News   Jul 31, 2024
 202     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 375     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 322     2 

Cyclists? Pedestrians? Drivers? Who is to Blame for Urban Tension?

M II A II R II K

Member Bio
Reaction score
Cyclists? Pedestrians? Drivers? Who is to Blame for Urban Tension?

Oct 4th, 2011

Lyndsey Scofield

header.png

Read More: http://thisbigcity.net/cyclists-pedestrians-drivers-blame-urban-tension/

There’s no way you can ignore the tension that exists between cyclists, pedestrians, and drivers on the road. And this is especially true in a city as dense as New York, with 8 million people sharing streets, sidewalks, subway platforms and parks. While I’m wholeheartedly an advocate of biking and walking over using cars (for too many reasons to list), I’m not comfortable ignoring the fact that many cyclists and pedestrians do exhibit some pretty bad behavior. While I’m sure the majority of them are doing the right thing and being mindful of those around them, it’s no small number who aren’t.

- But what I see as the problem is this tendency to pit mode against mode and jump to conclusions. Yes, there are plenty of cyclists whose habits and aggressive tendencies intimidate pedestrians, but that is not cause for calling for the removal of bike lanes or an excessive ticketing policy. Fact is, there are inconsiderate users of all modes of transportation.

- There will always be tensions, but what we need is some more serious discussion on how to deal with the tension that exists, and try to lessen it as much as possible. The answer to getting more people to walk and bike isn’t just about painting bike lanes and narrowing down streets, but it’s also about understanding and respecting everyone else on the road.

Pedestrians in the Wrong:

- Every time I walk down Prospect Park West in Brooklyn, I spot at least 5 pedestrians carelessly cross into the separated & painted bike path without looking to see if a cyclist is approaching.....

- Have you ever been on a bike or in a car, incredulously braking for a whole gaggle of pedestrians crossing in front of you when you have the green light? This is a bit of lemming behavior — individuals adopting a group identity instead of thinking for themselves. It usually starts with one or two people who spot a break in traffic and legitimately can get across the street without causing incident.....

Cyclists in the Wrong:

- But I have also nearly been run over by cyclists riding the wrong way down streets and running red lights. Every time I leave my apartment, I can guarantee you that I will encounter at least several cyclists totally ignoring street rules, regardless of whether the road is busy or not.

- .....I cannot tell you how many times I have heard them yelling angry obscenities to each other, to non-competitive cyclists, to pedestrians, and to drivers. They rarely stop for the red lights, even the popular ones where there is foot traffic waiting to cross. They also go much faster than the speed limit, which is intimidating and dangerous in an environment shared by children.

Drivers in the Wrong:

- .....In front of the Student Center was a marked zebra crosswalk, complete with an in-street “Yield to Pedestrians†sign. Still, the cars would not stop. If you weren’t bold enough to continue inching out into the road in front of them, you could easily watch 10, 20, 30 cars continue on their way without so much as a foot on the brake.

- Then of course there are the drivers who aggressively “yield†to pedestrians in the crosswalk. As in, they inch their 2-ton hunk of metal into the crosswalk until they successfully create enough of a barrier between groups of pedestrians to drive through. While this is annoying and intimidating, it is nothing compared to the very real fact that car collisions kill 46,000 people each year, and that when they involve cyclists and pedestrians, most of the time it’s the car driver at fault.

Transit Users in the Wrong:

- .....Clearly there are some inconsiderate folks sitting too close to us on the bus, playing music too loud on the subway, and jabbering away into their cell phones on the train. Ok, ok, most of the acts mentioned are mere annoyances and not a threat to our safety, but they do illustrate that maybe there is a bigger lesson we can learn here. Maybe that lesson is that we can all stand to be a little more considerate and thoughtful on our way from point A to point B, regardless of which mode we take.

[video=vimeo;24572222]http://vimeo.com/24572222[/video]

Bump two pedestrians and you get an apology and they move on. Bump two cyclists cyclists together and you get cursing and they move on. Bump two drivers together and you get exchange of information, a visit to the Collision Centre, an increase in your insurance rates, and maybe a court case.

