News   Jul 16, 2024
 492     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 610     2 

Deciding between Sheppard, Bayview or Yonge

kingkelly

Member Bio
Reaction score
Coming from Richmond Hill, planning on moving in to a condo closer to the subway line in about 2 years (working downtown, saving up for a down payment).

Iv'e been trying to figure out which area would be nicer, or is more affordable for me: Sheppard & Bayview, or 401 & Yonge. I love the little condo community on Henderson Garden, but I also like the little community of the New York Condos on Rean Drive across from Bayview Village.

Can you guys fill me in on what community is more affordable, and if you've heard any positives/negatives about both popular locations? Im new to the whole condo hunt, and am trying to get my feet wet now :p

Thanks a bunch!

Yonge and Sheppard has no heart. It is loaded with largely unoccupied recent towers and scant retail activity along Yonge. It is not an attractive location to live in my opinion.

Bayview and Sheppard is heavily dominated by Asian and Persian investors and owners so resale is more targeted to those demographics.

You are much better off picking up something farther south at Yonge and Eglinton. Over time your condo will hold it's value much better than the other areas you have described.

Good info.

I guess im looking for a less downtown type community. I hate the idea of moving downtown, but Ih ave to at least move to somewhere on the subway line as commuting to work is killing me right now.

I looked at some of the stuff at Egg and Yonge, and they seemed pricier than the stuff at bayview and sheppard. The bayview and sheppard condos looked newer and nicer and for the price. Im only looking for 1 bedroom, for around 200-220k.

Im guessing condos at eglington have a higher resale value than at Sheppard and Bayview?

If you're gonna live at Bayview & Sheppard, I hope you like Bayview Village! There's absolutely nothing else nearby.

Good info.

I guess im looking for a less downtown type community. I hate the idea of moving downtown, but Ih ave to at least move to somewhere on the subway line as commuting to work is killing me right now.

I looked at some of the stuff at Egg and Yonge, and they seemed pricier than the stuff at bayview and sheppard. The bayview and sheppard condos looked newer and nicer and for the price. Im only looking for 1 bedroom, for around 200-220k.

Im guessing condos at eglington have a higher resale value than at Sheppard and Bayview?

In my opinion Yonge and Eglinton property values will increases more over time than any other area of the city for numerous reasons. I believe you are far better off finding an older unit in that area and renovating it to your tastes than a new unit in either of the other two areas.

I would certainly disagree that Yonge and Sheppard "has no heart". There is all kinds of retailing in the area, and ready access to 401 as well as the subway. I am less impressed with Bayview and Sheppard. As Scarberian mentions, Bayview Village is the only retailing at the corner, and unless you want high-end women's clothing, you might find it to have limited appeal. You could however walk to the Canadian Tire a little farther east. :)

Yonge and Eglinton is better than either of your locations, but on average, more expensive for the same floor areas, amenities, etc. An amazing number of things are within walking distance. The area's appeal is that will hold its value through good and not-so-good times. If you can afford it, this neighbourhood would be hard to beat.

If checking this neighbourhood, don't overlook Merton Avenue, a few blocks south of Eglinton, where there are several condo buildings adjacent to Mount Pleasant Cemetery. This may meet your concept of a "less downtown" location, but still with some pretty good amenities nearby.

I would certainly disagree that Yonge and Sheppard "has no heart". There is all kinds of retailing in the area, and ready access to 401 as well as the subway. I am less impressed with Bayview and Sheppard. As Scarberian mentions, Bayview Village is the only retailing at the corner, and unless you want high-end women's clothing, you might find it to have limited appeal. You could however walk to the Canadian Tire a little farther east. :)

Yonge and Eglinton is better than either of your locations, but on average, more expensive for the same floor areas, amenities, etc. An amazing number of things are within walking distance. The area's appeal is that will hold its value through good and not-so-good times. If you can afford it, this neighbourhood would be hard to beat.

If checking this neighbourhood, don't overlook Merton Avenue, a few blocks south of Eglinton, where there are several condo buildings adjacent to Mount Pleasant Cemetery. This may meet your concept of a "less downtown" location, but still with some pretty good amenities nearby.

I'll second that,

The NYCC area has a lot of heart, starting North of Sheppard. I'd look for anything in this area if you're trying to avoid that downtown feel.

choices

My wife and I just went through this very process recently. We recently puchased a unit near Yonge and Sheppard. We didn't consider Yonge and Eglinton in a big way because, as much as subway access for my wife was important, it was equally important for me to have highway access because I work in Concord. We were looking for a 3 bedroom which also made Yonge and Eglinton less viable.

