News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 505     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

To use the SRT corridor for the subway, I would take space away from SmartTrack. It also requires the Kennedy Station to be rebuilt and realigned - meaning closure of the station for years.

No it wouldn't. The new station would be built north of the old one while it remained in operation, and then the tunnel wall would be knocked out to connect it. The station might not have to completely close at all.

Since we're talking about potential above-ground subway alignments, the 2013 Metrolinx feasibility study has lots of interesting stuff about the technical requirements of utilizing the SRT corridor for the subway extension. Executive summary: it's feasible but very complicated.

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pdf/20130910_Scarborough_Subway_Feasibility_Study.pdf

No it wouldn't. The new station would be built north of the old one while it remained in operation, and then the tunnel wall would be knocked out to connect it. The station might not have to completely close at all.

"Construction of the tie-in and special trackwork west of Kennedy Station would require the shutdown of the Bloor-Danforth subway between Warden and Kennedy Stations for a short period of time"

I disagree with BRT.

I am a big fan of BRT when done right like Miss/Ott/Peg where there are real rapid transit bus-ways. In this case however I think the plan is excellent because it has long seamless routes. STC to Kipling, UTS to Pearson, Mount Dennis to Kennedy.............you can travel long distances with few or no transfers. People hate transfers and any system that gets rid of them is a better one.

Again this was one of the many faults of TC.............completely disjointed and endless transfers. TC was very rider unfriendly. Longer routes are faster and more pleasant as you can just sit back and relax with your IPAD or book and not wonder when you next transfer is to say nothing of the bother of getting up/off the route if you are carrying bags, a stroller, or are disabled or elderly.

This is exceptional well thought out {although I think Eglinton/UTS still has too many stops} and I think the only real question is the route from Kennedy to STC as using McCowan in a tunnel is too expensive and those funds could be more constructively used elsewhere.

Who came up with this new plan, the City, Tory, TTC, or MLX?

Great points. This has to be a Tory mandate to TTC to find a solution a likely in coordination with Metrolinx and the Province. If Tory can pull this off he can stay Mayor till he croaks & continue to unite the City little by little

I would rather the Federal funding go towards building the line to Sheppard and adding a Lawrence East station instead of to SmartTrack.

The Lawrence Smarttrack station should be scrapped & it should be added back to the subway extension. It will speed up Smarttrack and provide a more central station on Lawrence.

Other than that, find an optimal route and start building.

Yeah. Good plan overall, but they ought to re-examine shorter Brimley and Midland subway routes instead of McCowan, and look at the feasibility of adding a Lawrence station there.

How much can a shallow station cost, without a bus terminal? If it is under $100 million, or even $120 million, it is not a lot of money compared to the total cost of this extension.

True, but the report this week did show that you'd save hundreds of millions with the Midland alignment - and you get the bonus of having an east-west station at Scarborough Centre, so you could put it near where the current station is - leaving open the possibility of a future extension in the far future along the SRT alignment to Centennial and Progress/Sheppard. In terms of development of Scarborough Centre - which the report says is driving this entire thing, it let's you protect the option of future stations at Bellamy and Brimley.

And what do you have to expropriate - a one-story Dollarama and a parking lot. You might even find a way to make money off that!

Hello, first time poster here. I've been following the subway debate for a while, and I'm interested in your comment regarding the millions saved with the Midland alignment. Could someone direct me to this report. Is this report online? I'm usually pretty good at tracking the latest info down, but haven't seen any info comparing the relative costs of the different alignment. Would be interesting to read.

Thanks,
L.

If Tory was involved in this plan then he obviously has not only political smarts but some good understanding of transit and what people want out of the system.

This is the best damn plan Toronto has had for a generation and what's more it's actually affordable, doable, and politically palatable. It provides rapid transit to hundreds of new centres and hundreds of thousands of more people at an affordable price by making use of current infrastructure and being open minded about Eglinton for LRT.

If Toronto gets going on this, it will have LRT from Pearson to UTS, subway from Kipling to STC, subway from Mount Dennis to Kennedy and beyond and this combined with GO RER and an expanding GO system and electrification, this will be the greatest expansion of transit in the city since the post-war period.

If Tory was involved in this plan then he obviously has not only political smarts but some good understanding of transit and what people want out of the system.

