News   Aug 02, 2024
 388     0 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 847     2 

Design Guild Properties of Davisville (Design Guild, 6s, RN Design)

We could "wait and see" for 350 years and individual people that think historicism looks like shit no matter what the context will continue to think so.

The materials and how crude/articulated they are do matter when we're comparing a house tucked away on some leafy Rosedale lot with a retail/condo block on Yonge. Different uses, different perspectives from passersby, different expectations.

This building is like an incomplete picket fence. One picket sticking out of the grass is silly, makes no sense, and isn't attractive, yet begs for company. One Design Guild is infinitely worse than one whole block of Design Guilds...one whole block could be great and chances are it'd be better than one block of supposedly contemporary buildings of any design (the preferable thing here, of course, might be to keep the whole block of existing buildings along Yonge). Historicist stuff really bugs a lot of people on this forum...why do people get so threatened by or angry at utter marshmallows like Design Guild? Give the full block a chance - you'll never admit it, but deep down you know it's really not that bad.

I'd almost take a reverse-egalitarian perspective, i.e. my Yonge has room for this Design Guild thing much as it has room for those bits of 70s Builder's Brutalism or 80s Pomo NeoVernacular or whatever flotsam occupies these parts...

Scarb's insistently pro-marshmallow / anti-design-culture stance situates him soundly in the same creationist / flat earth camp, when it comes to understanding contemporary design, as pepper79.

Scarb's insistently pro-marshmallow / anti-design-culture stance situates him soundly in the same creationist / flat earth camp, when it comes to understanding contemporary design, as pepper79.

Yawn. Another barb that's as limp as your purple hair.

I'm pro-bag of marshmallows. One marshmallow is silly...it'd get eaten alive in an architectural death match.

edit - for instance, a building like Cube Lofts on College would trounce one marshmallow and is vastly preferable, but I'd prefer one solid block of Design Guilds over one solid block of Cube Lofts.

Last edited:
Watch out! Here comes scarberiankhatru!

Stay-puft-marshmallow-man.jpg

articles say limestone used throughout.

i'd rather go 'balls out' attempting to enrich the urban fabric (nomatter the syle/pallete/construction
mentality used) than sit back and wait for others to 'create' (and finance!) the style of work that i'd prefer to
see.

not every work can/should be criticized, and not every critic can/should work.

Back