As for choosing between Bayview and Sheppard and Yonge and Sheppard my preferernce was the the latter. Like you we currently live in Richmond Hill and the truth of the matter is we actually do travel to the Yonge and Sheppard area to do things which is not the case with Bayvew and Sheppard. We have been to the Toronto Centre for Performing Arts on a number of occassions. We've also been to Mel Lastman Square for a number of events. I also like to swim for exercise and having the Douglas Snow Aquatic Centre (an indoor Olympic pool) within walking distance is great. Two different movie theatres is great for a movie buff like myself. The North York public library is there too and many restaurants as well. The fact that all of this is a SHORT walk was enough for us. We also happened to find the best unit for us in that area which made the choice a no brainer.

I'm not sure about which area has "heart". I would need a definition of "heart" in a urban context to be able to answer that. For me it has an urban feel and I think that it will improve with time. I believe that Menkes is planning a couple of 45 storey buildings at Yonge and Park Home, I'm assuming Conservatory Goup will add to the Yonge street corridor between Spring Garden and Hollywood. I've also seen plans for a development at Yonge and Sheppard that includes an office component an urban square (somewhat similor to Toronto Life Square perhaps?) as well as a Bazis proposal near Yonge and Sheppard on the West side. If these developments get built they too would add to the urban feel of the area.

We also considered Yonge and Finch but felt the area didn't have as much to offer.

If you need highway access, that will be a problem at Yonge and Eglinton. Keep in mind though that compared to Richmond Hill you're still much closer to the 401.

Yonge and Eg is the transition between urban Toronto to the south, and suburban frontier to the north. Based on my experience, it manages to pull the best qualities out of each, and blend them together for a fantastic neighbourhood. For a more suburban feel, consider something closer to Mount Pleasant, north or south of Eglinton. That far east, you're on the edge of a well established low density community and there is also power centre 5 minutes away. When you are more of an urban mood, Yonge St. is equally close.

I'll second that,

The NYCC area has a lot of heart, starting North of Sheppard. I'd look for anything in this area if you're trying to avoid that downtown feel.

You must be kidding. A future shop and some chain stores hardly makes for an appealing streetscape. The area is the victim of poor planning and rampant condo speculation without any of the benefits. Yonge and Finch suffers the same sad fate and it's going to worsen.

As suggested, consider Mount Pleasant if Y & E isn't in your budget. However, I would either stretch my budget or downsize my accommodations to live at Y & E. It is superior in every way.

He's looking for both affordability and quick subway access to downtown, so a older resale condo at Eglinton/Davisville might work...but I'm not sure you can get something for $200-$220K. If that's what you're willing/able to spend, continue searching around Yonge & Sheppard.

The only reason to choose Bayview & Sheppard over Yonge & Sheppard is if you find a cheaper unit.

Thanks for all the info guys.

First off, checked out queens quay last night with my fiancée. Saw that there were a lot of buildings to offer, but its still too downtownish. I dunno, doesnt have that neighbourhood feel to it.

Yonge and Egg was always our first choice, but gre away from it just because of the prices, and a lot of the new condos on mt pleasant are out of our price range.

I like bayview and sheppard (reans drive new york condos) mostly because of the little community of condos they have tucked away from sheppard. And being across the way from bayview village isnt a terrible thing. Pancsi's got me leaning towards yonge and sheppard now though, hahaha.

Another big thing is the condo fees. I've heard that theyre much higher in price around eglinton compared to sheppard. This true?

To make the choices easier, Im going to have to start looking at prices for the condos in the different areas. Are there certain sites that are dedicated to listing Toronto Condos for sale? Ive ran into a bunch of shady condo sites on my search.

Thanks guys!

Superior?

As suggested, consider Mount Pleasant if Y & E isn't in your budget. However, I would either stretch my budget or downsize my accommodations to live at Y & E. It is superior in every way.

As usual you speak in general terms. I'm not so familiar with Yonge and Eglinton so please be specific as to how it is superior in every way.

Well the whole strip along yonge around egg has tons of shops and some nightlife spots as well. But like you said, Yonge street north of sheppard has a good bunch of places as well.
Pancsi, are you living pretty close to yonge? Is it noisey at all?
The spot that im interested in (Henderson Garden condos) is south of sheppard, and right now there's not much on yonge on the south side of sheppard :\

Back