News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Yeah, these provide more of a visual/tactile barrier to the bike lane. If we were actually serious about keeping cars out of a bike lane we'd use much higher concrete barriers and/or bollards.

A mix of options is reasonable; generally favouring more meaningful barriers as the legal/or common driving speeding increases.

That said, individual stretches of road may need differing treatments based on propensity for reckless or drunk driving, or to address problems due to a given area (illegal dropoffs/parking etc.).

We can never and should never build maximum barriers everywhere; I don't want to walk down a sidewalk with a 4ft (or taller) concrete barrier to keep me safe from an idiot or a terrorist.

I have no desire to be a victim of either; but I don't want to live in a prison to feel safe.

But I also agree there are locations where more material separation is essential.

In general, I would prefer a streetscaped solution (landscaped boulevards/with trees and flowers) where space permits.

But where it does not, its not unreasonable to look for mini-jersey barriers or other appropriate measures.

In the case of this section of Bloor, we have seen repeated, serious problems.

So something substantive is called for; but I'm happy to see the City taking an interim step given the lag time to implement something more substantial.

It seems like this year has seen a lot of good progress in Toronto and elsewhere. I find that encouraging and hope the momentum continues. It's remarkable to see where things are now vs 10 years ago, even if it is frustrating that certain paradigms haven't been challenged yet. Protected intersections are the next big thing to try and get into the public consciousness in North America.

I have some details on a new Bloor St E street design and upgrades for the bike lanes. This is directly form Layton’s office:

”We were just notified that Staff will be installing concrete curbs between Sherbourne and Church later this week to address the issue of cars entering/driving in the lane. They are also drafting plans for the installation of concrete curbs between Church and Avenue, which they will share with our office for review in the coming weeks, and which will be installed soon after (these ones are slightly more complicated than those further east as they require relocation of the existing planters and waves, and need to be removable).

I want to highlight that the current configuration of the lanes is part of a temporary pilot. If the lanes are to be made permanent (which will be decided by Council in 2021), then Staff will recommend a new design (likely one that is similar to Bloor Street West through Bloorcourt and Bloordale).

Initially we were told that in this interim scenario, a different configuration would not be possible, as it would require the relocation of Bloor's centre line, which would necessitate a scale of work that does not align with the temporary/rapid nature of this installation. However, due to the issues that have arisen since the installation of the bike lanes, Staff recently agreed to moving the centre line this spring (unfortunately it is now too cold for the new paint to adhere to the road), which will allow for parking-protected bike lanes on one side of Bloor, and will get rid of the pick-up/drop-off areas that currently cross the bike lanes. Once plans for these are available I would be happy to share them.”

Basically protests from so many residents that this ActiveTO implementation was the worse perceived in the city, the Councillor and Transportation from the city had and have to act. A bike count observed 5k people on bikes within 24hrs on Bloor in the Yorkville area. So this is a major connection that needs to be done righ!

I'm really glad Councillor Layton, is taking action. The entire cycling community has been posting non-stop about how the bike lanes always have cars in them in Yorkville and is the worst ActiveTO installation.

The Bloor bike corridor is just as strong as it's gaps. And we're still asking his office to get some protection between Spadina and Bathurst (north side). The bike lanes are blocked by cars a lot and are unprotected. Transportation staff says "not enough space, oh well" but they've done so much stuff this year. At least put in those flimsy bollards on the line. They can make Bloor a perfect corridor for biking if they try.

Some flimsy bollards would be better than just paint.

1609053106066.png

Something interesting I dug up when looking through a 2018 Smarttrack report: some proposals for the Barrie Line Railpath when the Davenport Diamond overpass is built.

I don't even recall seeing this detailed of renderings.

Whats the current status of this? Still going ahead as planned?

West_PIC_PresentationMar_1_2018_Page_14.png
West_PIC_PresentationMar_1_2018_Page_15.png
West_PIC_PresentationMar_1_2018_Page_16.png

Also that Trevor Haywood guy has a good post reviewing the Toronto Park Authority Trail strategy in Toronto

1609265808605.png

Its really in-depth and interesting, and then there is an update in 2019 with more information from TPA

Interestingly, the Barrie Rail Path isn't on any of this map

Also that Trevor Haywood guy has a good post reviewing the Toronto Park Authority Trail strategy in Toronto

View attachment 291492

Its really in-depth and interesting, and then there is an update in 2019 with more information from TPA

Interestingly, the Barrie Rail Path isn't on any of this map

Trevor is such a phenomenal resource.

His posts on missing connections across highways; and on private properties (missing links) in waterfront park systems are other truly great efforts on his part.

@DSC made note of TO Inview updating recently adding many 2022 projects.

I wen to have a look-see at what's proposed for this year and next.

I'm posting what I found interesting below.

Not all of that is new; and I caution, it may not be accurate either, as I have found Inview to have many errors over the years............nonetheless......

First up.......apparently some form of Bike lane is under consideration for Kingston Road, from Ellesmere to Rylander this year.

This is a short stint in the far east end, where Kingston Road goes under the 401.

1609781902279.png

1609781951847.png

Next project I made note of could be a big one.

Bike lanes on Bayview, from Egliinton to Post Road:

1609782116846.png

1609782160795.png

Then there's this one, in the middle of nowhere (Rouge Park) on Reesor, and also a portion of Old Finch.

1609782303746.png

Also contemplated for far eastern Scarborough: (Leslie to Yorkland (notably includes crossing of 404)

1609782356237.png

Over in North York, Sheppard East seems set for a Bikeway of some description:

1609782428407.png

1609782471914.png

Etobicoke seems to be getting something on North Queen:

1609782627236.png

Plus an extension of the Queensway Bike lanes west to Park Lawn:

1609782697769.png

Also on the books: Lawrence Avenue West; Jane to Weston

1609782981937.png

A short stint of Highway 27:

1609783071763.png

Sentinel, Sheppard to Stilecroft:

1609783129462.png

Chesswood/Champagne/Allness (Sheppard to Finch Hydro Corridor Trail)

1609783170322.png

A portion of Overlea Blvd:

1609783386948.png

Also, Pape going south from the Millwood Bridge;

And The Donway.

Last edited:
Something I took note of in reading Inview is that Don Mills is scheduled for a re-do from O'Connor to Overlea.

Currently there is no pedestrian or cycling infra along Don Mills until you reach the new trail that leads up to Overlea from the valley.

I know Transportation would make a face, if only because they previously refused a request for a sidewalk on this section of road; but I think this is a generational opportunity to secure some type of safe passage for pedestrians or cyclists or both.

It would probably necessitate a re-do of the gabion baskets (retaining walls) along the Don Mills-O'Connor ascent.

If we can't win that one; we should, at the very least, gain access from the Overlea side, on-road, to the drive-way into Charles Sauriol/Taylor Creek Park; and ideally a new connection directly into ET Seton as well.

But my preference here would be a multi-use path, with jersey barrier providing a joint pedestrian/cycling access route.

Back