This is the best damn plan Toronto has had for a generation and what's more it's actually affordable, doable, and politically palatable. It provides rapid transit to hundreds of new centres and hundreds of thousands of more people at an affordable price by making use of current infrastructure and being open minded about Eglinton for LRT.

If Toronto gets going on this, it will have LRT from Pearson to UTS, subway from Kipling to STC, subway from Mount Dennis to Kennedy and beyond and this combined with GO RER and an expanding GO system and electrification, this will be the greatest expansion of transit in the city since the post-war period.
We are already in the greatest expansion of transit in this city's history.

We have a 19km rapid transit route being built under Eglinton, in addition to the Spadina extension to Vaughan. And, the province's GO-RER plans are the largest transit investment in Canada's history.

Though, we have a lot of making up to do for the lull of the past 30 years. I think it is imperative that we as a city continue demanding more and more.

Hello, first time poster here. I've been following the subway debate for a while, and I'm interested in your comment regarding the millions saved with the Midland alignment. Could someone direct me to this report. Is this report online? I'm usually pretty good at tracking the latest info down, but haven't seen any info comparing the relative costs of the different alignment. Would be interesting to read.
There were 2 documents released this week - both are on the city's Scarborough Subway Extension site - http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=804037e5463fa410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD there's a
(oddly, only the report can be found on the project website: http://www.scarboroughsubwayextension.ca/

However, if you go back to older work on the project website http://www.scarboroughsubwayextension.ca/project-materials.html and look at the Phase 2 presentation from May-July 2015, in the slides it has the relative costs of the various alignments. Midland/McCowan is $100-$130 million lower.

upload_2016-1-24_10-10-0.png

Tory understanding is generally shallow. However, so is his commitment, and one of his strengths is he'll listen to the smart people around him. The trick is to make sure the right people are around him. Fortunately under Ford the city hired an excellent planner.

Attachments

• upload_2016-1-24_10-10-0.png
    upload_2016-1-24_10-10-0.png
    879.4 KB · Views: 728
There were 2 documents released this week - both are on the city's Scarborough Subway Extension site - http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=804037e5463fa410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD there's a
(oddly, only the report can be found on the project website: http://www.scarboroughsubwayextension.ca/

However, if you go back to older work on the project website http://www.scarboroughsubwayextension.ca/project-materials.html and look at the Phase 2 presentation from May-July 2015, in the slides it has the relative costs of the various alignments. Midland/McCowan is $100-$130 million lower.

View attachment 64780

Tory understanding is generally shallow. However, so is his commitment, and one of his strengths is he'll listen to the smart people around him. The trick is to make sure the right people are around him. Fortunately under Ford the city hired an excellent planner.

This is excellent leadership on Tory's part. Nobody can realistically expect the mayor of a city to be an expert in all things related to the city. Just like the CEO of a large company can not be an expert in every LOB or division that they oversee. As you said, the key is to hire great people, listen to them, support them, and most importantly, let them do their jobs!! I think Tory has done a fantastic job in this regard and deserves a lot of credit. He is showing himself to be a great leader thus far.

My gut feeling tells me its a combination of both the City staff and Tory. I admire what Tory is trying to do, which strike a compromise between those who want a subway to STC and those who want LRT. My concern is as I previously stated is that he is potentially setting himself up for defeat in the 2018 municipal election. I looked at the election results from 2014 particularly on the 10 wards that make up Scarborough and only 1 ward (Gary Crawford's ward) voted for Tory. The other 9 voted for Ford. This is not something I would dismiss completely. He will have to do a lot more to convince Scarborough that this new plan will work.

I'm going to safely assume the province and feds want no part of another Rob Ford debacle at city hall. I would like to think that if it meant adding one or two stations (Lawrence+) to the current proposal to make Tory look good and win him votes in Scarborough I think they would do it. Another 4 years of Rob Ford would set this city back 50 years. We simply can't afford it.

Agree wholeheartedly. This is a great proposal. I don't see how anyone in the city (including Scarborough) can see this as a losing plan. As you said, the continuous lines offered from one end of the city to the next without needing to transfer makes it very appealing. Let's hope they can get this done. Toronto needs it.

Back