News   May 06, 2024
 512     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 692     1 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Plans afoot for upgrades to the College Street bike lanes; moving portions to curb-separated Cycle Tracks, and other bits to parking-protected bike lanes.

Link: https://www.toronto.ca/community-pe...rastructure-projects/college-street-upgrades/

Public meeting Nov. 15th, and Registration for same at the link above.

From the above:

View attachment 361489

View attachment 361491

View attachment 361490

View attachment 361492
I know it gets narrow but the missing link between Manning and Shaw is very dangerous (not much space between streetcar tracks and patios) and needs to be corrected. Would be cool to see some kind of creative solution here (i.e. city builds the local businesses a narrower but more appealing curb-lane patio space, making room for bike lanes with a concrete divider)

the College Right of Way is equally wide from Manning through to Church, there is no reason the lanes can't be extended eastward through the core while still maintaining the same amount of vehicle lanes, just as has been done further west. It always frustrates me that it never seems to be on the City's radar as it's really low hanging fruit.

I know it gets narrow but the missing link between Manning and Shaw is very dangerous (not much space between streetcar tracks and patios) and needs to be corrected. Would be cool to see some kind of creative solution here (i.e. city builds the local businesses a narrower but more appealing curb-lane patio space, making room for bike lanes with a concrete divider)

I'd love to see something more aggressive -- close the South side curb lane to cars, make it a two-way cycle track, limit the north side curb lane to stopping and deliveries only. No left-turns off College. Just spitballing...

Plans afoot for upgrades to the College Street bike lanes; moving portions to curb-separated Cycle Tracks, and other bits to parking-protected bike lanes.

Link: https://www.toronto.ca/community-pe...rastructure-projects/college-street-upgrades/

Public meeting Nov. 15th, and Registration for same at the link above.

From the above:

View attachment 361489

View attachment 361491

View attachment 361490

View attachment 361492
Did they forget about the Downtown Parks & Public Realm Plan? It's not supposed to be just bike lanes, we're supposed to be seeing a complete reimagination of this street or a "grand promenade", according to the plan.

This is what's supposed to happen...
Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 11.27.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 11.26.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 11.30.31 PM.png

... But all we see here are bike lane improvements, despite the fact that the entire street is going to be rebuilt as part of TTC streetcar track work. I'm so confused.

Did they forget about the Downtown Parks & Public Realm Plan? It's not supposed to be just bike lanes, we're supposed to be seeing a complete reimagination of this street or a "grand promenade", according to the plan.

This is what's supposed to happen...
View attachment 361670View attachment 361669View attachment 361671
... But all we see here are bike lane improvements, despite the fact that the entire street is going to be rebuilt as part of TTC streetcar track work. I'm so confused.

Those goals all sound very vague.

Those goals all sound very vague.
I don't think they're very detailed, but my whole point is that these goals should be addressed when the street is getting rebuilt. Nevertheless, I think it's an amazing plan and I really hope it actually gets implemented. On another note, if we want the provincial government to stop letting developers ignore these plans... we have to get rid of Doug Ford's government and (imo) the NDP is the best option since they're not influenced by developers.

Last edited:
Apparently, College won't be rebuilt as a Great Street because it would require rerouting sewers and water mains, which the city isn't ready to do at the moment. That's what Mike Layton said. For now, we'll just have a bike lane without any major street transformations for College St.
Gotta love a city that somehow thinks it's saving money by rebuilding a street twice instead of just doing it properly the first time.

Hi all,

Longtime lurker (I used to have a profile/account a decade ago but the username/password have been lost to time). I don't believe I've seen any info about the Rosedale Valley Road Multi-Use Trail Reconstruction project on this thread and I believe the project page on the city website is hot off the press. This route is near and dear to my heart since it's my main access point into the Don Valley ravine cycling network and, based on my first-hand experience, it can certainly use a makeover. According to the website, tender and construction is anticipated for late 2022 or early 2023.

Anyway, check out the project page which also links to a conceptual design map and presentation.
https://www.toronto.ca/services-pay...e-valley-road-multi-use-trail-reconstruction/

Edit: I should add that I attended a presentation of the proposal at a recent Bloor East Neighbourhood Association (BENA) meeting, which is where I first heard about this project. BENA has been doing some great advocacy work to make this project a reality so hats off to them.

Back