News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 860     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

What drama has exploded over the Woodbine lanes.

So while it is easy to jeer at a small group of very loud NIMBYs making a ruckus on something, I think it has become apparent that this time around, it is not just a small group of very loud NIMBYs. The petition to remove them has already gathered near 2,000 signatures. It very may well be the case here that the community is actually against these cycling lanes or their implementation. For posterity, there is now a counter-petition that has 500 votes.

The Danforth and Woodbine Facebook group admins got so tired of dealing with the discussion, they even resorted to making a new group just to discuss the bike lanes.

Anyway, since this has caused such a ruckus, do we have pictures of the new lanes? Are there legitimate question-marks as to the implementation of the lanes?

I've read elsewhere that it's the Scarborough commuters who have jumped onto the petition skewing local neighbourhood numbers. Reading some of the comments in the petition are clearly anti-cyclist rather than anti-bike-lane.

The petition has also gained a lot of traction because Warren Kinsella, who has a very large Twitter following, has been promoting it.

Here is a picture I took of the Woodbine bike lanes under construction near a fire station just north of Mortimer. A formerly 4 lane road has been narrowed to 2 lanes.

Attachments

• 20170820_220646.jpg
    20170820_220646.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 253
The petition has also gained a lot of traction because Warren Kinsella, who has a very large Twitter following, has been promoting it.
Kinsella? I'm surprised, I would though he would been opposed; but he's a Sun columnist now.

As far as I know Coxwell is closed at Queen for construction. I doubt bike lanes would have that much impact compared to trying to carry all the Coxwell traffic! Kingston Road should be messy too, I'd think.

Oh wait, Queen East is closed too ... LOL.

Somebody's projecting a little, I think.

(and I also think you're taking a rendering a little too literally)
"projecting"? I suggest you take a neutral and objective look at cyclists' behaviour in Toronto during rush hour. Listen, I've lived in three nations cycling, and visited many more in Europe by bike, and still in phenomenal shape, did close to 100 km today, and some of the worst cycling I've seen in any developed nation occurs in Toronto. And it's getting worse, as is the driving. And I used to be a professional driver in this nation years back. Seen it all.

Rather than argue with you (and I can predict other cyclist's behaviour over 90% of the time just by watching two minutes of them cycling)(ditto for motorists, it's necessary to survive on the roads) what that design needs to *marshall* movement is an actual lane cut into the sidewalk, with a curb, so as to prevent cyclists stacked up at that point from breaking from a steady and predictable stream across Bathurst when lights change in their favour, and retain an orderly and safe progression along Richmond. It's also necessitated by the HTA since the bikes would be in a *physically separate lane of their own*, not a painted section of a roadway that would constitute illegally stopping/parking or blocking of an intersection. If the City was really serious about safety, those bikes, just like vehicles get at many intersections when turning, should get an advanced signal to allow the turning bike traffic to clear the intersection before any other traffic, including in that section, pedestrians, is allowed to cross or enter the intersection. It still won't stop moron idiots from running through reds though. I suggest a shotgun for that.

The controlled stream is how the Dutch, Danes, and many other advanced nations do it. But not in Toronto. The concept eludes them. Not to mention the massive number of moron cyclists in this city that need to be shepherded. Don't get me started, I've had my share of idiots on bikes today. And Richmond during evening rush hour has to have the highest number I've ever witnessed anywhere. And my cycling partner, who thought I'd been overstating the nature of Toronto cyclists, completely agreed.

Just thank God they're not driving...

As for your "HTA" argument, do you really think people designed this who aren't aware of the HTA?
Ffffing right I do. As per your claim, then Planning has it all right on the Scarborough Subway Extension and all other planning too.

And you are obviously unaware of the *multitudes* of not only non-conforming absurdities being done for cycle lanes, but also the *incredible danger* it puts cyclists in.

And the Bloor Lanes are a blatant example. I've had discussions with cops and parking control on it, and the police and other enforcement are flummoxed on it to the point of not even raising the issues with Roads anymore.

Examples? I suggest you examine the the turning across a marked lane without first legally attaining a lane clause (section actually) in the HTA. Bloor makes that impossible in many instances, such that motorists are not given the required two car length of broken solid white lines to allow attaining the cycling lane before turning *from it*...not across it.

Don't get me started. Do some reading, it's all been detailed in prior posts. There are *MANY* idiotic non-compliant instances of how the bike lanes are 'painted on' in this town.

