News   Sep 05, 2024
 669     0 
News   Sep 05, 2024
 621     0 

Dark subway car in regular service

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've seen on more than one occasion dark, empty TTC subway cars in trains put into regular service. Today I bumped into one on my morning commute in the Sheppard Subway.

I think this not only an embarrassment to the TTC and to the city, but this also reduce much-needed capacity on the subway system. On this Sheppard train 1/4 of the train's capacity is take away by this car not being used, and passengers are forced to cram into adjacent cars.

4077118456_409555452c_b.jpg

4077118820_6875be3bb2_b.jpg

4077119242_438eba9c80_b.jpg

Oh, as in the entire car just wasn't working?

I know there are some times I'm on the subway after a long day and I just wish all the lights would turn off so I could go to sleep, but in this case it seems like I wouldn't be able to get on that lightless car :(

Did you report it to the TTC? Or were there operators trying to fix the problem?

On several occasions I've seen this on both the Yonge and Bloor lines, usually its the older trains, however, now I see that this is not always the case. It severely increases dwell times as well, as they operators have to wait for people in the effected area of the platform to realize the car is out of service and walk to the next one.

I've seen this a few times too over the years too. I think that taking the whole line out of service because of any number of technical problems in one car, perhaps a safety issue or maybe someone lost their cookies in there seems to me less efficient than continuing the whole train with one car shut down.

I've seen this a few times too over the years too. I think that taking the whole line out of service because of any number of technical problems in one car, perhaps a safety issue or maybe someone lost their cookies in there seems to me less efficient than continuing the whole train with one car shut down.

I don't see how this is an issue. Doesnt the TTC have a lost and found service?

I've seen this a few times, though not in the recent past. It was probably too much of a hassel to take a Sheppard train out of service and replace it with another during regular service hours so they just kept it going and sealed that car.

I remember back when I used the Bloor line more often riding the H4 trains and having the lights flickr in and out between stations now and then. One time the lights cut out completely, except the one above each door, somewhere around Main Street Station and we kept going all the way to Kennedy like that. It was quite a fun ride.

I've seen this a few times, though not in the recent past. It was probably too much of a hassel to take a malfunctioning Sheppard train out of service and replace it with another during regular service hours so they just kept it going and sealed that car.

I remember back when I used the Bloor line more often riding the H4 trains and having the lights flickr in and out between stations now and then. One time the lights cut out completely, except the one above each door, somewhere around Main Street Station and we kept going all the way to Kennedy like that. It was quite a fun ride.

A few weeks ago I ran into the front car for a T1 close from St George to Kipling. I just made it getting on the 2nd car.

I use the front car as it is where the stairs are at my Islington stop.

The number of riders who had to wait until the next train 6 minutes out was very high since they could not move fast enough to get from the first car location to the 2nd car because the guard fast finger for closing the doors.

In one case, the door was held open to get the all the family members on, otherwise the small kids would be on the train by themselves.

You would think the guard would allow more time for the doors when he see a large group waiting at the front car to get to the 2nd car, but was not the case.

It'd be an even largest waste if they took the entire train out of service for a problem with one car.

Usually one car is shut off when someone vomited inside or something like that.

In this case all the doors are manually cut out for a number of reasons.

Vomit or some one like the person above physically held the doors open and broke the door inter locks. It makes more sense to keep the train in service then take it out.

DSC, its not up to the guard.....all times are set to schedule which is monitored by transit control. The more time a train spends at a certain station the more the line is backed up. The only station that has a longer wait time is Bloor.

it happened to me once when i was on the h series. man that was freaky, it felt like riding the ghost train. u kno how to the fan is very noisy on the h series and when lights don't work...yea, u get the idea...

Back