News   Jul 16, 2024
 612     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 565     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 707     2 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Let me get this straight. Streetcars and LRT bad, because they would need crossing gates.

Heavy rail or subways good, because they do not need crossing gates.

Does that mean that these CTA Brown Line trains are "streetcars", according to your definition, and therefore "bad"?

They sure look like heavy rail Chicago subway trains to me.

It sure would suck in general to live right beside that. But it would be even worse to not have any access to it because the station is no where near the house.

Let me get this straight. Streetcars and LRT bad, because they would need crossing gates.

Does that mean that these CTA Brown Line trains are "streetcars", according to your definition, and therefore "bad"?

cta2319b.jpg

kedzie3.jpg

2670189444_d456b6ecd7_z.jpg

Ha it's funny to see the arguments people will put forward to push forward their agendas.

A streetcar must go slowly because of pedestrians crossing mid-block, or J walking at intersections that do not have a stop. A streetcar also must be weary about illegally turning cars at all intersections and emergency vehicles.

I am not sure, but I assume that since LRT are described as being so reliable, we are implementing crossing gates at all intersections (like at railway crossings) and also putting up a fence along the entire route to prevent pedestrians crossing. If LRT has to put up with illegal pedestrians and cars, it would almost identical to a streetcar.

LRTs absolutely do Not Need crossing gates to be reliable. Vehicles blocking the trains is a rare occurrence at most. Trains will probably be delayed far more because of passenger suicide than by vehicles blocking the tracks.

Last edited:
I wonder how many people would actually commit suicide on a outdoor lrt. I lived in Calgary for four years and never remember a delay or a news article about suicides. Also we hear all the time about people committing suicides on the subway system but I never hear about that in regards to buses, and some bus drivers drive way over the limit so it wouldnt be hard to do. It seems rather that those who commit suicide rather do it in dark places. Then again this could be completely off base.

Did you see the map? One of them proposed by the Murray has zero stops in any of the priority neighbourhoods, even though it runs through them. It's essentially a shuttle from Kennedy to Scarb Town Centre.

The second map includes just one stop in a priority neighbourhood.
Surely the first map with no stops is simply the location of a line, without an attempt to show where stops are.

This mistake was at the last minute creating a second one, with a stop in the middle. It's clear they haven't thought through stops yet ... not sure why people are reading so much into this.

It's an indication that the province hasn't though this out very well.

"Just gives Scarborough the damn and stop bothering me". An aid probably went in Adobe Illustror, drew some line on a map, printed it out and called a press conference. It's a disgraceful plan.

It's an indication that the province hasn't though this out very well.

"Just gives Scarborough the damn and stop bothering me". An aid probably went in Adobe Illustror, drew some line on a map, printed it out and called a press conference. It's a disgraceful plan.

Well the people of Scarborough are happy with it, they would be happy with a one stop subway as long as it's a subway.

A streetcar in its own ROW is still a streetcar. You can give it a fanciful name like LRT, but the tech is the same.

If anything, I think the mayor has gotten to y'all if you think the term 'streetcar' is so dirty.

An LRT is NOT simply a streetcar in its own ROW. Yes they are very similar and use the same rolling stock, but they are different. Specifically, a "true" LRT should have signal priority and wider stop spacing than a streetcar ROW.

If Spadina was a true LRT, it would only stop at the major streets that the subway stops at (Harboard, College, Dundas, Queen, King) - if that, and would have signal priority so the damn thing wouldn't be getting so many red lights. It would also have off-board payment, which is actually coming with the new streetcars.

That said, the difference is also hardly black and white. There are many shades of grey as different cities around the world implement their lines and systems differently. This is true for all rail transit modes though, such as between LRT and subways (Newcastle) and subways and commuter rail (San Francisco). Toronto's proposed LRT lines appear to fall between streetcars and LRT.

I wonder how many people would actually commit suicide on a outdoor lrt. I lived in Calgary for four years and never remember a delay or a news article about suicides. Also we hear all the time about people committing suicides on the subway system but I never hear about that in regards to buses, and some bus drivers drive way over the limit so it wouldnt be hard to do. It seems rather that those who commit suicide rather do it in dark places. Then again this could be completely off base.

I was thinking J walkers more than suicide. Many pedestrains think nothing of daring a 2 ton car to slow down as they amble across the street. I would think they would do the same with an LRT. In fact, I thought I recall a fatality in Calgary a few years ago.

cta2319b.jpg

kedzie3.jpg

By some, they would be considered "light rail" due to these crossings.

Interestingly enough, these lines operate almost identically to those in Edmonton, though that is considered an LRT. Even capacity is similar if I'm not mistaken. Edmonton's trains might be street legal, though there are no street running portions in their system.

EDIT: Also, fantastic pics! :)

cta2319b.jpg

kedzie3.jpg

Clever but kind of weak...

You know full well that non of the LRT line will have barriers at the intersections preventing traffic from interfering with them. Finch, Sheppard and Eglinton East will stop at red lights as well

Toronto actually has around 500 meters of freight track like that on lakeshore after the Gardiner ends.. rarely used though.

And I guess these are "streetcars", since these cars run on tracks in the middle of the street.

ZQghSOa.jpg

Even a weaker argument...

can you go weaker than that

For me a true LRT Rapid transit would be nothing less than this for

SRT-Eglinton Crosstown
[video=youtube;k90344T5de4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k90344T5de4[/video]

Back