News   Apr 18, 2024
 304     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Cycling: West Toronto Railpath (City of Toronto, Phase II Proposed)

Residents want a firm timeline for West Toronto Railpath extension

'Let's get this thing done': resident

News 06:00 AM by Veronica Appia

^This project is dependent on Metrolinx, who don’t give commitments about anything they are thinking of building.

Can’t see this project changing that.

- Paul

From a facebook post:

RAILPATH EXTENSION UPDATE!

There has been a lot of serious other stuff going on but we wanted to let you know that Railpath continues to move forward.

Completion of design and construction documents planned for early to mid-2020: the design is scheduled to be completed this June (except for ramp design to No Frills which will take end of summer to complete).

The City is progressing to obtain Metrolinx and private properties in 2020/2021 as planned.
Construction of Railpath Extension is still planned for late 2021 or early 2022. The City will work with Metrolinx on construction and other details after the design stage is completed.
Obviously the City will have financial challenges due to the Covid 19 crisis and we don't know how that will play out. But Councillor Bailao and Mayor Tory are strong supporters of Railpath and this extension will integrate with ActiveTO plans post covid 19. Keep telling them you want to see this done.
The City site has not been updated but the February 26 2020 public meeting boards are still here: https://www.toronto.ca/…/infrastructure-proje…/westrailpath/

Reading between the lines here... the city has had an uh... strained relationship with Metrolinx in the past. Metrolinx tend to drag their feet on any negotiations (e.g., East Don Trail bridges/tunnels), but in this case the city has some negotiating power because they own the land in the existing railpath corridor around Bloor GO that Metrolinx needs for their Kitchener corridor expansion project. Meanwhile, the city needs a strip of Metrolinx-owned land on the east side of the rail corridor south of Dundas for the railpath extension.

This motion is essentially telling staff, "go ahead and negotiate a land swap with Metrolinx, but if they won't play ball, don't let them have any of the city's land without coming back to council". Best case, city staff and Metrolinx come to a mutually acceptable agreement, Metrolinx gets the land they need for the corridor expansion in the north, and the city gets the land they need for the railpath extension in the south. Worst case, they can't come to an agreement and this comes back to council with details of the dispute and council gets a chance to vote on next steps.

Rail Path extension is in the capital budget:

1610727485621.png

Spending starts in 2022 and runs to 2024.

Total Budget: 51M

Rail Path extension is in the capital budget:

View attachment 294201

Spending starts in 2022 and runs to 2024.

Total Budget: 51M
Best news I've heard all day. Thank you!

I wonder whether this means that the city was unsuccessful in obtaining funding from higher levels of government, or if this is a base case that will be offset by whatever grants are received.

Best news I've heard all day. Thank you!

I wonder whether this means that the city was unsuccessful in obtaining funding from higher levels of government, or if this is a base case that will be offset by whatever grants are received.

No $$$ from anyone else at present: 12.75M from development charges, 38.25M debt-financed.

1610747847553.png

^What does debt financed mean? How does that mesh with the city not being allowed to take on debt? Or this fits under the 15% or whatever it is they are allowed?

^What does debt financed mean? How does that mesh with the city not being allowed to take on debt? Or this fits under the 15% or whatever it is they are allowed?

The City is not legally permitted to run an Operating Deficit.

However, it may borrow to finance capital projects.

The interest costs and principle repayment are then something the City funds annually.

The 15% ceiling you refer to is self-imposed by the City (not the province) and refers to the portion of the annual budget dedicated to servicing debt.

The City wants to keep that number at or below 15%.

Yes, this project (along with many others) is currently funded within that ceiling.

^Thanks! Does Toronto issue muni bonds? I could probably look this up, but I think you would give a much more informed answer than a casual Google search :)

Upcoming meeting:

Expansion/realignment Update LIVE April 27, 2021
Join Metrolinx for a town hall on Tuesday, April 27th from 6-7:30 p.m., where they will provide an update on the Kitchener 4th track project, including the West Toronto Railpath (WTRP) realignment as well as an update on the WTRP extension. We are expecting real dates about getting this project done.

^Thanks! Does Toronto issue muni bonds? I could probably look this up, but I think you would give a much more informed answer than a casual Google search :)
You'll be thoroughly underwhelmed by the yields available.

Back