Not that many motorists or cyclists notice it seems. Which makes a point about Toronto.

Last edited:
Except for the fact that people do come downtown for House of Lords. I actually don't know anyone downtown who uses House of Lords. Just assumed it was always people from the burbs thinking it was cool and making the trip there.

When you have a favourite hair dresser, you travel to get to them. I was commuting to Mississauga for hair cuts from downtown until my hair dresser retired. My newest one has people coming in from all over the city to see him.

Convenience stores on the other hand, are never destinations.
The irony of this is that the House of Louds (sic) is closing shop.
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...ords-hair-salon-on-yonge-st-set-to-close.html

Mullets don't work when you don't have any hair left. Chinatown is by far the best deal for haircuts. Most are $8 for "Man Haircut". Some are excellent value, some not. Buyer beware.

Last edited:
Yup, and most of the protected on-road items in the 10-year plan involve non-downtown routes, too.
Yeah...there's a much bigger story to this than just a poorly chosen and implemented bike lane on Woodbine, a street to avoid even with bike lines. It's yet more obfuscation and poor planning to divert from the real issue: Bike lanes in the core. And how pathetic and dangerous most of them are (with a few rare exceptions, that they just don't seem to learn from).

So what do they do in deference to putting them and *building them properly* in the core? Places where the demand is minimal if not completely inappropriate so as to cause a backlash that washes over all lanes.

This couldn't be planned any better to knock the basis out from under existing lanes proving their worth in numbers and usage downtown. This is already a wedge issue, and this makes it even worse.

Btw folks, many drivers from down the Beaches don't take Woodbine to get downtown. Think about it...

"projecting"? I suggest you take a neutral and objective look at cyclists' behaviour in Toronto during rush hour. Listen, I've lived in three nations cycling, and visited many more in Europe by bike, and still in phenomenal shape, did close to 100 km today, and some of the worst cycling I've seen in any developed nation occurs in Toronto. And it's getting worse, as is the driving. And I used to be a professional driver in this nation years back. Seen it all.
Probably like the 100th time you've used this same line on Urban Toronto.

Probably like the 100th time you've used this same line on Urban Toronto.
Hey, sorry to make you feel inadequate. The point is that I'm a seasoned and experienced cyclist, and haven't had a major accident in about two decades. And I know good cycling infrastructure, having cycled extensively in nations that are far ahead of Canada, especially Toronto.

What got you upset? The comments about running red lights and the increasing number of idiot cyclists on Toronto roads?

Feel absolutely free to add anything to do with what it will take to make cycling safe and more rational in this city.

Let me make it easier for you:
upload_2017-9-21_0-39-48.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-21_0-39-48.png
    upload_2017-9-21_0-39-48.png
    98.4 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
What got you upset? The comments about running red lights and the increasing number of idiot cyclists on Toronto roads?
Your constant "I'm better than you" attitude in this forum. Showed it again with your "sorry to make you feel inadequate" comment, when you know nothing about me. I did a Toronto-Niagara ride a couple of weeks ago, and am planning a round-trip Toronto-Oshawa ride this weekend, so I definitely don't feel inadequate.

Kind of tired of reading the same posts from you over and over and over though.

Your constant "I'm better than you" attitude in this forum. Showed it again with your "sorry to make you feel inadequate" comment, when you know nothing about me. I did a Toronto-Niagara ride a couple of weeks ago, and am planning a round-trip Toronto-Oshawa ride this weekend, so I definitely don't feel inadequate.

Kind of tired of reading the same posts from you over and over and over though.
Well then Mr Sensitive, study the picture, and add some input:

upload_2017-9-21_0-39-48-png.121739

What will make cyclists stay in a rational stream when stacked up in the green space? Note the feeding lane opposing? It's north bound, and has a curb to channel cyclists to a very limited aperture to cross east to Richmond. How are the two flows, one from the south, the other from the north, going to meet and flow safely and controlled across that intersection without problems?

Note also an oncoming cyclist north to the intersection with a light in his favour to progress eastward across Bathurst. But there's the red-light runner headed south across his right of way.

Safe?

Over to you...

Not going to bother, when you're constantly making condescending comments like this.
Hey, the invitation is open to you to address the points.

Note another aspect depicted. Red light runner *doesn't have a cycle lane at that point!*. They're sharrows. But you and others can find nothing wrong with that layout? It guarantees conflicts and accidents as detailed, rather than addressing the real need to flow and control that intersection.

Last edited:

Back