News   Mar 28, 2024
 994     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 556     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 848     0 

Cycling: West Toronto Railpath (City of Toronto, Phase II Proposed)

Don’t know if this is new but just saw what looks like work on the Railpath south of Dundas West. Photo taken 2 April.View attachment 465966
I believe this is Metrolinx work for the Kitchener Line fourth track. So, a prerequisite for the railpath, but not actually the path itself.

I was out for a run and saw the path is completely closed from Bloor and didn't open again until the Go-Train section further north. You actually had to get off the path and use Perth Street for several blocks to get back on. The detour signs were pretty much non-existent as well. Definitely not helpful. I would have snapped pics but didn't have my phone. Does anyone know the reason for the closure? I am not an expert but this did not look like it would be a short closure (where you would see snow fencing) but rather a serious closure which may last a while, unfortunately.

Anyways, just bumping this in case people want to use this for biking or running.

I was out for a run and saw the path is completely closed from Bloor and didn't open again until the Go-Train section further north. You actually had to get off the path and use Perth Street for several blocks to get back on. The detour signs were pretty much non-existent as well. Definitely not helpful. I would have snapped pics but didn't have my phone. Does anyone know the reason for the closure? I am not an expert but this did not look like it would be a short closure (where you would see snow fencing) but rather a serious closure which may last a while, unfortunately.

Anyways, just bumping this in case people want to use this for biking or running.

It's been that way since November 2022, and I believe it was meant to last "approximately 1 year" in total (but who knows). It's super annoying, because it has essentially bifurcated the already too short Railpath into two segments - Railpath north of Bloor, and Railpath south of Bloor, since there is no reasonably safe place to cross once you get knocked off at the GO station to continue on the path. Crossing Bloor at Perth is a pickle for every type of transport, including cars making a left-hand turn onto Perth.

Kitchener Line fourth track, the post right before yours:
I believe this is Metrolinx work for the Kitchener Line fourth track. So, a prerequisite for the railpath, but not actually the path itself.

An additional piece is that they are adding a new station access building at Randolph. This is necessary since the fourth track will block all existing access points to the easternmost platform. Some details were shared back here:
I don't think this has been posted here yet. cc @Northern Light @crs1026

View attachment 422645

Sample image from one of the 37 supporting documents.

View attachment 422646

As for when the railpath reopens? Approximately one year from Jan 23, 2023. Source: https://assets.metrolinx.com/image/...n_2023_2023011_2_Dennis_Amoakohene_nsazxv.pdf

From last Friday:
PXL_20230609_162746611.jpg
PXL_20230609_162753682.jpg

Kitchener Line fourth track, the post right before yours:

An additional piece is that they are adding a new station access building at Randolph. This is necessary since the fourth track will block all existing access points to the easternmost platform. Some details were shared back here:

As for when the railpath reopens? Approximately one year from Jan 23, 2023. Source: https://assets.metrolinx.com/image/...n_2023_2023011_2_Dennis_Amoakohene_nsazxv.pdf
Will that include the extension?

Speaking of the detour, Metrolinx is putting up barriers on Bloor at Perth to force cyclists and pedestrians to cross at Symington. Council approved a traffic signal for Bloor and Perth last year, but I guess it won't be installed in time to be useful for this detour (or maybe Metrolinx isn't talking to the city?).

Screenshot 2023-06-16 at 16.57.46.png

Temporary concrete barriers will be installed on Bloor Street as early as the night of June 22 into the morning of June 23, to improve safety and address community concerns with jaywalking at the Perth Avenue intersection. Traffic restrictions will be in place until the Railpath realignment and tunnel work is complete.

Side note, I hate that Metrolinx refers to pedestrians crossing here as "jaywalking", which implies that they were doing something illegal. You can debate the safety of crossing at this location, but it is perfectly legal, being more than 30m from the nearest signalized intersection. "Jaywalking" is an offence that was invented by the car lobby and is essentially a propaganda term that belongs in the dustbin of history — but I digress!

I noticed today that the new connection to Perth Avenue is now open (a bit north of Henderson's Brewery). This is part of the new alignment of Sterling and Perth, and it makes the detour around the Bloor Steet closure a lot more comfortable for cyclists

Looking west from Perth Ave towards the Railpath IMG_1241 (1).jpg

Looking west from Sterling Ave towards the Railpath IMG_1239 (1).jpg

Looking east from Perth towards Sterling IMG_1237 (1).jpg

Back