News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 434     0 

Davisville Yard Planning Study

Does anyone have any more info on this?

"In 1978 the developer chose to submit a new proposal which largely met the objectives of the design guidelines. The project consisted of four buildings: one 6 storey office/retail building, and three residential structures increasing incrementally in height from 4 to 23 storeys. The City approved this development by adopting site-specific zoning to accommodate it; however it was not built due to the unfavourable economic conditions of the early 1980s.

The site-specific zoning permitting this development is still active. This scheme could be built today under the existing zoning. "

davisville_building_height.jpg

Fantastic news. They should try to cram as much onto that site as possible. I wonder whether it's really necessary to keep the small yard open. It seems to me that it would be easier to shut it down, build the planned expansion of Wilson to replace the capacity, and sell the Davisville land for developement without the need for an extremely complex structure over an active rail yard.

I know it was mentioned briefly in another thread, but is the TTC still looking at over-building the Davisville yard? I remember reading a report about it from a few years ago. Would it even be worth it? They could probably get a lot more money shutting down the yard, expanding Wilson, and selling the land for development without complex engineering.

I know it was mentioned briefly in another thread, but is the TTC still looking at over-building the Davisville yard? I remember reading a report about it from a few years ago. Would it even be worth it? They could probably get a lot more money shutting down the yard, expanding Wilson, and selling the land for development without complex engineering.

There is meant to be a Davisville Yard planning study going on, but the City's website hasn't been updated in over a year so I've no clue what the status is. It's not so simple as declaring the yard surplus, the TTC has declared it to be operationally important (trains stored here serve the Sheppard line). Access to any future development above or in the yard area is the key issue. None of the NIMBY's bordering the site will want traffic generated from the new yard developent spilling out on to their street.

Thanks so much for doing that, Ed. Now I can find the old report!

I know they store the Sheppard trains there, but is there any reason why they couldn't just store them at an expanded Wilson? I know they have land there for an expansion, and with subway expansions out of favour since Transit City, it might just make sense to shift the Davisville cars to Wilson and then have a much easier job of building on the yard site.

A side benefit of the Vaughan extension could be good locations for new yards!

Why close the yards at all? These buildings would go above the yards. And, unless Sheppard is extended to Downsview, that would be one long ride to get the trains to Sheppard.

It would cost tens of millions at least to build over a working rail yard. It would require a very complex structure, and cause significant disruption to the yard operations.

Sheppard trains could just be run in-service at the end of the evening along the YUS line. They could have a little announcement: "Attention. Short train approaching. Board from the centre of the platform."

Sheppard uses 4 trainsets (right?), at least some of which are stored overnight in the Sheppard line tailtracks. I can't see more than one or two tracks being needed at Davisville for Sheppard trains. Right now it seems to be also used for storage of work cars.

Perhaps a middle ground could be found? Figure out how much of Davisville is surplus and sell it off, and build over top the rest.

Maybe they could revive Vincent Yard or something for the work cars. Since Toronto's so big on development around every subway station, it's hard to find sites for yards! One of the best could be in the area between York and VCC. Any good spots along the Yonge North extension?

Seems like the hydro corridor immediately south of the 407 on the west side of Yonge could handle a decent yard, although it might need to be in a few "fingers" unless the hydro pylons were moved.

They store rushhour train sets at Davisville, with many rush runs entering service there. It's actually a very active yard now, compared to the days pre-Sheppard when it had been effectively mothballed.

This was what was proposed in 1969, courtesy of Emporis.com:
davisville.jpg

The yard would have remained in service.

Back