News   Jul 16, 2024
 682     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 604     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 745     2 

David Gunn to consult on TTC budget cuts

At least with the original Transit City's Eglinton plans, it would have been more accessible. With the Ford City's Eglinton it will be less accessible, because maintenance, emergencies, mischief, etc. will result in putting the escalators and elevators out-of-service. Just click on this link for the current list of out-of-service escalators and elevators. One elevator out-of-service and 13 escalators out-of-service at this writing, not counting emergencies or mischief incidents.
All but three of those escalators are out-of-service for ten days or less. And you'd still have the same maintenance issue under the Miller or Ford plan between Keele and Laird, as well as at Don Mills.

All but three of those escalators are out-of-service for ten days or less. And you'd still have the same maintenance issue under the Miller or Ford plan between Keele and Laird, as well as at Don Mills.

Any underground railway will have the same problem, escalators or elevators going out-of-service (either planned or unplanned) can make the station inaccessible if ALL the escalators and elevators are out-of-service in the direction you want to go. One reason my mother wouldn't want to use the subway, fear of an out-of-service escalator and having to use the many steps, but would rather use the streetcar to get downtown (she could handle the few steps on our current crop of streetcars, would have been fine with the coming low-floor streetcars or light rail vehicles on the surface.), bypassing the subway.

If TTC has a budget to maintain what we have today at $1.5B, what do you expect TTC do if they get a budget of $1.3B for 2012?

Based on the questions I asked today, TTC will look at the core service first and then start looking at and where service can be put before funds dry up.

It was stated by the vice chair that a fare increase is going to happen in 2012. Its a given considering everyone in the 905 is either doing it now or early next year. Watch GO to raise fares in 2012.

In the Star today:

If it comes to this, Mr. Milczyn says he will sell it to riders “by being very clear with them. If you really need the Dufferin bus, would you be willing to pay more for it or potentially not have it, or not have it as often or on weekends, because those are the choices.â€

Seriously, the Dufferin bus?

Seriously, the Dufferin bus?
One would assume that he was talking off the top of his head ... and hadn't carried out an exhaustive study.

Besides - surely even buy routes could see cuts - especially particularly off-peak if they change the service standards so that they run less frequently.

And the Dufferin bus was shortened recently because of low ridership.

And the Dufferin bus was shortened recently because of low ridership.

Maybe he just meant the CNE extension, I suppose. But it's odd to pick the busiest bus route in the city as your one example.

Still, it runs through a poor neighbourhood that votes for the opposition, so it's a pretty safe example to pick.

Mr. Peter Milczyn, though he is a city councilor, is no David Gunn, nor a Steve Munro for that matter. Both know public transit better than Mr. Milczyn.

I would say there are a fair numbers of us on this board that knows more on public transit than Mr. Milczyn and the rest of the fools on the commission. I had to pitch hit for Mr. Milczyn at an EA event since I knew more about the event than he did. He even stated it to the people that he wanted me to speak to.

Back in February of 2010, Rob Ford had wanted either David Gunn or a David Gunn clone to run the TTC. View the following video, especially after the 1:20 mark.

[video=youtube;3zLKk77zty4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zLKk77zty4[/video]

Back