News   Jul 17, 2024
 253     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 797     1 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 632     0 

Crime rate in Toronto?

I check www.spotcrime.com to see if there's been crimes in the area recently. It's basically a map with major crimes committed overlayed. The Toronto Police site also has stats somewhere, I think.

Hi Therion, this website is really helpful...

But according to this crime map : http://spotcrime.com/on/toronto
Yonge/Bloor is the most dangerous area in toronto....Is that ture??

Absolutely not. There is a very high density of people in downtown, so even if there are a large number of crimes, the actual crime rate is low.

This map is terrible. It is not a good indicator of safety.

What happened to Parkdale, when you tell people from other parts of the GTA that you live in Parkdale they start to sweat and shiver.:D

That's so 1990's, today that happens when you say Rexdale...

Well, Yonge and Bloor is dangerous at 2:00 AM on weekends, same as most other major streets. If you look at the individual crimes, they are all committed by young people on other young people late in the night. They are mostly crimes of opportunity.

Well, Yonge and Bloor is dangerous at 2:00 AM on weekends, same as most other major streets. If you look at the individual crimes, they are all committed by young people on other young people late in the night. They are mostly crimes of opportunity.

I really don't know if I'd call it dangerous at 2:00AM ... at any time for that matter.

Considering the number people walking in this area this isn't even a lot - it's a little bit - most of it being robberies.

If you factor in the # of people it's probably less dangerous then all the other places in the city also definitely parts of the inner 905 (some parts...)

If you look at the individual crimes, they are all committed by young people on other young people late in the night. They are mostly crimes of opportunity.

Is that what they're called? I've always referred to them as 'packs of punk-ass bitches taking what they're not decent enough to earn for themselves' or 'douchebags ruining another cat's night'. I guess 'crimes of opportunity' works though.

Is that what they're called? I've always referred to them as 'packs of punk-ass bitches taking what they're not decent enough to earn for themselves' or 'douchebags ruining another cat's night'. I guess 'crimes of opportunity' works though.

I was being nice... I like your description better.

Hmmm... I haven't found Yonge and Bloor area dangerous at 2 am. I've been far more uncomfortable at 2 am walking around in the Richmond St. club district.

Where in Yonge and Bloor specifically? I will admit though that often times when I'm in that area I'm maybe a half-block west or a half-block south.

Last edited:
It seems to me, just from news reports, that most crime happens around North York (somewhere near Jane) and in Scarborough

Actually, when I first moved to Toronto, I couldn't tell them apart they are almost mirror images of each other

Some neighbourhoods with higher than average crime rates are fantastic places to live. While I can understand wanting to identify and avoid certian pockets (Jane-Finch, Rexdale), there are better ways to narrow your search.

Toronto is a safe place. Even 'hoods with some sketch can be desireable places to live (Trinity-Bellwoods, Roncesvalles-Parkdale, Cabbagetown, Leslieville).

I think this is a recipe for disaster:
1) Find the 5 lowest crime rate neighbourhoods
2) Look at, and buy, a house/condo only in these 'hoods

Some neighbourhoods with higher than average crime rates are fantastic places to live. While I can understand wanting to identify and avoid certian pockets (Jane-Finch, Rexdale), there are better ways to narrow your search.

Toronto is a safe place. Even 'hoods with some sketch can be desireable places to live (Trinity-Bellwoods, Roncesvalles-Parkdale, Cabbagetown, Leslieville).

I think this is a recipe for disaster:
1) Find the 5 lowest crime rate neighbourhoods
2) Look at, and buy, a house/condo only in these 'hoods
Why is it a recipe for disaster? I agree it is a lousy way to look for a place to live, but at least you won't as likely be shot by a gang member in one of those neighbourhoods. Living in a boring and expensive but safe neighbourhood is hardly a disaster.

Back