News   May 09, 2024
 13     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Good find!

First, some comments on the above: What's with the prison yard railings on the outside? I assume this a suicide prevention barrier? I don't care for the aesthetic, I hope something better can be arrived at.

Second, 3.45M for the curb lane seems excessive, as does 3.3M for the inside lane. A bit of shaving there would be good.....3.3M for the curb lane, 3.0M for the interior lane would free up an extra .45M for pedestrians and cyclists.

Third, the barrier separating the cycle track from vehicles should be attractive, just use a nice form for poured concrete, and a more attractive railing with some colour (even black)

Now for other images related to this project:

View attachment 380503

View attachment 380504
View attachment 380505

View attachment 380506

View attachment 380507

View attachment 380508

View attachment 380509

View attachment 380510

View attachment 380511

Edit to Add, err, Tag, @H4F33Z whose comments on all this I would be most interested to read.
The bridge reconstruction timeline is too long, but every design feature is perfect. Everything I asked for, is being proposed. The cycle tracks, the wider sidewalks, the protected intersections, the raised and island bus stops, the turn separation, the bike lane connections and on and on.

Don't forget the local advocates who spent years making it possible. This was the first initiative I ever led in my neighbourhood, and I am pleased to see things starting to happen.

I am encouraged that protected intersections are slowly, slowly wiggling their way into north american civil engineers' playbooks. Still not all the way to bright but progress nonetheless.
Ottawa is going all in on protected intersections. They apparently have dozens in the works. I'm happy to see them start to appear in Toronto too. Intersections have long been the weakest link in our cycling infrastructure. We're finally seeing bike lanes being designed closer to international best practices.

The bridge reconstruction timeline is too long, but every design feature is perfect. Everything I asked for, is being proposed. The cycle tracks, the wider sidewalks, the protected intersections, the raised and island bus stops, the turn separation, the bike lane connections and on and on.

Don't forget the local advocates who spent years making it possible. This was the first initiative I ever led in my neighbourhood, and I am pleased to see things starting to happen.

Congratulations on your first leadership effort, and its success; may it be the first of many, many more!

Reminder that the feedback form for the "Bartlett-Havelock-Gladstone Cycling Connections" is open until Thursday, February 24, 2022!

https://www.toronto.ca/community-pe...tlett-havelock-gladstone-cycling-connections/

8e33-Havelock20220121.jpg

Anyone know what's happening with the promised improvements to the Lower Don Trail? I wrote to the project coordinator 4 weeks ago, no response. See: https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...ents-expansion-redevelopment/lower-don-trail/

Work was finally supposed to start early last fall and were "anticipated to be complete with the trail open for summer 2022." Clearly not happening!

"In spring 2021, the City of Toronto is set to start* Lower Don Trail improvements between Riverdale Park and Corktown Common. Improvements include the addition of an accessible ramp at Riverdale Park, a staircase at Dundas Street and a trail widening and surface improvements between Riverdale Park and Corktown Common. This construction could result in a closure of the Lower Don Trail for most of 2021 between Pottery Road and Corktown Common. This closure will impact thousands of people and will limit safe and direct access to greenspace and nearby destinations. To reduce the impact of the Lower Don Trail closure, the City of Toronto is extending the temporary ActiveTO multi-use trail on Bayview Avenue between River Street and Mill Street to provide a safe, direct and comfortable Lower Don Trail construction detour route between Pottery Road and Corktown Common."

*Construction timing is subject to change

Anyone know what's happening with the promised improvements to the Lower Don Trail?

Because you asked nicely..........

I phoned staff at 4:58pm on a Friday, and they picked up, LOL

Sooooo, update will come to the website shortly. But the gist is this:
Due to the contractor not being able to get the necessary permits in place in time to begin work last year, the timelines have shifted.

Work is planned to go ahead later this year; with substantial completion in late autumn 2022.
Some minor work, including some plantings may be completed in spring 2023.

Last edited:
Anyone know what's happening with the promised improvements to the Lower Don Trail? I wrote to the project coordinator 4 weeks ago, no response. See: https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...ents-expansion-redevelopment/lower-don-trail/

Work was finally supposed to start early last fall and were "anticipated to be complete with the trail open for summer 2022." Clearly not happening!

"In spring 2021, the City of Toronto is set to start* Lower Don Trail improvements between Riverdale Park and Corktown Common. Improvements include the addition of an accessible ramp at Riverdale Park, a staircase at Dundas Street and a trail widening and surface improvements between Riverdale Park and Corktown Common. This construction could result in a closure of the Lower Don Trail for most of 2021 between Pottery Road and Corktown Common. This closure will impact thousands of people and will limit safe and direct access to greenspace and nearby destinations. To reduce the impact of the Lower Don Trail closure, the City of Toronto is extending the temporary ActiveTO multi-use trail on Bayview Avenue between River Street and Mill Street to provide a safe, direct and comfortable Lower Don Trail construction detour route between Pottery Road and Corktown Common."

*Construction timing is subject to change
As someone who likes to walk that trail I don’t mind how the near moonscape surface slows bicycles down.

Unfortunately the City uses green to represent "shared" space which to me makes no sense!
I wouldn't want to see so much of a street covered in green paint. I think it looks kinda cheap and distracts from the cityscape. I would be fine with the red asphalt that is used in the Netherlands for their bike lanes... and that would also mean a smoother and more comfortable ride, due to its superior quality to regular asphalt.

I wouldn't want to see so much of a street covered in green paint. I think it looks kinda cheap and distracts from the cityscape. I would be fine with the red asphalt that is used in the Netherlands for their bike lanes... and that would also mean a smoother and more comfortable ride, due to its superior quality to regular asphalt.
Using paint makes the surface more slippery.

Using paint makes the surface more slippery.

Non-slip paints for outdoor surfaces are widely available.

You can buy them for your driveway or patio at Home Depot.

Obviously the City would use a commercial-grade.

But slip factor shouldn't be an inordinate issue if the correct coating is being applied.

An example below:

A better example, the actual commercial-grade stuff used for bike lanes, dyed green:

From the above:

1645911528675.png

I know we're too cheap to ever do this in Toronto, but I wish we'd just fully paint bicycle lanes green like other cities do.

Non-slip paints for outdoor surfaces are widely available.

You can buy them for your driveway or patio at Home Depot.

Obviously the City would use a commercial-grade.

But slip factor shouldn't be an inordinate issue if the correct coating is being applied.

An example below:

A better example, the actual commercial-grade stuff used for bike lanes, dyed green:

From the above:

View attachment 382076
I honestly don't care what color the bike lanes are painted, as long as there is some form of color indicating that "THIS IS A SPACE FOR CYCLISTS!"

I honestly don't care what color the bike lanes are painted, as long as there is some form of color indicating that "THIS IS A SPACE FOR CYCLISTS!"

And have some form of physical protection, wherever practical.

Back