News   Jul 16, 2024
 622     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 569     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 711     2 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

I've read that the ActiveTO lanes will all be in place "by summer", presumably June 21st!

I believe the company line was "most by end of June, all by end of July." The Bloor West lanes timeline is a bit less known given that it is the only ActiveTO measure that is being installed on a permanent basis; they were originally slated for installation in August, but Staff have said that that timeline is being accelerated, without offering anything more specific.

We'll, this is a welcome and surprising change. Dundas East, west of Broadview. I don't think I've seen this before, where bike lanes take out an entire lane of traffic, forcing the all cars into the streetcar lane.

IMG_20200605_1837517.jpg

IMG_20200605_1836592.jpg

We'll, this is a welcome and surprising change. Dundas East, west of Broadview. I don't think I've seen this before, where bike lanes take out an entire lane of traffic, forcing the all cars into the streetcar lane.

View attachment 249796

View attachment 249797

For the long term, they could build a pedestrian and bicycle bridge on both sides of the existing bridge. Even shifting into the parkland or city owned green space. Would be a bit of a problem with privately owned green space.

If they can do it here, why not take out a lane each way on Gerrard between River and Parliament?
TTC refuses to operate streetcar tracks on roads with less than 4 lanes from my understanding unless it's in it's own right of way. Getting them to agree to the curb bump outs on Roncesvalles was a huge challenge from my understanding.

Thus Gerrard retaining it's 1970's 4 lane configuration between Parliament and River - The TTC has streetcar tracks on it.

Back to Dundas, this NE corner of River needs protection. A cyclist is bound to be killed by right-turning trucks otherwise, especially with the condo construction ongoing.

IMG_20200605_2026357.jpg

Last edited:
Is there any reason Liberty Village doesn't have more bike lanes? East Liberty is basically a 4 lane road with 0 markings for a sizable chunk. LV could have a pretty great cycling network.

Edit: wrote this then remembered the new street running parallel to the train tracks at the south end of LV. Maybe with more road space they can dedicate some road to a bike lane.

Last edited:
Gotta love the repeated emphasis on the "temporary" nature of these bike lanes. I assume a) something more permanent will be done sometime later? or b) some will be scrapped when traffic returns to business as usual post Covid? Glass half full half empty kind of situation.

I believe the liberty village new street plan includes a dedicated bidirectional cycle track.

the temporary thing like always is the required political part to get them built. Richmond Adelaide and Bloor were temporary as well initially.

these will be built and most likely made permanent in a year or so once COVID is solidly behind us.

I believe the liberty village new street plan includes a dedicated bidirectional cycle track.

the temporary thing like always is the required political part to get them built. Richmond Adelaide and Bloor were temporary as well initially.

these will be built and most likely made permanent in a year or so once COVID is solidly behind us.

Pilots. Which indicated that 1) they weren’t approved for permanent installation (a separate vote would do that) and 2) they weren’t necessarily the final design.

Brampton’s lanes on Howden Boulevard and Vodden Street are “interim” as they are on that city’s long-term plans, but quickly implemented with signage, pylons, and bolted bollards.

Back