News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 899     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 355     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

I went for a long downtown cycle today. Can we stop with the “on your left“ shout outs? Use your bell to alert your fellow cyclists and pedestrians that your approaching.
Surely, the point is to warn the other cyclist or pedestrian and sometimes a bell is not specific enough. I use both depending on my interpretation of the situation. The main thing is not to run into someone!

Last edited:
I prefer the verbal warning.
Others might prefer a violin.

904081178e3a7ed1968ffcb513872439.jpg

But our preferences are not the law. Just follow the rules and ring that bell.

Others might prefer a violin.

904081178e3a7ed1968ffcb513872439.jpg

But our preferences are not the law. Just follow the rules and ring that bell.
You do seem rather set on this but, though I agree bells are good (and required) sometimes a shout is far better and more informative. Time to move on - ringing your bell or shouting as appropriate.

Calling out 'on your left' in that case is a clear direction to stay where you are, so you can be passed.

I get where that may seem self-evident. just with a bell.

But some people hear a bell and think its a 'get out of the way'; when in fact the cyclist is already willing and able to go around, they just want predictable movement.
As a cyclist who uses MUPs a lot, I find people get flustered if you bark "on your left". Let's be realistic. Some people have hearing impairments, are listening to music, aren't fluent in English, etc. I ring my bell sometimes when I am quite a way back just to give a subtle indication I'm about to pass, but any hint of erratic behaviour or congestion on the path and I will slow down to pass. If kids are involved I usually slow to a crawl as they are completely erratic.

Bells are obnoxious. I prefer the verbal warning.
I have a bell that I can modulate pretty well to give a subtle ring for pedestrians or loud enough for oblivious car drivers. I find the subtle ring helps avoid people scrambling out of the way, which isn't what you want.

I think we should all concede to The Admiral's Preference here........but clearly, we need to be a bit more creative that the typical bell. ;)

How about we put these on every bike:

Part of the problem is people don't have HTA compliant bikes.

I wish there was just a law on the books that bike shops have to sell bikes with bells, lights and reflectors already installed if they sell you an assembled bike. Sure some sketchy operations probably won't comply, and the cheap lights some might put on won't be great, but it would probably help public awareness that these things are required and IMO increase compliance.

The southern section of the Lower Don recreational Trail (from Cherry to Parliament on the north side of Lake Shore) appears to have been 'decommissioned' by PF&R. It was fenced off yesterday. Not quite sure why or on what authority but it's too bad. I have asked for more info and will report back if I get any.

Lower Don Trail.jpg

Part of the problem is people don't have HTA compliant bikes.

I wish there was just a law on the books that bike shops have to sell bikes with bells, lights and reflectors already installed if they sell you an assembled bike. Sure some sketchy operations probably won't comply, and the cheap lights some might put on won't be great, but it would probably help public awareness that these things are required and IMO increase compliance.
This has always struck me as a stupid situation. Car dealerships can't sell you a car without a horn or lights, so why are bike shops allowed to?

In the Netherlands all bikes must come with a bell and lights.

This has always struck me as a stupid situation. Car dealerships can't sell you a car without a horn or lights, so why are bike shops allowed to?

In the Netherlands all bikes must come with a bell and lights.
But they can sell you a car with illegal tinted glass and illegally obscured license plate covers. It's up to the buyer to ensure compliance with the law.

I agree w/the bell, but I think, depending on the scenario, the 'on your left' makes some sense.

I regularly walk in the valleys, along the multi-use trails. Walkers in particular, but sometimes cyclists too don't stick to the right, they wander to the middle or even left of the trail.

I can see where a cyclist approaching from behind, at speed, wants to make sure than the warning doesn't send the person in front to the left, and into their path.

Calling out 'on your left' in that case is a clear direction to stay where you are, so you can be passed.

I get where that may seem self-evident. just with a bell.

But some people hear a bell and think its a 'get out of the way'; when in fact the cyclist is already willing and able to go around, they just want predictable movement.

Some people are not keen followers of pedestrian/cyclist etiquette.

Does it make the same sense in a uni-directional bike lane, where both riders appear to be experienced? Probably not.
I agree. I've noticed a fair number of people clearing the centre when they hear a bell as opposed to moving left. I find bells jarring too. They sound like "Move outta my way!" rather than "I'm passing you, eh?"

Back