News   Jul 04, 2024
 388     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 490     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 546     1 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Toronto doesn't have a good solution due to the nature of our road system. We need some streets to allow for fast movement around the city and others should allow for fast bike travel across the city. Due to where our bike lanes are setup, we should have some of the other streets like Dundas West optimized for car travel. One weekend, I was driving on Queen street, all the parking was removed and most importantly, the TPA was driving along the parked lanes removing all the cars. That should be how it is for every rush hours (and always in certain spots like around Eaton Centre). I also think that Toronto got a bit ahead of itself putting bike lanes west of Jane on Bloor. The many condos will come with no car parking and tons of bike parking, but right now that's 7-10 years away.
The trouble is that we are driving development onto all the potential car priority roads. So Toronto's plan is to have zero car priority roads (leaving aside highways), or to force tens of thousands of people to live in condos on busy car priority roads. It's kind of insane, to my mind.

Back