News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 959     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 361     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Works in NYC just fine and, most importantly, keeps drivers out. Need this here badly.

View attachment 508056View attachment 508057

Seen in Nice today. 😀

DSC06390.jpeg

DSC06387.jpeg

DSC06379.jpeg

DSC06380.jpeg

Why didn’t the city include separated bike lanes on St. Clair when they installed the streetcar ROW? I drive St. Clair a few times a month and often see cyclists dangerously squeezing alongside both lanes of traffic. The fix seems easy enough, get rid of the onstreet parking along the ROW route so it’s one lane for bikes, one for cars and one for streetcars. Was this considered and rejected during the ROW design phase?

As far as I recall from the meetings I went to, it's because it was a TTC driven project (not city planning) and they were already fighting very heavy opposition, both by part of the public, councillors, and even their own management. Too much proposed change was likely to get the project cancelled entirely.

TTC didn't want to continue mixed traffic streetcars. The other option being seriously considered before Miller was elected was demolition of the tracks and mixed-traffic bus service.

Soooo

Quietly, the City has unveiled the consultation process for the short-term overhaul of Avenue Road.

I told everyone change was coming..........and, here it is:

I'll offer a few slides below; but first, in summary, this report was looking at changes that could be made now without road reconstruction, specifically not moving the curbs and gutters.

The report offers the following key bits:

Cycle Tracks from Bloor to Davenport.

This is achieved by trimming one travel lane in each direction, generally (though there were already 2 NB lanes, rather than 3 south of Yorkville.

North of Davenport there is further narrowing but the space is turned over to either pedestrians or parking, and/or a median/centre turning lane. With a short stretch approaching St. Clair remaining six lanes.

1697218306842.png

1697218414613.png

1697218445375.png

1697218555401.png

1697218620517.png

1697218654339.png

1697218689827.png

1697218729694.png

Note that for most of this there is currently limited funding, but it can be found if prioritized.

However, the the longer term (road reconstruction) is entirely unfunded.

Longer Term scenarios below:

1697218832348.png

1697218887191.png

Once you've read everything, there's a survey here (open til November 2nd)

We need to get rid on on-street non-residential parking entirely across the city. Especially since so much of our store frontage is now SDM, banks or foreign-owned big brand fast food. So much of our planning is dependent on keeping these folks happy.

I filled out the survey and suggested dropping more of the parking, and the highest quality cycle track separation plausible given that its temporary infra.

But I also suggested that while reconstructing all of Avenue Road may not be on right now, considering doing the sidewalks on one or two blocks where high quality widenings would make a real difference (ie. west side, south of Davenport) that should be given consideration.

On a side note.......the proposed reduction in Avenue Road vehicle volumes is an essential prerequisite for University Park...........

Coincidentally, I saw this there last month - the separation by trees and plants would probably work better there than here as they VERY rarely see snow but ..... Enjoy, it's a surprisingly pretty and fun city!
Nice was my favourite part of France!

I don't know when this happened but those bike lights are facing the wrong direction now. I was confused by these earlier.

Also saw a Domino's driver driving in the new Adelaide bike lane. I don't know how these people get there license.

1000017424.jpg

Coincidentally, I saw this there last month - the separation by trees and plants would probably work better there than here as they VERY rarely see snow but ..... Enjoy, it's a surprisingly pretty and fun city!
Nice is doing an excellent job of building cycling infrastructure. The photos are of Rue de la Buffa. The cycle track is new (Google street view from March shows it being constructed). Understood the weather is definitely warmer in Nice and the tree planted separation may not be quite the same for the possible future cycle track along the Kingston Road motel strip in my neighbourhood. 😀

Another view of the Rue de la Buffa cycle track. I haven't seen it blocked by any vehicles. Notice the small truck parked on the right side.

DSC06320.jpeg

With the risk of belabouring the forum with cycling infrastructure in this part of France, here is Quai Rauba Capeu.
DSC05939.jpeg

It's not all great though. We stay in Villefranche-sur-Mer and walk into Nice several times a week. One of the routes we take is along Blvd Princess Grace de Monaco. Northbound cyclists ride a cycle lane adjacent to a pedestrian lane. Southbound cyclists ride in traffic. There is no shoulder along the cliff. Southbound is downhill. Cyclists and traffic move very fast. Buses will tailgate cyclists within a couple of metres. 😳

DSC05933.jpeg

Last edited:
Also saw a Domino's driver driving in the new Adelaide bike lane. I don't know how these people get there license.
It‘s Murphy’s Law, if you make it easy to do the wrong thing, it will be done wrongly. The Adelaide bike lane should have bollards in the middle wherever the lane intersects with north/south traffic.