Guess who to blame? The drivers because of the bigger problems they can cause.

I don't think there is a choice, just statements of fact; not following the law or common sense cannot be attributed to one or the other.

Guess who to blame? The drivers because of the bigger problems they can cause.

Anyone surprised at this judgement offered by an avowed cyclist/tram fanatic? Drivers are probably solely responsible for the common cold as well.

Anyone surprised at this judgement offered by an avowed cyclist/tram fanatic? Drivers are probably solely responsible for the common cold as well.
In this context, I don't know how you can conclude it's anything other than cars.

On a daily basis, I have to try and avoid cars breaking the law, and putting pedestrians in danger, simply while walking around the city. Yesterday alone some moron decided to pull up beside a loading streetcar, towing a trailer, and the only way to access the streetcar was to climb over between the truck and the trailer. A few minutes then a car almost took me out at a crosswalk because he didn't stop. The day before I spent 10-minutes stuck on a streetcar because a transport trailer had wedged itself in the Parliament/King intersection (what on earth an 18-wheeler is trying to drive down King I don't know). Occasionally a bicycle is a problem ... but on no where near the daily basis that I see car drivers putting pedestrians lives in danger.

Perhaps second on the list is smokers who are so utterly inconsiderate and rude that they think it's socially acceptable to be walking down a crowded sidewalk puffing smoke.

In this context, I don't know how you can conclude it's anything other than cars.

On a daily basis, I have to try and avoid cars breaking the law, and putting pedestrians in danger, simply while walking around the city. Yesterday alone some moron decided to pull up beside a loading streetcar, towing a trailer, and the only way to access the streetcar was to climb over between the truck and the trailer. A few minutes then a car almost took me out at a crosswalk because he didn't stop. The day before I spent 10-minutes stuck on a streetcar because a transport trailer had wedged itself in the Parliament/King intersection (what on earth an 18-wheeler is trying to drive down King I don't know). Occasionally a bicycle is a problem ... but on no where near the daily basis that I see car drivers putting pedestrians lives in danger.

Perhaps second on the list is smokers who are so utterly inconsiderate and rude that they think it's socially acceptable to be walking down a crowded sidewalk puffing smoke.

So you have never been walking downtown and seen a cyclist do anything wrong? Running through red lights and stop signs? Riding on the sidewalk? Cut into traffic without looking? Not staying within their lane?

Because I see this stuff everyday and have been nearly hit on more then one occasion. Anybody pretending that cyclists are blame-free is either ridiculously biased or downright oblivious.

So you have never been walking downtown and seen a cyclist do anything wrong? Running through red lights and stop signs? Riding on the sidewalk? Cut into traffic without looking? Not staying within their lane?

Because I see this stuff everyday and have been nearly hit on more then one occasion. Anybody pretending that cyclists are blame-free is either ridiculously biased or downright oblivious.

Agree 100%. Cyclists shouldn't feel they can blow through stop signs, red lights and active crosswalks simply because they aren't cars; ride on the road, obey the laws of the road.

So you have never been walking downtown and seen a cyclist do anything wrong?
I don't know how you draw that occasion. I often see cyclists doing things wrong. Rarely though do their actions put people in danger. Sure, it happens, but in terms of scary moments ... the cars are far ahead. I haven't looked at the data, but I bet more pedestrians are killed by cars in downtown Toronto in a year than by bicycles. And I bet more cyclists are killed by cars each year than other cyclists or pedestrians. Given the number of times I've criticised cyclists in the past, I don't know why you would say this.

Running through red lights and stop signs? Riding on the sidewalk? Cut into traffic without looking? Not staying within their lane?

Anybody pretending that cyclists are blame-free is either ridiculously biased or downright oblivious.
Anyone pretending that cyclists are more to blame for urban tension that drivers is ridiculously biased or downright oblivious.

