News   Aug 27, 2024
 707     2 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 535     0 

Designating a 401 lane as BRT lane...

Yeah, that would be beneficial to that GO bus route, you are right.

But it will be hardly relevant to this fellow's paper against Finch-Sheppard transit, as the GO route in question serves a fundamentally different traveller.

While Highway 401 is no good for local service, I think that a BRT or rail line could work very well for long-distance service. Say, stopping only at Mississauga City Centre, Pearson Airport, Jane Street, Yorkdale, York Mills or Sheppard/Yonge, Scarborough Centre, Pickering Centre, sort of like the GO ALRT. The key is that the buses or trains would get off the highway at each of those points to connect to nearby "centres", so it would be reasonably pedestrian friendly. Even improved service (service is infrequent outside rush hour, particularly in the west end) would make a big difference as buses on the 401 are always much faster than slow local buses on city streets.

It's probably worth mentioning that a 401 BRT implementation is actually a part of the Metrolinx RTP between Markham Road and Pickering GO station.

Yeah, that would be beneficial to that GO bus route, you are right.

But it will be hardly relevant to this fellow's paper against Finch-Sheppard transit, as the GO route in question serves a fundamentally different traveller.

While Highway 401 is no good for local service, I think that a BRT or rail line could work very well for long-distance service. Say, stopping only at Mississauga City Centre, Pearson Airport, Jane Street, Yorkdale, York Mills or Sheppard/Yonge, Scarborough Centre, Pickering Centre, sort of like the GO ALRT. The key is that the buses or trains would get off the highway at each of those points to connect to nearby "centres", so it would be reasonably pedestrian friendly. Even improved service (service is infrequent outside rush hour, particularly in the west end) would make a big difference as buses on the 401 are always much faster than slow local buses on city streets.

yeah i was thinking long distance service akin to GO on 401, not local service because what would be the point of that?

if the TTC wants to widen local roads for LRT then why not widen for BRT like in Bogota or Curitiba, Brazil? It saves putting in the tracks, lines.

I guess what im looking at here in my paper is "cost effectiveness." I am aware of the environmental challenges that Bogota TransMilenio faces.

Thanks Kettal for the offer but it's due tomorrow.

It's probably worth mentioning that a 401 BRT implementation is actually a part of the Metrolinx RTP between Markham Road and Pickering GO station.

i did not know that, i will look into that, thanks.

Back