News   Jul 26, 2024
 997     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.7K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.6K     3 

Death of Clubland (aka: Is Adam Vaughan trying to kill the Club District?)

I would argue that they both have their role to play, galleries are positive contributors to any neighbourhood but clubs and nightlife are essential to any city. One can argue that the patrons of the ET are all 'suburban twerps' but as I've said before, not everyone likes the gallery/jazz bar/lounge scene. Even Torontonians! I live at St Clair and Bathurst (i. e. not suburban!) but still enjoy clubbing in the area........

I think the clubbing district brings vitality to the city. I love walking through the city on a Friday, Saturday nights near John and Richmond and seeing hundreds of young people all dressed up and partying it up.

As long as they're not throwing up on my yard, I'm okay with it! ;)

Best of both worlds...

I agree that there is a vitality that the clubs and the overall night scene bring to this area. It's exciting down there. I'm still young enough that I feel it.

Most people are aware what's down there and for someone like Vaughan to decide that they personally want this out of their zone because it conflicts with their view of what should be acceptable, liveable and permitted, are the actions of a man I wouldn't want to represent me.

He's a bully.

Not one of my friends, who are informed, educated and balanced minded people like this guy. As one woman told me, he's become exactly what he fought and advocated against before being elected to council.

Not one of my friends, who are informed, educated and balanced minded people like this guy. As one woman told me, he's become exactly what he fought and advocated against before being elected to council.

Which was?

From what she told me.....

Was that he in the end became the typical, self-serving bureaucrat he always critized when he was a journalist.

Someone that advances their own agenda and uses the powers of office to achieve this even if it's not necessarily what the people want or needed. He's trying to reshape the entertainment district into something that fits *his* vision.

This is the best that I can summarize how my friends feel about the man and what we all think about his behaviour. Hope this helps clarify.

As noted by fiendishlibrarian, the redevelopment of this area into a mixed-use downtown neighbourhood goes back to 1995 (and probably earlier), and that idea has been supported by mayors, councillors and numerous residents in the area, so it is hardly Adam Vaughan's vision alone. Regardless, the nature of this area will continue to evolve, and that will mean fewer clubs.

What is interesting is that, in effect, you are trying to argue your own self-serving vision for the neighbourhood: a nightclub ghetto. However, that's not what this part of the city is about, nor was it ever all about just clubs.

If anything, one could argue that the excesses of some clubs and too many clubbers - and the resulting poor perception of the area - have crippled the development of this part of town since 1995, but you're not likely not going to see it this way.

Also, given that many people who visit the area to go clubbing don't live in Vaughan's ward, they won't be able to vote for him or against him. And any individual wanting to be a councillor who argues for promoting the sole interests of clubs won't get very far at all.

I've been getting increasingly more work in the new club district -- King West -- so I haven't been to the Entertainment District at night in almost 2 months. Last night I had a gig there and I couldn't believe how visibly reduced pedestrian traffic was after 2am.

Police presence was also noticeably smaller on Richmond and larger on King West.

Several new clubs have opened on King and existing pubs and restaurants are catering more to the club/bar crowd that has been pushed West.

The only thing Vaughan has accomplished was to give Pantalone his property and business tax gold mine.

I can....

Really only say that my response to this is what I've heard and read.

And from what I've learned is that Vaughan's plan for this area seems focused on getting the clubs removed and there are too many reports out there through others that he simply hates the clubs and wants them gone. No real attempt to try and balance them with new commercial or residential.

If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. But it isn't just me who seems to be under the impression that Vaughan has a singular goal of getting the clubs out of this area and especially once he became councillor for this ward. I just don't come across that many people who are really impressed with him.

Maybe it's how the media and others present the problems with the area and his attemps at dealing with the district. I just don't think he was ever interested in striking a balance with the night scene and the new residents moving into the area.

Last edited:
And from what I've learned is that Vaughan's plan for this area seems focused on getting the clubs removed and there are too many reports out there through others that he simply hates the clubs and wants them gone. No real attempt to try and balance them with new commercial or residential.

If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong.

You're wrong.

Whether you like him or not, Vaughan has put plenty of emphasis on trying to enlarge the range of businesses and residences in the area. But councillors don't develop, they work with developers on trying to enable the best additions being proposed in a given neighbourhood. Councillors also listen to constituents who live in the area.

I just don't think he was ever interested in striking a balance with the night scene and the new residents moving into the area.

As I've pointed out, city councillors can't summarily close a club. The venue has to be a persistent problem before it gets closed. While the AGCO may act quickly on violations, the MLS is generally asleep at the wheel when it comes to clubs and enforcing city by-laws.

As for any balance, I guess you probably don't care that the Hotel Le Germain was losing customers due to the noise coming from a club across the street? Should that business suffer because of the excesses of another?

The neighbourhood is changing, and the number of clubs will be reduced. But it is also quite likely that some well-run venues will remain open.

Very soon we will start hearing what most residents and business owners of Ward 20 think of Councillor Vaughan and whether they would re-elect him. Based on what Councillor Vaughan has accomplished over the last 3 years, it seems as though we would be re-elected with ease. At the same time, does this Ward not like Adam and want to go back to having NDP representatives on all three levels?

Last edited:
^ Here's the kicker: a lot of club owners, promoters and many hundreds of people that make a living in the nightlife industry are Ward 20 constituents. I'll become one before the next election.

He's been flipping the bird to this part of his electoral base and I won't be surprised to see them vote for his opponent and likely organize a movement against him. The night-life industry elite are a powerful, well connected and rich bunch. They're not going to sit out the election.

^ Here's the kicker: a lot of club owners, promoters and many hundreds of people that make a living in the nightlife industry are Ward 20 constituents. I'll become one before the next election.

He's been flipping the bird to this part of his electoral base and I won't be surprised to see them vote for his opponent and likely organize a movement against him. The night-life industry elite are a powerful, well connected and rich bunch. They're not going to sit out the election.

Any idea on whether the many powerful, well connected rich people living in The Annex are satisfied with Councillor Vaughan's work? If the residents in The Annex are upset, there is a very good chance Vaughan will not be re-elected

Last edited:
The surviving clubs are still packed on Friday and Saturday nights, Vaughan's assertion that young people are tired of clubbing is simply wrong, I wonder where he gets his information. That being said, I think that he's won, unfortunately. Several of the clubs (Cabana and CiRCA are ones that come to mind) and are being replaced with condo development. Don't get me wrong, I love that fact that more people are choosing to live downtown, but why are they trying to bring the quiet suburbs with them?

Why assume the people living in these condos have moved downtown from the suburbs? And, while peace and quiet are values that longtime residents of other downtown neighbourhoods enjoy, let's not assume that the residents of this one don't want to live near clubs, bars, theatres and other cultural attractions either. Many, I'm sure, live in that part of town because of the proximity to such places. Neighbourhoods evolve, this one more rapidly than most - it has seen several different incarnations since the 1970s when the warehouse buildings south of Queen were first adapted for new uses. Enjoy these places for what they are while they exist, marvel at the way cities reinvent themselves, and then move on to the next thing.

Back