I don't know how you draw that occasion. I often see cyclists doing things wrong. Rarely though do their actions put people in danger. Sure, it happens, but in terms of scary moments ... the cars are far ahead. I haven't looked at the data, but I bet more pedestrians are killed by cars in downtown Toronto in a year than by bicycles. And I bet more cyclists are killed by cars each year than other cyclists or pedestrians. Given the number of times I've criticised cyclists in the past, I don't know why you would say this.

I agree, the cars are far ahead, but that may have more to do with the fact they are bigger, more powerful, and faster than bikes.

Anyone pretending that cyclists are more to blame for urban tension that drivers is ridiculously biased or downright oblivious.

I don't believe that was the implication that I made. I implied that they shared the blame, contrary to the beliefs of some on this board.

I don't believe that was the implication that I made. I implied that they shared the blame, contrary to the beliefs of some on this board.
Everyone shares the blame ... from the cyclists who hurl abuse at pedestrians who are in their way on a sidewalk, to pedestrians jaywalking in front of moving vehicles, to car drivers who treat side streets like expressways and put the lives of pedestrians and cyclists in danger, frequently killing them.

However, if there is a party that is most to blame - it is clearly the cars.

A car driving into a bus shelter or a strip mail coffee shop, occasionally taking out a bystander, is so unremarkable that it won't stay on the CP24 ticker for more than a morning. But if the question is who is responsible for the tension, I'm going to blame the cops in this city, who don't enforce any laws. Except during their publicity seeking blitzes, the police are not vigilant enough to make a cyclist fear a ticket for riding through a red light or a driver (like our Mayor) fear a ticket for talking on a cellphone while driving. So the drivers will point to all the cyclists they regularly see breaking basic laws, perpetuating the argument that all cyclists are irresponsible and don't belong on the road.

Unenforced laws, for drivers: using cellphones, speed limits, turn signals, parking in bike lanes. For cyclists: blowing red lights, riding on the wrong side of the street, riding at night without lights, riding on sidewalks. Enforced laws, for cyclists: no bell, not coming to a full stop (foot down) at stop signs.

But if the question is who is responsible for the tension, I'm going to blame the cops in this city, who don't enforce any laws. Except during their publicity seeking blitzes, the police are not vigilant enough to make a cyclist fear a ticket for riding through a red light or a driver (like our Mayor) fear a ticket for talking on a cellphone while driving.

The cops are definitely out there, but their priorities are wrong. If my priority was ticket avoidance, I'd feel much more confident driving 65 km/hr on College Street than I would driving the same speed on Eglinton between Don Mills and Leslie. The result is that drivers slow down in corridors where a speed of 70 or even 80 km/hr would be completely safe, meanwhile they have no reservation driving above the speed limit on some downtown streets where anything faster than 40 km/hr can be unsafe.

My solution: get speed traps off of roads designed for 70 km/hr, and move them instead to the inner city where speeding kill almost every day!

Last edited:
Urban Tension as mentioned in the thread header like beauty is in the eye or experience of the beholder.

Cyclists riding on the sidewalk feel no tension, that is why they are on the sidewalk, but the pedestrians they are weaving through surely do feel tension.

Car drivers, I can only speak for myself here, feel tension at all times due to all the externalities over which they have no control. If they don't they obviously don't understand the situation and shouldn't be driving. I am pretty sure that I am not going to do something stupid with my 2 ton car that will threaten pedestrians or cyclists or other cars but I have zero confidence in the others with whom I am sharing the road. This lack of confidence is reinforced every time I get behind the wheel, how can a pedestrian be so spectacularly stupid as to step off the curb into traffic without taking a look left or right as they are seen to do do time after time every day.

Urban tension? The case against cars is compelling: they take up the most space on streets and move the least amount of people in that large about of space that they take up. So they're bound to create a lot of pressure and tension as they demand a lot more from a street than other users.

Stress would be caused by cars due to the potential damage they can cause, however cyclists are usually the greatest offenders of the law followed closely by cab drivers.

Back