News   Jul 17, 2024
 575     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 647     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

FWIW, my friend who worked with the mounted unit explained that the horses are regularly used as a crowd control measure in the Entertainment District; nothing disperses a fight and surrounding mob quite like a horse relieving itself outside the club.

West end is way crazier too. Last summer I would see 20+ bikes lining up at Bathurst on Richmond in the evening rush.

I was at King and Shaw this afternoon when a whole line-up of cyclists (at least 10) went by when the light turned green. And there aren't even any lanes there.

IMG_20150922_172910.jpg
West end is way crazier too. Last summer I would see 20+ bikes lining up at Bathurst on Richmond in the evening rush.

I took this in Sep 2015. Richmond west of Spadina

Attachments

• IMG_20150922_172910.jpg
    IMG_20150922_172910.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 688
Be careful what you wish for.

Worst bike lane in NYC?

Apparently, the NYPD has been known to hand out tickets to cyclists who ride their bicycles outside of bike lanes. Guess its easier than handling them to the motorists.

Be careful what you wish for.

Worst bike lane in NYC?

Apparently, the NYPD has been known to hand out tickets to cyclists who ride their bicycles outside of bike lanes. Guess its easier than handling them to the motorists.
The short bike lane on Bay St. between College and Dundas is just like this. It's actually worse than having no bike lane since you constantly have to weave in and out of it to get around all the parked cars ignoring the law.

View attachment 76056

I see this on College rather frequently in good weather. Routinely more bikes than cars at certain times of good weather weekdays!

All the cars and bikes going slowly make this a more pleasant route than most. College needs a full protected cycle track, but the streetcar and parking makes laneshifts a costly nonstarter. Maybe in 20 years in a street redo that possibly upgrades College transit speed/cycle infra.

View attachment 76056

This is great to see, but what surprises me is that it appears no bikers are looking to jump ahead of other bikers, at least not recklessly. For years the College bike lane has been packed at rush hour, and bikers then start doubling up in bike lanes, recklessley passing, and 'crunching up' in the bike lane at stop lights. It turns into a bloody mess. So maybe we're learning how to use this infrastructure better now?

When the Richmond/Adelaide lanes were first put in they did seem a bit "overly wide" since they converted an entire lane (it is great that they did!). I think the original plan was to eventually convert them into two way facilities. I'm glad however that they have remained as is, since it is easy and safe to pass slower cyclists. It is a much smoother feel than College, especially during rush hour.

Back