News   Jun 26, 2024
 231     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Dead/Decaying Malls of Greater Toronto

You didn't get what I meant. I meant popular nomenclature hasn't caught up with it's age and degree of urbanization. Read the quote.

"popular" usage of Hurontario Street far outweighs "Highway 10" within Mississauga, althought people will recognize both. I'm sure if you did a survey at Highways 5 and 10 most people would look at you with a confused look if you said you were at 5 & 10 and not Hurontario & Dundas.

Alderwood Plaza is back from the dead. After nearly a year of unsuccessfully trying to attract new tenants to several of its vacant and derelict storefronts, the owner (Gargan Investments) of the mall has finally decided to spend some cash on this property, realizing that potential quality commercial tenants don't want to move into a shithole. Unfortunately it's nothing revolutionary. Just a standard stucco face lift, to make the place look more "Smart Centre"ish. The place needs some major TLC on its parking lot, and could benefit from some landscaping.

Probably more of a quick-fix in light of limited post-recessionary redevelopment possibilities...

The (second) Simpson's (later the Bay, it closed in 2006) store at Shoppers World in Brampton is now being demolished; with plans to redevelop the north side of the mall. The big-boxing of the south end of the mall, with Staples, Canadian Tire, the larger Zellers store and the addition of others on the interior has helped somewhat; I would expect that it would be more big boxes on the north side as well.

http://www.bramptonguardian.com/news/article/903105--shoppers-world-gets-face-lift

Speaking of which, it makes me wonder about the former Bay store at Cloverdale Mall. It used to have two stories, and then when Zellers replaced it, they completely renovated it from the inside, but from the outside, it looks like the second floor could be still up there.

Interesting how *unrenovated* the exterior is, too: the same 50s glazed brick and patterned concrete panels as always...

the second floor has been essentially mothballed. Apparently when they re-did the old Zellers into Winners, etc it impacted parking, as such, adding more leasable area impacts parking negatively. Ironically full parking lots are something Cloverdale never really has to worry about.

The (second) Simpson's (later the Bay, it closed in 2006) store at Shoppers World in Brampton is now being demolished; with plans to redevelop the north side of the mall.

I'm surprised to hear this. Since last summer the Shoppers World site has shown a Sears Clearance store in this location:

malldirectorymap__en.jpg

Now obviously it wasn't there when I visited the place in the Spring, but I just assumed that the Sears was "coming soon".

the second floor has been essentially mothballed. Apparently when they re-did the old Zellers into Winners, etc it impacted parking, as such, adding more leasable area impacts parking negatively. Ironically full parking lots are something Cloverdale never really has to worry about.

I wonder if they use it for any kind of storage, or even if they have any access to it at all. In any case, it will be interesting to see what happens to Cloverdale, even though its fairly well off now, it's obviously not much of a destination mall.

I wonder if they use it for any kind of storage, or even if they have any access to it at all. In any case, it will be interesting to see what happens to Cloverdale, even though its fairly well off now, it's obviously not much of a destination mall.

It's decent, especially considering the proximity to Sherway Gardens.

Speaking of dead malls, anyone have opinions on Westwood in Malton? Or is that mall just too far gone? ;)

Alderwood Plaza is back from the dead. After nearly a year of unsuccessfully trying to attract new tenants to several of its vacant and derelict storefronts, the owner (Gargan Investments) of the mall has finally decided to spend some cash on this property, realizing that potential quality commercial tenants don't want to move into a shithole. Unfortunately it's nothing revolutionary. Just a standard stucco face lift, to make the place look more "Smart Centre"ish. The place needs some major TLC on its parking lot, and could benefit from some landscaping.

Dammit, why won't they sell already?? I want to see it dead.

Back