News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

If you were starting you trip at Unionville perhaps.

But why would someone who lives in Markham, 5 km up McCowan from Sheppard, drive 6 km north to Unionville, to catch a relatively infrequent train, and then change again at Kennedy.

Salsa claimed that none from Markham would drive to McCowan/Sheppard and park to get on subway. I think some will.

Am I missing something? Why wouldn't those riders in southern Markham go to Miliken Station? No parking lots there or something?

And if it is really that big of a deal, then why not build a new GO-RER station with the appropriate facilities at Finch? We should be doing that alongside GO-RER improvements anyway.

I now have a new worry that did not exist before:

Unfortunately, I thought we were better than this, but.... Could cancellation of Scarborough Subway happen mid-construction? Let's look at the Eglinton subway which was under construction, and got filled in during the 1990s. So there's precedent.

Consider the increased risks today:
(A) All of Metrolinx's new LRTs will be finished (ECLRT, Hurontario). These Euro-style LRTs will move twice as fast as a TTC streetcar, and Toronto finally realizes what good LRT is like. A few percent of Scarborough gets buyer's remorse.
(B) All or most of GO RER may be finished before Scarborough 3 stations. Alternative "subway" suddenly exists in Scarborough.
(C) Potential US debt default in next 8 years, unexpected Canada housing crash, or other major financial crisis
(D) UPX airport train becomes apparently self-sustainable (i.e. profitable), confounding naysayers (even though it should have been $3 public transit, yes)

Let's say, hypothetically, within 8 years, a new city government suggests cancelling the under-construction Scarborough subway (and the provincial government promptly plays along):
(A) if not much yet has has been spent so far on Scarborough subway (e.g. delayed start, construction delays right at beginning...) and cancellation penalties are manageable.
(B) a very tempting Metrolinx LRT carrot (even better than the earlier Scarborough LRT) or two gets dangled, if Metrolinx's has a strong record of their projects not being cancelled
(C) reduce property taxes again
(D) point out all the Scarborough jealousy of all the new Metrolinx infrastructure now newly constructed, massive buyer's remorse.
(E) how wonderful the new Union station is (post-revitalization)

The playing field just changed unexpectedly.
The Scarborough subway risks just went WAY up.

Could a Scarborough subway be cancelled mid-construction?

Last edited:
Let's say, hypothetically, within 8 years, a new city government suggests cancelling the under-construction Scarborough subway (and the provincial government promptly plays along):
(A) if not much yet has has been spent so far on Scarborough subway (e.g. delayed start, construction delays right at beginning...) and cancellation penalties are manageable.

Of corse it could. I wouldn't count on it though. It's not something I'd particularly worry about.

Am I missing something? Why wouldn't those riders in southern Markham go to Miliken Station? No parking lots there or something?
Yes, that's more likely than driving to Unionville. I always forget about that one. Still, if it's only an extra 3-4 minutes in the car, I'd think it be faster to go to McCowan so as not to have to wait up to 15 minutes for a train, and then change at Kennedy. But some yes, will to to Milliken.

And if it is really that big of a deal, then why not build a new GO-RER station with the appropriate facilities at Finch? We should be doing that alongside GO-RER improvements anyway.
With talk of adding stations at 14th Avenue, Finch, Lawrence, Ellesmere, Gerrard, Queen, Unilever, and Sherbourne, as well as stopping at Danforth and Scarborough, I wonder what that will do for the old 3-stop trip from Unionville becoming 13 stop, and the non-stop trip from Kennedy becoming 6-stop! Electrification and multiple units won't save as much time as adding so many stops costs.

Continued mention of the Scarborough Subway project in the 2015 Budget today. "Toronto’s extension of the Bloor–Danforth subway through Scarborough. The Project Assessment Study is currently underway."

See here for full budget details on transit: http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/budget/ontariobudgets/2015/ch1b.html#ch1b_3
Thx. Just a note though: It took me a while to find that passage because your link is to a section of the document after that passage.

This is the more appropriate link:

http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/budget/ontariobudgets/2015/ch1b.html#ch1b_2

Last edited:
TTC recently reported that trains on Line 3 have been "reduced to 50 km/h maximum speeds due to a variety of line equipment and operational issues".

Yeah, or lower. When I last rode it a few months ago (twice from end to end), the train never broke 40 km/h, and was being driven manually. A damn shame the TTC has let it fall apart, instead of maintaining it, like Vancouver.

A damn shame the TTC has let it fall apart, instead of maintaining it, like Vancouver.
City council and the province had an agreement that the SRT would be closed in 2015 to be replaced with LRT. Maintaining it unnecessarily would have been fiscally irresponsible.

Now that they know they'll be running it for another decade, there are now millions of dollars available for life extension - hence the vehicle refurbishment, and this weekends shutdown for upgrades.

How many of the trains have they ruined now with the blue wrap?

In typical bureaucratic fashion they are only doing one and then setting up a bunch of public consultations to determine their popularity before they finish the rest.

Back