign could be almost identical even with internal illumination for both faces. Providing power is a concern, of course, but the signs would only be about 3W each.

I saw these all along Queen E. a week or so ago when I was down watching "Andy Warhol's Frankenstein" in 3D at the Fox and enjoying the Jazz Fest. As noted, they look cheap and are bland looking. When I pointed them out to my companion ("check out the new street signs") he did a double take and exclaimed "they suck!". He didn't know anything about new street signs until I pointed them out down there.
At the end of the day, I guess they're just street signs...

City Selling old Signs?

There was an article in the National Post last year that the City would sell off the old street signs but I have never heard anything else about it.

It's taken some time but as more of them pop up in my neighbourhood I find myself warming up to them. They look like they were designed by an engineer but let's face it the old ones are tough to read and some are in rough shape.

Just wondering

Just wondering when the abbreviation of boulevard became "bl"

Attachments

• DSC00097.jpg
    DSC00097.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 293

Back