News   Jun 05, 2024
 125     0 
News   Jun 05, 2024
 407     1 
News   Jun 04, 2024
 1.7K     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

I feel like someone has to make a spider map of Toronto’s cycle track/multi-use-trail network to highlight how disconnected it is.

Yeah, the fact that the City includes all of unprotected bike lanes, sharrows, and "suggested on-street routes" in its cycling map makes the notion of the extant network super misleading. It is actually a huge problem. I know for a fact that the mayor and some councillors consider the map below to be "the cycling network", which is of course a problematically dramatic overstatement of the extent and connectivity of the network.

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 11.22.18 AM.png

Here's the map showing all permanent protected bike lanes and multi-use trails, which is of course the only version that even comes close to satisfying basic "all ages and abilities" criteria. It's really a rather pitiful map, still (it'll look a little less so if most or all of the ActiveTO lanes are made permanent at some point).

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 11.27.23 AM.png

New to Urban Toronto - I'm a local cartographer.... Yes, frustrated with lack of connectivity with the network, I created this map that shows level of protection (by thickness) with a conceptual subway map type line coding... sort of a blueprint for moving forward - filling in the logical gaps. Not complete as so much has been added recently. cheers

Toronto Bike Map 2020.jpg

New to Urban Toronto - I'm a local cartographer.... Yes, frustrated with lack of connectivity with the network, I created this map that shows level of protection (by thickness)
This is incredible - I love the stylized look! How did you create this? It feels clearer than other maps I’ve seen of Toronto’s bike network.

Aside from mechanics, a couple of thoughts:

* What are “Major Connection Points”?
* In my (very personal) opinion, purely signed routes should not be included.

EDIT: I totally misunderstood something. The “Major connection” refers to the oval intersection between two routes. Scratch that question. Does that imply a bike-protected intersection? Or just two routes intersecting?

This is incredible - I love the stylized look! How did you create this? It feels clearer than other maps I’ve seen of Toronto’s bike network.

Aside from mechanics, a couple of thoughts:

* What are “Major Connection Points”?
* In my (very personal) opinion, purely signed routes should not be included.

EDIT: I totally misunderstood something. The “Major connection” refers to the oval intersection between two routes. Scratch that question. Does that imply a bike-protected intersection? Or just two routes intersecting?
Hey, Thanks! I used to make actual transit maps, so this is my trusted template - glad you like the look....
Yeah, the major connections are just the connection between 2 numbered lines - it doesn't necessarily indicate protected (but wouldn't that be great?) - Do we actually have any in Toronto?
The signed routes are for context and i've attempted to "minimize" their prominence

Thanks for the feedback - a work in progress

New to Urban Toronto - I'm a local cartographer.... Yes, frustrated with lack of connectivity with the network, I created this map that shows level of protection (by thickness) with a conceptual subway map type line coding... sort of a blueprint for moving forward - filling in the logical gaps. Not complete as so much has been added recently. cheers

View attachment 279736
This is a masterpiece, probably the best-stylized bike map I've seen. Do you have a higher quality version or pdf? Some of the smaller text is a bit hard to read.

Aww, Thanks! much appreciated
Here is a better one...

View attachment 279786
This is really nice.

A couple of things I love about this map --
1 - the focus on connectivity and routes usable for longer trips, something that the official maps don't help with
2 - the specially marked dangerous connections, as distinct from signed routes on quiet streets -- that's an essential distinction that I haven't seen on any other maps

Some ideas / updates:
- There is a pretty safe/usable route from Brock all the way to Strachan via Florence / Dufferin / Waterloo / Argyle / Shaw / Lobb and then through Bellwoods -- I think that could be considered a sort of western extension of the orange line in lieu of the railpath extension
- The Dundas East bridge over the Don has an ActiveTO separated bike lane
- The gap in the Waterfront Trail along Unwin has been connected

Welcome to UT, @andrewmaps; and thank you for that excellent contribution!

PS, do you mind it I share it with a few people?

I think there are a couple of City Councillors, among others, who would really appreciate it!

Welcome to UT, @andrewmaps; and thank you for that excellent contribution!

I think there are a couple of City Councillors, among others, who would really appreciate it!
Sure thing - This sort of thing I imagine could go in tandem with aggressive road markings to help people navigate their desired "line". By all means share away! I would love to take this further... I did one for Guelph too - would love to do more.

Send it to Stephen Holyday and his ilk. Maybe he will be less hostile to cycling infrastructure when its disguised as an expansion of the subway system!

Very cool map, andrewmaps! I was wishing for something in this format, and it's amazing to see it become real.

I do think it undersells the Cosburn, Jones, and Greenwood bike lanes. Cosburn is a nice spine, while Jones and Greenwood connect to the Dundas and now Danforth spines.

Back