News   Jul 16, 2024
 69     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 823     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 957     1 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Pic of the almost-done Bathurst-Adelaide intersection, from a friend; Cycle TO is hosting an opening ceremony on the morning of the 28th next week:

upload_2017-11-22_11-14-44.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-22_11-14-44.png
    upload_2017-11-22_11-14-44.png
    771.1 KB · Views: 461
To Doug Ford, who wants to remove the Bloor Street bike lanes, don't visit New York City: Don't go to New York City and use an automobile, you might be in hell.

From Streetfilms, at this link:

The Williamsburg Bridge now has World-Class bike access from Brooklyn

Yeah. It's been in the ground for a few months, but every time I have been to the new awesome bicycle access on the Brooklyn side of the Williamsburg Bridge I haven't been with my camera or it has been too dark. So I was finally able to grab a few quick minutes of footage on the way to another shoot and had to share this right away.

If your city is telling you there is no room for making cycling safer around your bridges, have them take a look at the amount of road space and accommodation NYC DOT has done here. Elimination of parking spaces, safe & comfortable protected 2-way lanes and a configuration I have never seen anywhere just yet in the U.S. - South 5th Place off the bridge bike path exit not only has a two-way protected lane, but a painted bike lane on the street to allow for safe bike left hand turns!

What is great is not only the safety aspect, but that the city acknowledged the tendency of the instinct of cyclists on how they wanted to approach the bridge. They made it legal to go two way from every road and modified the streets to make it happen, even if it meant eliminating parking and driving lanes (and turning one street one way from two-way - you can see from 2005). And that means no more ticket stings for people who are just trying to bike to work, play, exercise or to go meet a friend up on the Billy B!

Though I haven't seen it in-person in a few weeks, I will say, looking at that picture, the queuing area does seem grossly undersized for the amount of morning rush hour demand.

Though I haven't seen it in-person in a few weeks, I will say, looking at that picture, the queuing area does seem grossly undersized for the amount of morning rush hour demand.
And prone to chaotic crossing of Bathurst unless they install a barrier on the concrete plinth to stream the queue to the crossing point.

In summers easily 40 or so cyclists pile up at this intersection. This design is basically as effective as sharrows, really. If the city was serious about providing proper biking infrastructure for the only cycling root between its employment centre and the neighbourhoods with most young people they would have confiscated some of the church's green space/parking lot and created a proper alignment. This will not do anything to reduce conflicts between cyclists/cars/pedestrians when hundreds of people are trying to get to work in the morning. Just half assed stuff.

biked through last night, and Bathurst/Adelaide is now fully complete except for the activation of the bike signals. Looks great with the paint down now. Looking forward for the bike signal to be activated.

The Queuing area isn't extremely wide, only enough for 2-3 bikes, but it is very deep. I suspect people will be able to fit. Mind you, I counter commute through it so even in summer time it's never more than 6 or 7 bikes waiting with me to go through.

And here are some pics from yesterday's "official" opening. I was there for about 15 mins and didn't see a single person mis-using the intersection. Always astonished at how much bicycle traffic there is at rush hour here -- bikes definitely seem to outnumber cars.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    244 KB · Views: 467
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    237.2 KB · Views: 435
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 457
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    210.6 KB · Views: 451
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    250.2 KB · Views: 454
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 456
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    298.9 KB · Views: 448
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 443
Also, in the 15-minute span I was there, we saw two people wipe out on the green paint. City staff were there and assured us that the green paint is, in fact, no more slippery than regular asphalt, but needless to say folks were skeptical.

Mike Layton was there leading on the cheering (he was an important force in getting this done), and he said they've gotten city staff to agree to remove the now-defunct bus shelter on the sidewalk here to make way for a new bike share station, which is obviously a great idea given the convergence of bike infrastructure here.

And here are some pics from yesterday's "official" opening. I was there for about 15 mins and didn't see a single person mis-using the intersection. Always astonished at how much bicycle traffic there is at rush hour here -- bikes definitely seem to outnumber cars.
I rode through just minutes after the ribbon cutting and had a nice chat with a woman from Cycle TO. We agreed that there should be a button to activate the bike signal at the right side of the northbound channel by the stop line.

I rode through just minutes after the ribbon cutting and had a nice chat with a woman from Cycle TO. We agreed that there should be a button to activate the bike signal at the right side of the northbound channel by the stop line.

100%; for those who haven't seen it, yet, the only one currently there is set up for the southbound-queuing cyclists.

Back