News   Jul 31, 2024
 254     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 565     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 477     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Saw this on Reddit. Looks like they narrowed the bicycle lane and widened the right turn lane? And did an awful job of putting new lane markings in. Perhaps it's because the right turn lane was too narrow for the buses turning into Main Street station?

I wouldn't draw any conclusions at this point.

I would say, I don't think that looks like a finished markings plan at all.

Also, this section of Danforth will be getting some enhancements soon.........all going well.

I'm wondering what the break down of offenses is but I don't think you can publicly pull that from police data.

When I did my bike lane study on Bloor I found ~1 out of 10 cyclists will go the wrong direction in the bike lanes or just ride on the sidewalks. Looking at another groups results they had similar counts.
What was the design of your study? I believe it was observational. Were there repeats at different times? Did you also repeat the same time in different weeks?

I ask, because study design matters, and it affects what you can interpret. (Obviously, observational studies are all you can do for this). But I would be careful with your conclusions if it was only 1 or 2 times.

And yes, there are some cyclists that ignore rules. I don't like them because they give the vast majority of cyclists a bad reputation. For instance, I called 911 a couple of weeks back for a pedestrian that got hit when an e-bike food delivery guy ran a light at a T-intersection. (She was shaken, but ok I think)

What was the design of your study? I believe it was observational. Were there repeats at different times? Did you also repeat the same time in different weeks?

I ask, because study design matters, and it affects what you can interpret. (Obviously, observational studies are all you can do for this). But I would be careful with your conclusions if it was only 1 or 2 times.

And yes, there are some cyclists that ignore rules. I don't like them because they give the vast majority of cyclists a bad reputation. For instance, I called 911 a couple of weeks back for a pedestrian that got hit when an e-bike food delivery guy ran a light at a T-intersection. (She was shaken, but ok I think)
I'm doing my best to make it statistically significant, the city report wasn't amazing imo but I'm aiming for the same standard.

Reactions: PL1

Back