News   May 02, 2024
 745     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 214     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 289     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Thanks for the insights @Northern Light!

I was thinking along these lines, where the western terminus uses the existing trail (STC Trail you said?) and further west it's routed along the residential streets backing up onto the rail.

I'm sure the NIMBYism is strong in these neighbourhoods and including with rail line owners themselves.

1712084657746.png

Thanks for the insights @Northern Light!

You're welcome.

I was thinking along these lines, where the western terminus uses the existing trail (STC Trail you said?) and further west it's routed along the residential streets backing up onto the rail.

Possible, but you likely don't have room for a full blown cycle track or multi-use path on most of those streets, so it would just be a signed route, or at most a painted bike lane. There's also the matter of getting across major roads, its likely new traffic lights would be required. I haven't checked to see what is/isn't feasible in that regard.

I'm sure the NIMBYism is strong in these neighbourhoods and including with rail line owners themselves.

View attachment 553117

The sections from Markham to Guildwood I would prioritize, there's nothing technically challenging w/that bit, its just a political decision to do it.

West of Markham, going to Beachell is fairly easy, but your last bit would be very tight, and even if feasible, might make people feel trapped between the rail embankment base and the backyard fences. That's why I didn't include a segment west of Markham as high priority, because it would end in a sorta nowhere spot.

As noted, east of Guildwood, your line has 2 problematic sections, the homes on Portia and Dow Chemical.

I'm not saying those couldn't be addressed, but its more messy and there maybe expropriation and/or purchase of land/easements required.

There is a small section that already exists at the east end, but you have access it through Grey Abbey Trail. I ride it on a regular basis.

It's a short path, a somewhat hidden part of Grey Abbey Park, that runs right beside the tracks.

Useful for me, as I'm riding from Cliffcrest, all south of Kingston Rd, through the Guild to get to the Highland Creek / Waterfront Trails, but not so helpful for cyclists riding from the Eglinton / Bellamy start point of the proposed East Rail Trail route.

I'm all for promoting this rail corridor initiative + the Danforth Kingston Complete Street + the West Scarborough Railpath + the SRT right of way.

I'm using @Northern Light's quote here again..."nothing wrong w/thinking big thoughts, they would never get done if someone didn't!" :)

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 3.16.34 PM.png

It's a short path, a somewhat hidden part of Grey Abbey Park, that runs right beside the tracks.
A path is an understatement. Just make sure to wash your bike after this one as it can get a bit mucky.

I ride it anytime I take the waterfront trail, and it's also recommended route when I navigate...on a mbt of course :)

Still not as bad as the trails immediately west off Brimley...

There is a small section that already exists at the east end, but you have access it through Grey Abbey Trail. I ride it on a regular basis.

Useful for me, as I'm riding from Cliffcrest, all south of Kingston Rd, through the Guild to get to the Highland Creek / Waterfront Trails, but not so helpful for cyclists riding from the Eglinton / Bellamy start point of the proposed East Rail Trail route.

I'm all for promoting this rail corridor initiative + the Danforth Kingston Complete Street + the West Scarborough Railpath + the SRT right of way.

I'm using @Northern Light's quote here again..."nothing wrong w/thinking big thoughts, they would never get done if someone didn't!" :)

View attachment 553136

Aw yes, I walked this years ago, when the City considered paving this and the trail down through to Grey Abbey Park.

Again, the neighbours through up a royal fit and killed the project.

A path is an understatement. Just make sure to wash your bike after this one as it can get a bit mucky.

I ride it anytime I take the waterfront trail, and it's also recommended route when I navigate...on a mbt of course :)

Yup..we ride mountain bikes too. The City cleaned it up a bit last summer and put wood chips on the path

Definitely not recommended for those riding Tour de France bikes with those skinny 90psi tires. :)

DSC05543-2.jpg

I always laugh when I ride past this sign at the park end of the path.

DSC05536.jpeg

The TRCA is set to spend ~1M replacing the stairs into the Don Valley from Don Mills Road, east side, south of Overlea.

The project is identified as improving accessibility which would lead me to think they will be converted to a ramp, but the report on the tender is entirely non-specific.

1712243536234.png

Report:

The TRCA is set to spend ~1M replacing the stairs into the Don Valley from Don Mills Road, east side, south of Overlea.

The project is identified as improving accessibility which would lead me to think they will be converted to a ramp, but the report on the tender is entirely non-specific.
I was surprised the stairs weren't removed when they did the path above the stairs a few years back

I was surprised the stairs weren't removed when they did the path above the stairs a few years back

It would have been more cost-efficient to do everything here at once, I suspect, but don't know, that this was a case of scoping the project to fit the available budget at the time.

But this is an example of actually spending more money to achieve the same thing, by breaking up projects that are interrelated and relatively small.

We've seen a lot of this at Allan Gardens where the DOLA gets done one year, the playground another, washrooms another, and Palm House Restoration another still.

Add those accretive numbers together and there is no way you wouldn't save 10% tendering them at one time, as a single project, and I could envision savings as high as 25% Which would be 7-figures.

Instead of budgeting to do something for every ward and councillor each year and in the process getting less done, we should try to equitably distribute funds but over a 5-year time horizon. Fewer projects at one time, done better, all at once.

Last edited:
Lets start w/some good stuff.

The City is looking a 2 different projects (plus the intersection of same) to improve cycling access to Centennial Park.

From the above:

View attachment 550292

And

View attachment 550293

And

View attachment 550294

View attachment 550295

There will be a survey, but its not up yet.

The survey for the Centennial Improvements is now online and closes April 23.

Back