News   Sep 03, 2024
 612     2 
News   Sep 03, 2024
 908     1 
News   Sep 03, 2024
 1.9K     0 

Cronyism at the TTC (video)

A bit freaky sounding.

If you're afraid to record your own voice, why not have a friend who is unrelated to the TTC read the script?

I don't have any doubt that the tentacles of cronyism run very deep in the TTC, but this video comes off like a nosy gossip column as read on Power Point by the robot dub-machine from Radiohead's "Fitter Happier".

and isn't it strange that it's leaking the day before our good friend Bob Kinnear is to hold a news conference RE: strike.

and ooooh... a ladder to represent the corporate ladder, how creative.

So she had a job at the TTC before she even met someone in a high position, has climbed the ladder since, and without seeing her resume and accomplishments there must be something wrong? I think seeing her resume is relevant to the discussion isn't it? Does the fact she became involved with someone mean she should be forced to quit or accept no promotions? Are promotions and demotions in the TTC at the sole discretion of one person? Shouldn't the person who was demoted be demanding to know why or is that person part of the conspiracy as well?

"Does the fact she became involved with someone mean she should be forced to quit or accept no promotions?"

This is why relationships with superiors, even indirect ones, are a bad idea. Conflict of interest policies require avoiding even the appearance of a conflict. Contracts for example can't go to relatives of senior govt officials in a position to influence decisions even if the relative has the best offer.

If this person's career path is hampered by her relationship its sort of their fault. You can never know whether promo decisions are completely objective and its unreasonable to ask people to figure it out.

So, "yes", maybe she needs to look for work elsewhere? Unfair, perhaps.

But wouldn't the same logic say that work buddies might be more likely get promoted so if you make any friends at work you should be terminated. I think as long as the promotions and demotions are not the decision of a single individual and jobs are defined based on skills required and multiple candidates are reviewed then it shouldn't matter. What matters most are the policies in place, not how well people know each other.

Back