News   May 09, 2024
 491     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 834     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Short term:

Gas expert warns of gas shortage across GTA

From link.

A lot of gas stations may be running dry, at least temporarily. GasBuddy.com’s Dan McTeague says we are experiencing a gas shortage as the National Energy Board has reduced pipeline shipper Trans-Northern’s flow by 10 per cent.

“Concerns about spills, over pressures etc., So I think that’s what’s happening, is the NEB is erring on the side of caution,” said McTeague. “Both public safety and the environment tends to be trumping everything else here and that’s critical.”

McTeague says stations are going to be scrambling to make up the difference.

“Ten per cent may not sound like a lot, but when you operate on the ‘just in time system’ where it’s very finite… a gas station will call a shipper to send gasoline to replace, usually that takes three or four hours. Now they may be delayed several hours,” McTeague adds drivers will notice some stations without. “I don’t think you’re going to see gas prices going up. I do believe however, it’s going to be a question of moving from one gas station to another.”

Note that the $3.2 Billion budget was approved with staff notifying Council and our mayor that the project WILL not be able to meet those timetable or budget. Under the leadership of our mayor, the project was approved anyways. Staff anticipate that it the project will cost up to $4.2 Billion. Original estimated budget, from only a few months ago, was $2 Billion

Folks, its ok we don't need a DRL and LRT are for loser cities not world class cities like ours who once had the best mayor ever.

Note that the $3.2 Billion budget was approved with staff notifying Council and our mayor that the project WILL not be able to meet those timetable or budget. Under the leadership of our mayor, the project was approved anyways. Staff anticipate that it the project will cost up to $4.2 Billion. Original estimated budget, from only a few months ago, was $2 Billion

If I recall, the $3.2 billion estimate was also very far from complete.

9 years, and $4 billion - $5 billion for one stop?!

That's basically the same cost for the Downtown Relief Line (Phase 1).

I seriously hope this madness comes to an end.

Although I agree its a crazy bill Im willing to bet my house, my car, my inheritance that the DRL will cost more than what they are currently suggesting.

Although I agree its a crazy bill Im willing to bet my house, my car, my inheritance that the DRL will cost more than what they are currently suggesting.

It will. Subway construction cost has gone way up. Concrete is rising in cost. Every day we wait it gets pricier. Should have done this since the 90s.

Of course.

But the cost estimate earlier this year was $3.2 billion. That's the same as the Scarborough extension right now. Start them at the same time and the relative cost may not be that far off.

It's just insane that they're blowing $4 billion - $5 billion on a one stop vanity extension that won't be done for nearly a decade, while the DRL (that's been desperately needed for many years now) sits on the sidelines.

We could've had a terrific LRT already under construction for a fraction of the cost, with the province picking up the operating and maintenance costs.

Very frustrating.

Yeah I was worried about that too, but after hearing this statement I feel completely reassured now.

“We are confident that city staff and the TTC are working together to deliver this project on the timetable presented.”
- John Tory​

Bullshit. The mayor and all of council was told the timetable and budget they approved were unachivable since day 1. They know the price is expected to escalate to up to $4.2 Billion. I can't wait for Tory to come out and criticize the TTC for his own bs decision when it's soon announced that the project will be over budget and behind schedule. What a con job.

$4.2 billion to build a one station extension compared to 6 stops on the TYSSE for a final pricetag of just $2.9 billion in 2010 dollars, most with elaborate bus terminals attached. Things sure have really gone up in such a short span of time.

Of course.

But the cost estimate earlier this year was $3.2 billion. That's the same as the Scarborough extension right now. Start them at the same time and the relative cost may not be that far off.

It's just insane that they're blowing $4 billion - $5 billion on a one stop vanity extension that won't be done for nearly a decade, while the DRL (that's been desperately needed for many years now) sits on the sidelines.

We could've had a terrific LRT already under construction for a fraction of the cost, with the province picking up the operating and maintenance costs.

Very frustrating.
Talk to Coffey. Don't disrespect scarborough.

Back