News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 721     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 

Despite what Ford says The Streetcar in Toronto is here to stay.

+1

Supporting a pro-auto group that complains about road construction is definitely a lost cause.

You neglect to take into consideration that Ford supports Save Our Sheppard and his transit plan is to finish the Sheppard Subway as planned

Without cancelling Eglinton there is no money to pay for Sheppard.

Then again, McGuinty's fortunes are getting uglier and uglier (Campbell in BC stepped down over the HST today) and who knows?

I'm pretty sure his plan was to say that to get votes in scarborough and north york. When's the last time Ford voted in favour of anything that cost more money?

Passengers During Peak Periods

Sheppart_East_LRT.jpg

Transit City Suburban Vehicles (Bombardier Flexity Outlook): 200 with 50 seated

References: TTC and Transit Toronto

A train of two light rail vehicles (1 driver) 400 with 100 seats.
A train of three light rail vehicles (1 driver) 600 with 150 seats.
Maximum possible (using roughed-in underground sections of Eglinton Crosstown) of five light rail vehicles (1 driver) 1,000 with 250 seats.

attachment.php

The Transit City lines will have an initial platform length to accommodate 2 LRV car trains, with easy room to expand to 3 if there is demand.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure his plan was to say that to get votes in scarborough and north york. When's the last time Ford voted in favour of anything that cost more money?

We can't go second-guessing him before he's even in office. If and when he starts breaking promises, we'll see. But, with Ford, you can be sure if we don't get subways, we're not getting LRT either (since it gets in the way of cars).

Thankfully we already have some significant transit expansion plans with legally binding contracts and letters of intent in place, the funding as well. The subway extension to York U and then to Vaughn is already in the works and long overdue, three of the transit city lines have their funding in place and work has already started on the Sheppard East LRT and the funding for the Scarborough RT upgrade to LRT and extension to Sheppard and Progress (so far-hopefully soon to Malvern as well). It would be very costly for the city to start going through the courts to try and stop these legally binding contracts from going forward. My guess is that Ford is going to say someday soon "Aw shucks, I just promised those things to get voted in silly"!

The Transit City lines will have an initial platform length to accommodate 2 LRV car trains, with easy room to expand to 3 if there is demand.

So they are just "reserving" the platform space, here in Bangkok and in Luala Lumpur they actually just built the full platform - but they are running 4 cars (2 in Kuala Lumpur originally, 4 now mostly) with arrows on the platform where the train doors will be when the train stops for boarding. All they have to do when implementing longer trains. I cannot see the price for reserving the space vs. just building the platform being too much different in price.

Anyone know how much different the Flexity is from the Mark II (ART)? When I was in KL, I used the Mark II as a subway (some places elevated) and was actually quite impressed... I was originally skeptical of the Eglinton underground LRT (visioning the "LRT" platform at Union), but now believe it is actually a very good option if built correctly. If building an underground LRT is much less costly than underground subway - then it is sufficient for many lines in Toronto - especially if it gives room for more lines closer (long term).

So they are just "reserving" the platform space, here in Bangkok and in Luala Lumpur they actually just built the full platform - but they are running 4 cars (2 in Kuala Lumpur originally, 4 now mostly) with arrows on the platform where the train doors will be when the train stops for boarding. All they have to do when implementing longer trains. I cannot see the price for reserving the space vs. just building the platform being too much different in price.

Anyone know how much different the Flexity is from the Mark II (ART)? When I was in KL, I used the Mark II as a subway (some places elevated) and was actually quite impressed... I was originally skeptical of the Eglinton underground LRT (visioning the "LRT" platform at Union), but now believe it is actually a very good option if built correctly. If building an underground LRT is much less costly than underground subway - then it is sufficient for many lines in Toronto - especially if it gives room for more lines closer (long term).

It costs roughly the same...

For some reason though the official publications say surface platforms will be 90m long for Eglinton (slide 8):
http://www.toronto.ca/involved/proj...n_lrt/pdf/2009-11-20_display_panels_part1.pdf

The underground platforms will initially be 60, expandable to 90m (slide 9).

Presumably that means that other TC surface lines will have 90m platforms (of course someone is free to check those specific published plans to prove otherwise).

The original Gloucester cars were 55' 7½" (16.95 m) in length. Also, for a little while in the early history of the Toronto Yonge subway, trains of 4 Gloucester cars were used, using only roughly half the subway platform. Eventually, they settled on 6 Gloucester cars in the evenings and weekends, 8 during the rush and workday hours.

One new low-floor streetcar will be about equal in length to a married pair of Gloucester cars.

For some reason though the official publications say surface platforms will be 90m long for Eglinton (slide 8):
http://www.toronto.ca/involved/proj...n_lrt/pdf/2009-11-20_display_panels_part1.pdf

The underground platforms will initially be 60, expandable to 90m (slide 9).

Presumably that means that other TC surface lines will have 90m platforms (of course someone is free to check those specific published plans to prove otherwise).

Only Eglinton will have 90m platforms, all the other TC lines that have completed their EA (all except for Jane and Don Mills) are planned to have 60m platforms.

Only Eglinton will have 90m platforms, all the other TC lines that have completed their EA (all except for Jane and Don Mills) are planned to have 60m platforms.

Thanks for clarifying. Also worth noting though that these other routes don't have the forecast demand of Eglinton.

Thankfully we already have some significant transit expansion plans with legally binding contracts and letters of intent in place, the funding as well. The subway extension to York U and then to Vaughn is already in the works and long overdue, three of the transit city lines have their funding in place and work has already started on the Sheppard East LRT and the funding for the Scarborough RT upgrade to LRT and extension to Sheppard and Progress (so far-hopefully soon to Malvern as well). It would be very costly for the city to start going through the courts to try and stop these legally binding contracts from going forward. My guess is that Ford is going to say someday soon "Aw shucks, I just promised those things to get voted in silly"!

Need everyone be remided that plans, contracts, and construction were also in place for Sheppard (to STC) and Eglinton W and were cut back. Even the island airport bridge was fait accompli until Miller ripped up the contract.

Need everyone be remided that plans, contracts, and construction were also in place for Sheppard (to STC) and Eglinton W and were cut back. Even the island airport bridge was fait accompli until Miller ripped up the contract.

RE: Subways; That was due to Gov clawing back funding to save money. This is switching gears mid stream that could add higher costs through more design and penalities for cancelling current contracts and starting over... Not really the same scenario.

Those contracts were cancelled and replaced with nothing. If you're looking for the same thing to happen on transit routes, feel free.

Back