West-side-bike-path-bollards-420x420.jpg

Last edited:
Lots more consultations coming this fall. Stay tuned.

Regrettably, Danforth-Kingston is delayed with the Council seat vacant. Consultation, hopefully, in the new year, maybe implementation next summer, IF the new councillor is supportive.

I have no idea how politics work, but if the elected councillor is opposed, does it mean there will be no bike lanes even if they were approved before the election?

I have no idea how politics work, but if the elected councillor is opposed, does it mean there will be no bike lanes even if they were approved before the election?

The final implementation of this project has not been approved.

So the new Councillor has every ability to affect the result here.

Except there isn't one yet, so the impact is delay.

Staff are hoping to send this to consultation very early '24; and if the Councillor is good w/it, it could go forward next year, but the timing will be tight.

Biked all over the city the other day and want to share some of my thoughts.

Adelaide St West - as you remember the bike lane was on the south side of the road, not protected, terrible asphalt quality and not safe to ride. Now they resurfaced the road, moved the bike lane to the north side, installed barriers which makes it impossible for cars to park and what's even more exciting is separate traffic lights for cyclists on every intersection. All cars turning left have their own traffic light, so biking on Adelaide is super safe, no cars parked, not even turning when it's green for cyclists, This is great! Recorded some videos of Adelaide here and here. Downtown core is still messed up, but when completed Adelaide will be very nice to bike all throughout the city.

Wellington St West - love the bike lanes, wide and safe. But I don't like Spadina crossing, have to merge with pedestrians and it's very busy sometimes, not great. Also lack of connection to downtown core, but it looks like they'll extend the bike lanes to Simcoe St in 2025, but I hope they can do it all the way to St. Lawrence market. Some videos here and here.

Esplanade - the city did a god job, no complains. But I wish some of the bike lanes could have a greed separation from the road with trees and some plants. Can't wait when the extend it more to the East to Yonge. But then we have to wait for a good cycling infrastructure on Yonge.... oh well. Some videos are here and here.

Dundas St East - very wide bike lane, literally same wide as car lane which is great. But we need a better separation from cars, concrete blocks like on Adelaide/Richmond would be better. Trees and plants would be even better. Video is here.

Can't wait to see the improvements on College St (mid November) and Bloor St West between Avenue road and Spadina (spring/summer 2024). Also it's great to see that quiet streets are not forgotten. Gladstone is under construction right now now, Parliament street and Sumach St is done, it looks like Portland street will get bike lanes too.

I'm biking all the time in Toronto since 2016 and I can tell that in the last 2 years I've seen more improvements than in 2016-2021. It's still a long way to go, even compare to Montreal, but the city is on the right track.

Last edited:
Wellington St West - love the bike lanes, wide and safe. But I don't like Spadina crossing, have to merge with pedestrians and it's very busy sometimes, not great. Also lack of connection to downtown core, but it looks like they'll extend the bike lanes to Simcoe St, but I hope they can do it all the way to St. Lawrence market. Some videos here and here.

The eastward extension is planned, in the near term. You'll be hearing more about that soon.

Dundas St East - very wide bike lane, literally same wide as car lane which is great. But we need a better separation from cars, concrete blocks like on Adelaide/Richmond would be better. Trees and plants would be even better. Video is here.

There are some modest improvements of that type in process near Coxwell now.

More will follow but likely a bit piecemeal as opportunity strikes over the next couple of years.

I'm biking all the time in Toronto since 2016 and I can tell that in the last 2 years I've seen more improvements than in 2016-2021. It's still a long way to go, even compare to Montreal, but the city is on the right track.

Staff will be very happy to read that. Be sure and send a nice email either directly to them or to the Mayor. Everyone likes a bit of recognition now and again.

Consultations will start to appear in the next week or two on the City's website for several projects......... I will report as they come forward.

Last edited:
Staff will be very happy to read that. Be sure and send a nice email either directly to them to the Mayor. Everyone likes a bit of recognition now and again.
I certainly will.
Consultations will start to appear in the next week or two on the City's website for several projects......... I will report as they come forward.
That's great, thank you in advance.

Back