426     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 388     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 880     3 

Do the older subway cars move faster?

M

miketoronto

I was on the subway last night around 9:30PM, and I was on one of the older trains. Now I usually am never on the older trains, as I usually get the newer T1 cars on my trip.

Anyway for the first time ever, I actually got scared on the Toronto subway due to our speed. The train was like flying down the tracks between Warden and Victoria Park Stations. We where going at top speeds and the train shook, etc.
I actually thought we where not going to stop at Victoria Park Station, thats how fast it felt like we where going. But then the train came to slow down mode pretty dam fast.

Anyway it was a weird feeling, and I remember learning that the trains are not suppose to speed around that curve so fast, do to dangers that the trains could turn over at high speeds on the tight curve.

So I was wondering if really the TTC driver was driving to fast, or if the older subway trains just give you the feeling you are moving faster then you are?

Anyone know about this? I have to admit it was pretty freaky.
And I noticed the whole way into downtown the train felt like it was doing above average speed, and shook and stuff. Yet it took us the same time to get downtown. So who knows.

I think that with less traffic -- your driver was just in a rush to reach the end of the track (maybe he had to go to the bathroom :p ; or a longer coffee break; or he was just going out of service). Just hope he was not breaking the speed limits for that segment of track :p

The H1s and H4s used to swerve quite a bit at high speeds. Coupled with the vinyl benches, if you didn't clench the old butt muscles, you soon found yourself on the floor.

If they're louder it will seem like they're moving faster.

I feel that way about the Montreal metro -- so loud, feels faster.

I guess freaking out passengers is a small price to pay for getting people from A to B faster. Right, Mike? :)

I don't know anything about subway train speeds, but what I do know is passenger comfort levels. I find the H-6s to have the best comfort level of all trains in the system. Most of the H-6s pull out of the station very smoothly and quietly, except for a light buzzing sound. The H-5/6 door chimes are more "soothing" than the shrill T-1 chimes. I don't really like the comfort level of the T-1. The train gives you a shake whenever it pulls out of the station or brakes. I can stand all that whirring noise that it makes, but it's a much louder train than the H-6.

Mike,

This is a wilded-assed guess: Older trains have poor, worn-out suspensions and are not insulated as well. It gives the impression of being faster or "out of control". Think about the difference in perception of speed between a Kia at 120 on the DVP and BMW 5 Series.

Back