News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 378     0 

dairy farm in Toronto in the 1990s

TOperson

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is a bit random, but I recall there being a working dairy farm in Toronto (Etobicoke) as recently as the 1990s. I believe the owners did not sell up until after 2000.

Does this ring any bells for anyone? Or is it just a weird false memory rattling around in my head?

This is a bit random, but I recall there being a working dairy farm in Toronto (Etobicoke) as recently as the 1990s. I believe the owners did not sell up until after 2000.

Does this ring any bells for anyone? Or is it just a weird false memory rattling around in my head?

I can't answer your question, but Google Earth allows you to view historic imagery. You might be able to find it there.

2000 seems a little late--though the subdivisions along Humberline and maybe north around the BAPS temple still may have been farmland into the 90s...

IIRC there was one on the south side of Steeles in Scarborough until recently. I've been all over Etobicoke in the past 15 years and can't think of any farms, or where they might be. Humberline is a quality guess. I think the BAPS area has been industrial park for a while, though, but maybe on the north side of Finch. I recall that the commercial development there is relatively recent.

IIRC there was one on the south side of Steeles in Scarborough until recently.
There's still farms on the south side of Steeles in Scarborough. Looks at the southeast corner of Steeles and Tapscott ... or near Sewells Road/Steeles, Reesor Road/Steeles, Beare Road/Steeles. If you visit Whitamore's Berry Farm on the north side of Steeles at Beare, you wouldn't believe your staring at the City of Toronto across the road.

In terms of Etobicoke ... what has all that vacant land east of Woodbine Racetrack (where part of Woodbine Live would have been) been for the last 20 years? Some of that land still looks farmable, though it looks unused now.

^I recall seeing corn rows (not quite as high as an elephant's eye, though) in the fields between Woodbine and 427 within the past decade.

I'm also wondering if there still may have been anything in the easily-mistaken-for-Etobicoke office-park zone around Matheson/Orbitor/Skymark, etc...

There's still farms on the south side of Steeles in Scarborough. Looks at the southeast corner of Steeles and Tapscott ... or near Sewells Road/Steeles, Reesor Road/Steeles, Beare Road/Steeles. If you visit Whitamore's Berry Farm on the north side of Steeles at Beare, you wouldn't believe your staring at the City of Toronto across the road.

Indeed there are. Used to cycle in the area and around 2004 there was still a farm (and two; going back further) at where the Walmart currently sits on. Right across the street was a golfing range which was much better than their current relocated facility south of Tapscott and Steeles.

Would be interesting to see how the rural stretch of Steeles between Tapscott and Staines changes over the coming years. Chances are since it's mostly Rouge Park and now it's a federal park, any change will be slow.

A farm operated on the east side of Bankfield Dr, in the hollow just north of the Albion Rd curve into the 1990's, I believe. I remember articles about it in the local community newspapers at the time as being the last farm in Etobicoke. I'm pretty sure it shut down around 15-20 years ago. Don't remember any mention of cows, though - just vegetables and such.

In the extreme northwest corner of Etobicoke, there is the community of Claireville. There are still houses there with residents (with Joroleman curbside/rural mailboxes even), despite being completely surrounded by factories and warehouses. There are no farms near there however.

A farm operated on the east side of Bankfield Dr, in the hollow just north of the Albion Rd curve into the 1990's, I believe. I remember articles about it in the local community newspapers at the time as being the last farm in Etobicoke. I'm pretty sure it shut down around 15-20 years ago. Don't remember any mention of cows, though - just vegetables and such.

AFAIK the "farm" is still there, or was in recent years, as an adjunct to said nursery/greenhouses, and still being plugged as last-in-Etobicoke, etc.

Back